Saturday, 22 November 2014

Carrier (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Carrier (The Line #1)
Author:  Anne Tibbets
Publisher:  Carina Press 

Published Date: 16th June 2014
Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Synopsis:  Twenty-two-year-old Naya has spent nearly half her life as a sex slave in a government institution called The Line. Excommunicated after getting pregnant with twins, she's left with no way to earn a living and a horrifying choice to make: find someone to replace her at the institution by the time she gives birth, or have her babies taken in her stead.

Ric Bennett wants to help. A doctor with a history of aiding ex-Line girls, he runs a team of rebels that can delete Naya's records, prevent her from having to make an impossible choice, and free her forever. But when his plan is sniffed out, things get bloody, fast. The Line wants them back. The organization has discovered information about Naya and her twins that make them more valuable than just sex slaves. It makes them dangerous—and part of The Line's larger plan.

As they hide from government search parties, Ric comes to admire Naya's quiet strength. And Naya realizes Ric might be a man she can trust. If they make it off the grid, they could build a new life. But first they'll have to survive the long, vicious reach of The Line.

Review: This book was so amazing. I loved every minute of it, from the very beginning and was hooked until it was finished!
 
Is it just me, or have I been blessed with reading a lot of good books lately?


One thing I loved about this book was that it was dealing with a very serious topic – and that would be prostitution. You don’t really see many authors approach such a serious and emotional topic because if you do it wrong, it’s all wrong. But somehow, with the blunt flashbacks that told us everything about Naya’s past, we manage to get a clear picture of how horrible it is and what it must’ve been like. At the end of the book Anne attached a link to a charity which helps with stopping human trafficking and forced prostitution, and at the end I donated immediately. That’s how moving the story of that was.

But there was a lot more to this novel that made me love it as well. It would have to be the characters. First off, don’t you just love the name Naya? On top of that, she was such a great voice to see things from. She’s newly pregnant, thrown out into the world and scrambling to get a bearing underneath us. We get to see this new world through her disbelieving eyes, and see the fear of men looming over as well as her strength and she struggles through various difficulties just to protect her future kids, and herself. She loves her friends and we see this throughout the book because she would do anything for them.

Ric was a good love interest, and I liked the slow love that formed between them! But I have to say my second favourite character was Tym, the funny, confident computer hacker. He was awesome ;)

The only thing that brought down this novel a notch from scoring the full stars was that it was both original and unoriginal at the same time. Original as in we have the prostitution, the characters and the plot which has to do with the babies (can’t say too much due to spoilers!). But unoriginal because we see something we see in a lot of books set in a dystopian sort of world. There are Outsiders, outside of the wall that no one knows much about, and everyone is taught about. it just seemed so cliché, I didn’t really like the idea of it. Thankfully it isn’t too focused on in this first book and is only mentioned in passing, which makes me think that Anne is setting this up to be a major plotline in book two!

I can’t wait to continue the series. This book will suck you in right to the end, and is highly recommended from me!

Olivia’s Question: Has a book ever moved you deeply to act? Which one was it?

Olivia-Savannah x

24 comments:

  1. I don't know, but I read a bunch of awesome books in November too. Maybe it's the magic of this month. This book sounds great and with a serious and difficult topic.

    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/
    Check Out My New Food Blog Flavour Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there must be something about November. Good books make me happy :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia - I remember my site being part of a promo for this book, but haven't read it yet. With your wonderful review, I need to move it further up on the TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must've promoted it before I started following your blog. You should really try it!

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting! The idea is a little similar to one of mine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review! This book sounds different from the norm and I love that the author was not afraid of focusing on such a tough subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty different from most I have read. Reading the author's note I found out the publisher wanted her to remove the flashbacks which were so tough, but she persisted in knowing they were needed.

      Delete
  5. This sounds really good. It reminds me a little of J.A. Redmerski series In the Company of Killers. The flashbacks and characters have me curious. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of those books before, but I will definitely check them out! Seeing as I liked this I might like those too ^^

      Delete
  6. Great review! I'm definitely interested in this book and about to go check it out, I'm happy for you that you've read so many good books recently!

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/blog-tour-becoming-beauty-by-sarah.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it makes me happy too! ^.^ I hope you enjoy this read.

      Delete
  7. This one looks like one I may like! I love reading books that tackle serious topics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It may be harder to write but when done well, it can really reach the reader.

      Delete
  8. I've read very few books that deal with prostitution, and Carrier seems to do it well. After reading your review, I have to add this to my TBR! :)

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there aren't many of those kind around! I hope you like it :3

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a really interesting book, even the title is so catchy! Thanks for sharing & amazing review.

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    Hardcover Copy of Betrayed Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really like the title as well ^^ Can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  10. Oooh prostitution! This sounds like an interesting and heartbreaking read! I loved your review!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant review! I've never even heard of this book but you have me itching to get my hands on it now. You've definitely sold me on it, I'll be adding it to the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful that I managed to stumble upon this little gem and author who I am beginning to love! I hope you enjoy it when you try it out ^^

      Delete
  12. I have to read this book! It sounds amazing, but incredibly emotional, and I don't think I'm quite in the mood for that yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really amazing! But yes, make sure you are ready for the onslaught of emotions.

      Delete