Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Chronicles of Steele: Raven (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Chronicles of Steele: Raven (Chronicles of Steele #1)
Author:  Pauline Creeden
Publisher:  AltWit Press
Published Date:  28th October 2014

Rating: 4 Stars

*Thank you to the ebooks4review for the review copy*

Synopsis: Human life has value.
The poor living in the gutter are as valuable as the rich living in a manor.
The scoundrel is no less valuable than the saint.
Because of this, every life a reaper takes must be redeemed.


Raven has lived by this first tenet since she was trained by her father to become a reaper. But since his death, she’s been spending years redeeming the lives she’s taken. By her count, she’s even and it’s time for that life to end. If she settles down and becomes a wife, she might just feel human again. But on the way to the life she thinks she wants, the baron of New Haven asks her to complete a task which she cannot ignore… Just when Raven decides to give up on her life as an assassin, she’s pulled right back in
.

Review: This was my first steampunk novel. Ever since hearing about the genre I knew it was going to be one I liked. And of course, in this novel I did as well!

This book was about reapers. People who kill others as part of their job. But for every life they take, they need to save another to stay in balance with themselves and not lose who they are. I haven’t read many books that include reapers in them at all yet, and I will say that this was a very unique way to portray them. They weren’t exactly anything but human – but their training almost seems to set them apart from the humans completely. I loved it!

The novel wasn’t slow paced, but there were an awful lot of details in there. In fact, as I was reading in some cases I wished the novel was a little shorter so that I wouldn’t feel like I was reading so many pointless details.

But the romance was a slow and steady one, and that I loved! No insta-love, no silly love triangles. Just Raven trying to do her job and being a little bit distracted by a certain person who is sent to stop her from doing her job. Yes, perfect timing to fall in love. What’s best about it though is that Raven doesn’t even recognise the feelings she feels throughout the novel. All she wants to do was to be focused on her task. I loved her determination, her edge and how she was caring as well. Raven was an ideal character to me. She was feminine, but independent.
 

Isn't everything steampunk just so awesome?
I liked the steampunk in this. It was used well. At the beginning some steampunk-ish words were thrown my way which I obviously didn’t recognise because I haven’t tried books like this before. I got confused by the wording because there aren’t really any explanations, but soon enough you understand. It just took a little time, and a few pages.

I also really loved Grant’s character. Grant and Colton were the perfect gentlemen throughout this when they were being themselves. I know lots of readers fall for the bad boys or whatever, but I would have a gentleman instead any day…

The plot here was decent. There were enough twists to keep me eagerly reading. I liked how the alliances and who and was and wasn’t an enemy shifted at times. It always made me curious who Raven could trust and who she couldn’t.

The ending to the book was good, but I wanted a bit more closure! Especially on the romance part *pouts* But alas, there is going to be a book two! I look forward to reading that and seeing the story from Darius’s point of view in the future.

Olivia’s Question: Do you like the steampunk genre?

Olivia-Savannah x

40 comments:

  1. OH, the bird in the cover looks awesome! I'm almost don't care about the model LOL I do love steampunk genre even though I haven't read a lot from that genre. But I do like the atmosphere it sets. Great review Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the kind of setting steampunk sets is one I think I will love in other books as well.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any books in the steampunk genre but I've been wanting to so I might just start with this one! Great review :)

    Most recent post: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-taylor-swift-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closest I've come to steampunk is some Vampire: The Masquerade RP a decade or two ago. Not that I don't like it, I just have not come into contact with it. But this is the year, and this might just be the book for me! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a vampire book with steampunk, but that seems like an interesting combination ;) I hope you manage to find a good one for this year.

      Delete
  4. Hi Olivia - I read my first steampunk novel not too long ago. I think it's good to branch out, but I'm not sure it's really the genre for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to see what you do and do not like. It's a shame it wasn't for you. :/

      Delete
  5. Ooh, this sounds really good! I haven't read much on reapers either, but I'm pretty sure that is a unique way to portray them. I'll definitely be adding this to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to try something new! I hope you like it when you get round to it :)

      Delete
  6. Interesting cover. I can't remember the last time I read a good steampunk novel. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it is hard to find worthy ones! Thanks for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  7. Ooh, reapers and steampunk? This sounds like an awesome read! Steampunk is such an interesting genre and this book looks like one I would like. Raven sounds like a great heroine. :) Great review, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really cool combination! Raven was a heroine I like because she just enough of all her character traits.

      Delete
  8. it's been such a long time since i've read a steampunk, and it's because i tend to find them dry (the one's i've read, that is). reapers are a good way to get my attention, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a shame for that. I think you need to have a good plotline as well, and not just focus on the fact that the story is set in a steampunk kind of theme, for the book to be good.

      Delete
  9. Olivia,
    Never heard of this genre before. Sounds like it is way over my head. I'm going to let you handle this genre. I don't like movies or books with a lot murder. But your review gave me a good feel for what this type of book is about, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a bit much to enter it, at first! Thanks for stopping by, Mary, even if this book doesn't seem like your type.

      Delete
  10. I have been wanting to read a steampunk book, but haven't read one yet. So glad to hear you enjoyed your first one! This sounds like a great book and I have marked it down to read. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will enjoy your first one as much as I have! It's so nice to try a different kind of read :3

      Delete
  11. This looks like a really fun read! I love that cover, and the concept is interesting. I've read a few steampunk books before, and they're fun, though not 100% my favorite. Still, good for mixing things up! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a cool genre as well, although I wouldn't mark it as a favourite either. This was a fun read!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like an interesting read. I actually haven't read a steampunk novel yet. I have many on my list, but they're just not at the top of my tbr pile. I think I'll push this one up my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will enjoy them whenever you get round to trying them!

      Delete
  13. I love Steampunk and this sounds good, maybe you will get answers in the next book of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I know the author was expecting this to be a standalone but then decided against it.

      Delete
  14. I've haven't read anything with reapers before. This sounds intriguing. I like the concept of killing one and saving another to maintain the balance.
    The cover art looks really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I! The idea of reapers is an original one. Thanks for commenting, Manisha.

      Delete
  15. You have no idea how happy I'm that you got to read a steampunk novel! They are all kinds of awesome as you can see. Though I have read a lot of steampunk stories, this one is new to me, but I must say that I'm really intrigued. So happy you liked it. Great review, Olivia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this genre is so cool and I will be reading more of it!

      Delete
  16. I love the cover but steampunk isn't really my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, but at least you know what you do and don't like!

      Delete
  17. Hmm, it sounds interesting but not my type of book.
    But I do like steampunk!

    RECOMMENDATION TIME:
    The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (I have a review of this one on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh both of those are on my TBR now! I think they sound awesome and very steampunkish ^^

      Delete
  18. Yes! I love steampunk :) Read Ticker or the Parasol Protectorate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a review copy of Ticker but haven't heard of that last one. I will check it out!

      Delete
  19. Great review. I am so pleased this is one that has a slow build romance, I get so fed up of insta love and pointless love triangles. I haven't tried many steampunk novels, so this should be quite fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am glad that it was like that as well! Steampunk was a new genre to me, and I am glad I could explore it.

      Delete
  20. No insta love? No love triangles?! Steampunk? Amazing cover? SIGN ME UP! Ahhh. I need this book in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what I loved so much about this was that it had none of the clichés in it! Read it!

      Delete