Saturday, 10 January 2015

Reader Problems Tag!

Hello :3

A big thanks Melissa @ In A Bookish World for tagging me, and Noelia @ A Day in Bookland. This is the 'Readers problems' tag. You answer the questions and then tag three people afterwards! Here goes :D

You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?

I am someone who is pretty methodical when it comes to my TBR shelf, which is huge. I usually go for the oldest book on there! I am typically in the mood for anything, and well, old things first!

You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?

Whether I quit or not really depends on how bad it is. If it’s simply terrible and I can see it isn’t for me in any way I will ditch it. But if I think it still has potential (like Beautiful Creatures) or so I will stick with it for a while longer. Especially when it is a book for review.

The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

I always try to catch up! I don’t really have a goodreads challenge, but more so a Shelfari one. But I am someone who doesn’t like to lose, so you can imagine the speed reading that happens in the Christmas holiday.

The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?

Pfft I don’t mind xD I will admit though, my Percy Jackson collection on my shelf with the same covers do look beautiful though…

Everyone and their mothers love a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?


The best thing about the blog world is that there is usually at least one or two or many more people who wouldn’t have liked something everyone loved. I also spend a lot of time on Young Writers Society, and usually there is a person there who agrees with me as well. Thank goodness for the online community.

You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?

I actually don’t usually cry with books, and I have never been in this situation… I guess I would probably just cry. I have no problem with crying in public because I cry when I laugh, so maybe I could pass it off as a funny book? Or maybe just hit the bathroom. I don’t know xD

A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?!?!?

This depends. I am gearing up for reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, so I have reread all three of the first books. But in most cases I look for reviews or summaries on Wikipedia or something :P I don’t usually forget though, which makes me happy!

You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?

I'm pretty honest. Only a few people get to borrow my books because they are mine… and I love them. So I will say no, you can’t lend it. If they ask why then… I’ll mumble, be really awkward and probably not give them a reason in the end.

Reading ADD. You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

I can’t believe this, but I have never been in a reading slump before! I am sure this will happen with a year or two more of blogging under my belt. What I would do would be rereading my favourites. Gone, Noughts and Crosses and Twilight would probably do the trick!

There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?

Uh, I would end up buying them ALL. I have a serious book buying problem. I have so many print books to read, ugh.

After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

Longer than they should. I have books from last Christmas I have yet to read… it’s just because there are so many! I am getting to them all eventually, don’t worry!
 

I tag: Jennie @ A Bookworm Called Jennie

Olivia’s Question: What’s the biggest reader problem you face?

Olivia-Savannah x

42 comments:

  1. I have a book buying problem too. :D I just really like getting new books for my shelf! There's a lot on my shelf that have I haven't gotten to reading either . . . I oftentimes tell myself, "well, if my book budget suddenly gets really small, these will last me for awhile!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's a good point as well. If all bookstores suddenly closed down, it would take a while before I was bored, and then there would be the rereads ^^

      Delete
  2. I have hit a lot of this problems as well. I decide to DFN not very often. I only stop a book when I literally hate it so much it would pain me to continue it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I try my best but for some books I really can't help it.

      Delete
  3. I so do have a book buying problem as well, but I've kinda learnt to buy now only the books I'm interested in instead of just lose control, which has happened before hahaha
    And I also cry when I laugh, it's a bit embarrasing but I just can't help it... I don't think I could pretend I'm laughing when I'm crying though.... my sobs would give me away hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty good thing to get a hang of. I don't think I can ever have too many books :P Yeah, but sometimes I like that I laugh when I cry ^^

      Delete
  4. Olivia’s Question: What’s the biggest reader problem you face? A to your Q: I constantly over commit myself so I'm struggling to finish books when I know I have other things I need to do. There's just too many good books out there to say no to any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I over commit as well, which makes it hard to read them all. Too many books and not enough time :/

      Delete
  5. I have sooo many of these bookish problems, especially when covers do not match, WHAT THE HECK. Like no. Please stop. What to read next is always a major dilemma, so many books to choose from :D Thanks for the tag!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD Glad you could relate! I am not too picky about covers, but I do love it when they all match :P

      Delete
  6. What a fun post! I barely ever give up on a book either, but if it is really terrible I do stop reading when I get to the halfway point. I wish I was as systematic with my TBR list. But, I usually go look at it and see what jumps out at me that day. I have lots of books on my shelves to read!

    Awesome that you have never been in a reading slump! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is good to read what you feel like! I feel like I might end up neglecting the same books though, if I did it that way! Yes, you should never force yourself to read a book if it is terrible.

      Delete
  7. I usually pick whatever book I feel like reading next, which tends to be the newest ones I'm excited for so I've had some on my shelves for ages! Great answers, and lucky you never being in a reading slump ;)

    Most recent post: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/01/review-strange-angels-strange-angels-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, if I did that I think I would have a lot of old ones on my shelf as well!

      Delete
  8. I feel so bad when I don't finish a book, but sometimes I just don't like it. Most of the times I torture myself to finish it, but there were times when I just gave up.

    I read "The Fault in Our Stars" on a 11 hours train journey (at night) and while I do think it's not as good as everyone seems to make it to be, I just couldn't not cry while reading a book about teenagers dying. And I did. It was a bit awkward, but most of the people were sleeping.

    Andreea Catsfika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I read TFiOS and like you, didn't love it but it was still a decent read.

      Delete
  9. Love the tag! Great choices, Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, some of my books have been standing in my bookcase for far too long! I think 'The Hobbit' had actually been there for about eight years before I got to reading it. That's a record though. Normally they don't stand for so long.

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD Eight years is a long time! I don't think any of mine have been there that long yet... even on my Kindle! I didn't really like the hobbit though. :/

      Delete
  11. Great post! This seems like a really interesting tag. :)

    I could never go through my TBR list by reading the oldest books first. Kudos to you for being able to do that! I am definitely a mood reader so that wouldn't work for me. :P

    I've never heard of Shelfari- but it seems to be a mix between Delicious Library and Goodreads!

    I have so many print books on my shelves that I need to read as well. I honestly don't even know how long I have had them on my TBR shelves... It's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pretty much is although I have never heard of Delicious Library! Reading according to mood is good as well. When a new release is out and I have been waiting for it for ageeeees I am likely to read it first ^^

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the tag Olivia! Here's the link to my post if you wanted to check it out: http://jennieelouisee.blogspot.com/2015/01/reader-problems-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fun one! Thanks for tagging me :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  14. "If they ask why then… I’ll mumble, be really awkward and probably not give them a reason in the end."

    HA! This would be me as well for sure. I'm possessive of my books too. I gave an all time favorite to my mom once (and come on, it's my mom, surely she'll be good to it?) and she left it on the beach when she went on vacation. She didn't realize she was supposed to give it back when she was done. *headdesk*

    Loved these questions & your answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D: Oh no, how terrible! I guess you have a good reason to be protective then.

      Delete
  15. Oh so funny, yes def reader probs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always awkward when people want to borrow a book from you but you don't want them to! I have one friend who is amazing but unfortunately she doesn't treat books she borrows very well. It is difficult to tell her I don't want to lend her my books because she gave a couple back in pretty bad shape...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD That does sound like a tough situation to be in, and maybe it is best just to tell her outright! Then she might take a bit more care...

      Delete
  17. Ooooooh! LOVE THIS TAG! I'm totally going to do it, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I love a good tag! :)

    I am proud of your TBR skills. I am not methodical and they just pile up and pile up. In this week alone I have purchased 5 books and received 3 for review.... and I already own about 400 that I haven't read just in physical books. Then over 100 eARCs and I just ignore my ebooks because then it would get REALLY embarrassing! >.< I AM AWFUL!

    I feel the same about quitting, it depends just how awful it is. I haven't got behind on my challenge before, which is good so I am confident this year. WE SHALL SEE! Rereading favourites helps me when I am in a slump too. I know I'm going to love it, so it takes the pressure off when reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to find this and like it so much! I am looking forward to seeing some of your answers as well :D

      I don't know why, but I am pretty methodical when it comes to everything. And at least you have a long while ahead of you before you will run out of anything to read! Take your time and keep enjoying the reading.

      Hope you can keep up with the challenge!

      Delete
  18. I'm totally with you there with having way too many print books on my shelf! I used to be like you and only read older books so I could save the new ones for last, but I need to review the latest reads lol. I totally know what you mean about lending people books, I've lent them to people and regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do read the latest reads for my blog though, but I mostly read those on my kindle, allowing me to be methodical with print. But then again, some books linger on my kindle for too long as well ><

      Delete
  19. It's interesting to read about your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^.^ I do like to tell readers everything!

      Delete
  20. Oh my, I have so many books to read! it's kind of ridiculous because that doesn't stop me from buying or accepting more, though. But, hey, you can never have to many books! Right? I mean it's not like I'm on a hoarders show or anything... yet. Anyway, I definitely get emotional when I'm reading. I laugh, smile, smirk, raise a single eyebrow, cringe, and cry all the time, and it can be kind of embarrassing sometimes, but if a person doesn't understand them they are obvious not a reader and are totally missing out!
    Lakin @ "Wonderous Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know xD I think it might be an addiction. Oh well, agreed, there is no such thing as too many books!

      Delete
  21. I really get you. I get so mad when they change the covers in the middle of the series. It has happened to me and I learned my lesson. Nowadays, I'm waiting for the third book to be published in order to buy the series :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, waiting is good but also takes a lot of patience! Especially when it is a series you love as well :)

      Delete