Thursday, 1 January 2015

Come Back to Texas (Review)


Hi there!


Happy New Year! What better way to kick off 2015 than with a review? I hope this coming year is a good year for you, and one you can enjoy. I had a pretty good year last year and I am hoping to do the best in everything I do this year round. But most of all I want to be happy. Have you got any resolutions?

Title: Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar #1)
Author:  
K.K. Hendin
Publisher:  Self-published
Published Date:  17th August 2014


Rating: 4.5 Stars

*Thank you to the Xpresso Book Tours for the review copy*

Synopsis:  Everyone thought we’d be the ones who made it through high school. The ones who’d get married and stay married forever. The example of how young love can work.

We thought so, too.

Too bad life had other plans.

It’s been three years since Hayley and Nate broke each other’s hearts. Three years, and a lot has changed. Hayley’s a freshman in Bushwick University, and the only things keeping her sane are stress baking, and her a cappella group, Twelve Beats in a Bar.

Nate’s a Marine, stationed in Afghanistan. The only thing that’s keeping him sane is the last picture he has of him and Hayley, and the hope that maybe when the hell of deployment is over, he can find her again and apologize.

One explosion will change everything.

When a bomb kills all of Nate’s unit, leaving him missing a leg and eyesight in one eye, he’s sent back home to Texas. Texas, where he loved Hayley more than he could possibly imagine ever loving anyone else.

With seemingly endless amounts of free time and needing something to distract himself, Nate starts making YouTube videos, imploring Hayley to come back to him, and come back to Texas.

Hayley’s life is wrapped around the Beats, making sure she doesn’t flunk out of biology class, and babysitting Ohio’s smallest monster, Brandon. She doesn't want to admit it, but she misses Nate more than anything.

It’s too bad she doesn’t know just how much he misses her, too…

Review: I think whether or not you like this book really depends on what kind of reader you are. Being a character driven reader, I know this is something I would love. But some other readers may find it draggy. 


A capella group meetings.
I loved Hayley as the main character. I loved her voice and how it really shone through Hendin’s writing. I thought her character was awesome and even though she was having a hard time getting over Nate, she was trying her best. It wasn’t easy being the poor girl who finally had a chance to break out of the ways of her family – because there was a lot of pressure on her to do well. And even though she wanted to do well, it was hard for her to focus on much when her heart was still breaking.

Then we have Twelve Beats in a Bar, and they are an a Capella group who sing together and found each other at the university. Even though they weren’t the main focus of the novel I liked all the secondary characters here. They were each unique and it was easy to see this. I think that future books will be told from one of the other girl’s perspective and I would very much like that idea. Oh, and one of the girls is called Olivia so this book obviously gets bonus points for that.

When it comes to plot it was mostly about the breakup. We got to see flashbacks from the start of their relationship until the end, and the reasons which led to the break up gradually become clearer. And we’re also seeing the present tense where Hayley and Nate are separate. And I will tell you, in the beginning of the book Hendin uses the chapters to build suspense. You will see what I mean if you read it ;) There isn’t much of a plot apart from the love story, so if you don’t like no plot twists or stories that drag a little, this might not be for you.

Nate was a guy I liked. In the first few chapters we see him he swears far too much, and that put me off a little. But he grew on me, I guess ^^ The themes in this book are about death, war and love. I thought Hendin did a great job with the theme of death most of all. Seeing as I myself have lost someone close to me I could easily relate.

I am looking forward to the novella which tells Nate’s war story in more depth!
 
Click here for international and ongoing GIVEAWAY!

Olivia’s Question: Have you ever gone through a difficult break up?

Olivia-Savannah x

32 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Olivia! I can't say I've been through a difficult break up, nope but I know some people who had and it wasn't pretty to witness. I love me some good character driven story but I'm not really sure if this book is for me but as always, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelia! I hope you have a good new year as well. Yeah, they don't sound fun at all :(

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Olivia! I wish you all the best of 2015. :)

    This year, I promised to read more Indie books, and actually have started a list of books that I'll come across the blogosphere that I'd like to try.

    This book is the first on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea! I should definitely read a bit more indie as well. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  3. I do like character driven novels, so I think I will have to check this one out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
    Enter my blog birthday giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to win this book, thanks for this awesome giveaway and for your generosity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nate sounds like a guy I could like as well... and this cover is nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was one thing I loved about this book first! Nate was a sweet guy.

      Delete
  6. I like the cover a lot! The story sounds good too! I do like character driven stories. Thanks for sharing! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, then this book is one I think you will enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Hi Olivia - Thanks for your review. As always, you do a wonderful job with explaining what we may and may not like about the book. A to your Q: I actually did go through a difficult breakup that I still regret to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. And I am really sorry to hear that :( I hope in time it can be healed.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the review. I loved how you explained it all. Wishing you all the best for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Looks like you are starting the new year off right with a good review. May you have a blessed 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I hope you have a great year as well ^.^

      Delete
  10. Just read this book not that long ago! My review is coming up soon its really cool thought to see someone else's thought on it though before it write it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice! I will be keeping an eye open on your blog as well to see what you think of it ;)

      Delete
  11. The cover is so pretty!!!!!! *sigh* talking about break ups: nup. Forever alone. Love the review, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover so much <3 Maybe not alone for too much longer ;)

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you liked this one! It's actually the next ebook I'm reading. :) I love character driven novels, especially ones with great themes, so I think I'll enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I look forward to seeing your review of it! It sounds like something you might enjoy.

      Delete
  13. Did you change your blog layout?? Or it can be that I didn't visit it in a while. O.O Oh yeah...I am not a character driven reader. I mean, I want developped, relatable and enjoyable characters but the world-building is a tiny bit more important to me :) Fantastic review! Happy New Year!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do want to change my blog layout again xD Thanks for stopping by! And maybe this book isn't too much for you then. Have a happy new year as well :D

      Delete
  14. Happy new year Olivia hope it's a great year for you! Another great review from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely review Olivia..this sounds good. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy new year to you as well ^^

      Delete