Thursday, 20 November 2014

Tortured Souls (Review)

Morning!

Title: Tortured Souls
Author:  Kimber Leigh Wheaton
Publisher:  Sea Dragon Press 

Published Date:  28th June 2014
Rating: 2 Stars

Synopsis:  Kacie Ramsey sees ghosts—and it's ruining her life. Her mother left, her father blames her, and no matter how hard she tries, she can't keep the ghosts away. Now a new power has emerged. Nightly visions of grisly murders and a relentless predator draw her to the brink of insanity.

When the phantom appears at a party, Kacie's longtime crush, Logan, saves her. He invites her to join the Orion Circle, a group of supernatural hunters with chapters in schools all over the country. Through the Circle, Kacie learns to embrace her spiritual powers, and for the first time in her life she feels in control rather than a victim.

But the Foxblood Demon will not give up so easily. A demented serial killer in life who trapped the souls of the thirteen children he murdered, imprisoning them within the walls of his mansion. Now in death, he plots his return while drawing power from the pure souls of the children. He recognizes something in Kacie he's never seen before—a medium powerful enough to provide a vessel for his tainted soul.

Kacie can't ignore the tortured souls of the children crying out to her every night. With Logan at her side, she will fight the Foxblood Demon. But can they banish this powerful phantom, or will Kacie lose not only her body, but her eternal soul to the monster.

Review: This book is pretty hard for me to review. Is it possible to like something but hate it at the first time? 

Let’s start with the things I liked about the book. The first is that this author can write. Really write. There were some beautiful descriptions in this novel and I knew that if the plot and characters were a little bit more convincing, I would’ve loved it. Kimber Leigh Wheaton has such a way with words, and I am sure you’ll understand what I mean if you read it. And the romance scenes were especially well written :D

What made this book fall short for me was that it was kind of unbelievable. Some things happened too easily. Like when the father, who believed Kacie was lying about being able to see ghosts for all her teenage years suddenly decides to give her the benefit of doubt when a fellow teenager says it’s true. That wouldn’t happen! And then Kacie is opening up and telling all these secrets to people she has never known and… well, I just found it not very convincing :/

Another major problem – the insta-love. It had me roaring at the book for it to just please STAPH! These two people who have never talked to each other before are together after one meeting. Just no. No, no, NO!

That aside, the main character was someone I really liked at times, and at others didn’t. Kacie could be whiny, and she seemed to be moaning and falling into Logan’s arms far too often for my liking, so she bothered me in those aspects. I didn’t really see her as a strong female character, and I am all for those, because who wants to read things from a weeping girls perspective? But then again, I did have empathy for her. She had been harassed as a child, her mother had left the family presumably because of her and her powers, and it was a struggle for her to get by in her family. So then I could feel for the character at times as well. I felt mixed.

As for the elements of ghosts and whatnot, it was pretty well done, I think. The author did a good job of explaining new elements of powers to the story without info dumping the reader, and that in general was something I liked about the book.

To sum it up: I am not sure whether I want to continue reading this series or not…

Olivia’s Question: Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one before?

Olivia-Savannah x

39 comments:

  1. It' sad you were disappointed in this book though, I like the elements of ghost, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is a shame :/ But the idea of ghosts in a story was a good one.

      Delete
  2. The first thing I thought when I saw the cover was: NOPE! Too cheesy for me LOL and then, we have the lovely insta-love! Authors really need to understand that we don't fall for that anymore, because it's not real! But I do have to say that my tolerance towards them depends on the way it is written, you know? Most of the time they make me cringe and roll my eyes like nobody's business but some other times I can put up with them and I know is all about the writing style. So yeah, sorry this one didn't work out for you but great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cover is a bit cheesy, but you know, I love the colour of the dress ^^ That was one reason I liked it. And yes! Authors need to know insta love is not cool and is a huge turn off.

      Delete
  3. I hate when that happens - you love one aspect of the novel, but you can't get over something else and in the end you have all this mixed feelings and have no idea how to rate it. :( I have several books like that on my shelves. If it's series, I usually don't continue reading it because it's more probable that I won't like it.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's exactly how I feel, which made it hard for me to rate it. I think this will be a miss for me as well, when it comes to trying the rest of the series.

      Delete
  4. Hi Olivia - You probably really wanted to like this book. I loved the cover so was hoping for a good review. But your major problem about 'insta-love' is the same as I feel. I don't like it when characters fall into bed before falling into love. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did want to like it, but it just didn't work out too well. The cover is pretty nice ^^ They didn't quite fall into bed before falling in love, but they did see each other and fall in love instantly...

      Delete
  5. The blurb sounded promising but after reading your review everything that annoyed you would drive me crazy also. I'm not a fan of insta-love and weak female characters are something I can't tolerate at all. Great review by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like you are much like me when it comes to reading! It's a shame about those things :/

      Delete
  6. I tend to find that if the first book doesn't grab you then it's not worth following, but you never know !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I will have to let this one go :3

      Delete
  7. Yes, totally possible to like and dislike all at same time

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the synopsis for this book.. it seems really interesting. The things that you didn't like about the book; the unbelievable parts, and insta-love sound pretty frustrating though. I don't always hate the insta-love, if it's done well. I'm a cheesy romantic at heart, and I like the idea of love at first sight. Does it exist? Meh. Probably not, but it's a nice thought!
    Great review Olivia, I definitely added this one to my TBR pile (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it more than I did! The author really knows how to write and I am sure I will read her other books and enjoy them. It was just a shame about some of the frustrating elements for me.

      Delete
  9. Hi Olivia! Thanks again for always posting honest reviews. I can't stand insta-love in books or movies - so unrealistic. With regards to your questions about ghosts :) No, I don't believe in them but I know a lot of family and friends back home who do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best with the honesty, otherwise what would my opinion be worth? And yes, it is unrealistic!

      Delete
  10. Insta love is pretty much the kiss of death for me now. I used to be able to look past it a bit, especially if there were other aspects of the story that worked well (which seems to be the case here), but now my patience for it is pretty much nonexistent. I fail.

    To answer you question, I do believe in ghosts but I haven't seen on myself. I have no idea what my reaction would be if I did. I think I'd likely curl up in a fetal ball and start crying ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be *your in that last paragraph. I can't type today. Have a great weekend Olivia-Savannah!

      Delete
    2. I know the feeling! The more books you read, the more insta love goes down in its worth... and yeah, the book loses quality :/ Seeing a ghost would definitely be scary!

      Delete
  11. This is a very informative review, well written and above all -honest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you didn't like this book. Sometimes it's like that. :/ Good review though (:

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not every book will be worth the time.

      Delete
  13. I hate imsta-love too. I am a self-professed romantic, but love at first sights and insta-love is a little hard for me to believe. And this book seems far from realistic.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A romantic read can be a good read, but insta love is not a good thing. This book was a bit out there, admittedly.

      Delete
  14. From reading the blurb of this book, I didn't expect anything from it. Everything was ok until I read this part: "When the phantom appears at a party, Kacie's longtime crush, Logan, saves her. He invites her to join the Orion Circle, a group of supernatural hunters with chapters in schools all over the country."

    I smelled the insta-love, lack of realism and the "I can't do anything without my knight in shining armor" heroine right there, lol.

    I still don't understand why authors try to make insta love happen. I mean I've encountered more people that are annoyed by insta love rather than love it.

    You did a great job reviewing the book, by the way. It was straight to the point and honest. Some books are like that, they're not terribly bad but they don't make you feel like reading the next one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that might be my problem when it comes to me and choosing books. I fall in love with the cover and what the first few lines of the blurb will tell me - and not the entire thing. I really should take more care xD

      I don't see why they go for insta love either. Do they not know they are doing it?

      Thank you <3

      Delete
  15. It is a shame aspects weren't believable but I am glad to see the author is talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I look forward to trying her other books and possibly enjoying them more.

      Delete
  16. Ehh. Sounds a bit bleh xD I dislike whiny characters *frowns*
    –B

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is very much possible to hate something the first time and eventually start liking it. It happens with me as well. I really wish this had been a better read for you, Olivia. Ah... You are an insta-love non-fan, I see. Well, the fact that it was part of this book makes it such a disappointment. Great review!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think some things do grow on you.

      Delete
  18. Another great review! I am entirely convinced that this book isn't for me. I don't like it when the book doesn't seem realistic or plausible. Like the characters suddenly doing a complete 180, like you said, it wouldn't happen. I also detest insta-love! Brilliant review, I'll definitely be avoiding this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wouldn't really suggest this book to too many people at all. Insta love gets me down and frustrates me a lot :( And realism is always needed in every book!

      Delete
  19. Darn - I'm NOT a fan of insta-love! REALLY bugs me!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the insta love was not so great :/

      Delete