Saturday, 8 November 2014

Day Zero (Review)

Morning :)

Title: Day Zero
Author:  Summer Lane
Publisher: WB publishing

Published Date:  10th October 2014
Rating: 3.5 Stars

*Thank you to the author for sending me a copy for review*

Synopsis:  Elle is a survivor.
Since the collapse of modern society, she's been living in the remains of downtown Hollywood, California, foraging for food and fighting for her life.
And then everything changes.
After she is forced out of her home, she heads north. What she finds is a group of bunker survivors, unlikely comrades, and the hope of a safe haven. Together, they journey toward the dregs of civilization, facing starvation, imprisonment and death.
They are alone, but they are ready.
Day Zero begins today.

Review: This was a novella, which means it was a quick read at only 170 pages. As a novella, it had everything it needed to have in there and was a pretty enjoyable read as well. We got some character development, action and a good story in a shorter amount of pages than usual, and that is pretty admirable.

Elle is the main character, a teenager who has been left to fend for herself in a world where there is the Omega always watching everyone and the Klan is out to get everyone and kill them. She has had to survive through this on her own and scavenge for food. The thing is, in this town the food is running out. Now where will she go?

Elle was a tough character. I felt like she was a bit conveniently prepped for this situation seeing as she had done gymnastics and martial arts before Day Zero, but then again I let it go because of course there will always be some people better prepped than others in an apocalypse. She’s definitely someone who rolls solo and is a very tough cookie after all she’s seen. But when she ends up traveling with a group she changes, and that’s when we see the character development shine through. I wasn’t expecting any, so I was impressed when I saw it. I felt like all Elle really wanted was to feel safe, and to find happiness. She just didn't know where to look.

The story has its fair share of action-y moments in here. They were pretty well done and all, but I wanted something more eventful and bigger. It was enough for a novella, but maybe in the next book there will be something more big happening in terms of plotline.

The backstory was handled well and I think we were able to see enough of Elle’s history to understand her reasons for doing certain things. We also got a bit of backstory for each of the people she ended up traveling with as well, except one. His past remained a mystery and it’s either to be unlocked in future books, or the author forgot to resolve that one. Either way, I still want to know!

This book was pretty much romance free, which was brilliant because there aren’t nearly enough of those books, and I don’t see where the author could’ve crammed it in amongst everything else. I’m looking forward to the sequel!

Ongoing giveaway: Open internationally, but do check the terms and conditions!

http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/f2a15e3130/" rel="nofollow">a Rafflecopter giveaway


Olivia’s Question: What three things would you like with you in an apocalypse?

Olivia-Savannah x
Disclaimer: All images are not mine and were found on Pinterest.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia - Sounds like a depressing book; yet interesting, too. Q: What three things would you like with you in an apocalypse? A: my Bible; Few family pics; coffee can (for potty) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at some times it was a little heavy to read, but I do think the main characters and the way they functioned like a family made it all more bearable. Those are some good things to have with you as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review, Olivia! The plot sounds interesting and the fact that is only a 170 pages of a book makes me think how the world building is done and how the characters develop because that's not a lot of pages to work with. Anyhow, my main problem is that it's a dystopian book and I'm quite fed up with YA dystopian books because they always end up disappointing me so.... if I ever feel the urge to read one, maybe I should give this a try =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. Dystopian is a genre that is getting quite overdone, but I do think this book leans more to the apocalyptic side of things! I think the author managed to do a good job within the pages she had.

      Delete
  3. I'm really interested in this book now, dystopians are usually a hit or miss for me and I hope I enjoy it :) great review

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/top-five-friday-4-books-i-wish-to-re.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds really interesting, thanks for an amazing review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting book. I love a quick read - I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does go quickly, but it's still fun!

      Delete
  6. Really good review! It made me want to read a book I would probably not have picked up otherwise. (:

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do like it and am glad the review could change your mind!

      Delete
  7. I love how you say there are some people who are just better prepped for an apocalypse. So very true! Now, I would be in a sad state if the world came to an end. Unless I could read my way out of trouble!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I think I would be likewise! I would probably curl up and try to find out what other characters did in similar cases :D

      Delete
  8. Great review! I sort of like that she was tough and prepped for the apocalypse because it gives insight into someone who has had training. (Maybe I could pick up some tips on how to survive when the zombies hit ... >_> LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would also need some training beforehand if there was going to be an apocalypse!

      Delete
  9. I would like a warrior who would fight fiercely for me till the bitter end and can protect me, a group of friends and someone with knowledge on survival. I think I like the idea that this book is less about romance and more about a different sort of relationship between a group. I also like the idea of how the group changes the character, for me, thing that makes me want to read the book the most. Who was your favourite character? Or does that person reveal the plot-line too much or do you simply not have a favourite character? I'm just curious because you didn't mention anyone else in the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those would be the perfect people to have around you! I didn't really have a favourite character in this one.

      Delete