Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Insanity (Review)

Hi there!

WAIT, my lovely readers! Before you continue, go and check out my guest post over @ Book Stop Corner, a blog hosted by the lovely Aditi! Learn about my bookshelf sorting and my rubbish attempts at selfies!

Title: Insanity (Insanity #1)

Author: Cameron Jace
Publisher: Self-published
Published Date: 19th December 2013

Rating: 2 stars

*Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the review copy*

Synopsis:  After accidentally killing everyone in her class, Alice Wonder is now a patient in the Radcliffe Lunatic Asylum. No one doubts her insanity. Only a hookah-smoking professor believes otherwise; that he can prove her sanity by decoding Lewis Carroll’s paintings, photographs, and find Wonderland’s real whereabouts. Professor Caterpillar persuades the asylum that Alice can save lives and catch the wonderland monsters now reincarnated in modern day criminals. In order to do so, Alice leads a double life: an Oxford university student by day, a mad girl in an asylum by night. The line between sanity and insanity thins when she meets Jack Diamond, an arrogant college student who believes that nonsense is an actual science.
 

Review: I will admit, I saw this book popping up on a couple of blog feeds, loved the cover and pounced on the chance to read this. Did I read the synopsis beforehand? Nope. Did I read reviews for this book? Nope. I kind of dived in head first. And the result was not too pretty, but not completely bad either.

After reading this book, there is only one word to sum up how I feel: confused. I felt like all these things were happening at once and not completely explained enough to make sense, but were explained well enough for the story to continue progressing. We never really got to dig deep into the characters so I felt no relation to them, and the plot was jumpy, going from one place to the next. I felt like everything needed to slow down and have some thorough explanations for me to understand everything that was going on.

That being said, I did like the idea behind this novel. Set in the modern day where the Wonderland monsters and creatures are a reality are actually existent. There are some that are good and bad, and some that will need a bit of determining. I liked that. I just felt like at times the plot stretched a bit too far on the disbelief level and didn’t explain how certain things were possible.

At times this book was a bit repetitive. There was an ongoing theme of insanity and craziness – what it means to be crazy and how can we know when we are crazy or not? I felt like the theme was repeated a little bit too much. It started to grate on my nerves.

There were a few too many conveniences in certain sections of the story that bothered me a bit, because it seemed like the challenges they faced weren’t difficult enough. And I felt like Pillar (Alice’s partner in crime) kind of knew everything already and was feeding it to Alice. Which made me wonder why he even let her come along for the ride when he could do everything himself already?

There is a bit of romance in here. It’s kind of randomly thrown in (like the plot points) and makes me confused (like the plot points). It wasn’t really necessary and was maybe put in just for the sake of having it there? It didn’t add to the story and was sort of insta-love-ish, which bothered me.

I don’t really have any intention of reading the sequel that was released last November.

This review sounds so negative! In all honesty, it wasn’t that bad! I think I would’ve liked it more if I wasn’t expecting a YA novel but perhaps one aimed more so for the middle grade section. There were parts I liked more than others. Just know it wasn’t all bad ;)

Olivia’s Question: What’s one pet peeve of yours that drives you insane when other people do it?

Olivia-Savannah x

38 comments:

  1. Like you said repetitive plot is one such pet peeve which I hate when included in a good book, it mars the charm of such a book, as usual nice review and the book cover is pretty and attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really like the cover although the plot wasn't as promising! Repeating is annoying >.>

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia - Great review. Even the original Alice in Wonderland was kind of 'out there'. My pet peeve is some other drivers -- you know, the kind that don't seem to know how to 'peddle a little faster'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! I have read some stories of the original but into to read it all again soon! Hehe, I think that would be a pet peeve my father shares as well!

      Delete
  3. Repetitiveness in books is very annoying. I don't get why an author will use the same formula over and over again in the same books; the readers will eventually notice! I've read some authors who repeat certain aspects of plots they've already used with different books and although I still find it annoying, at least is not in the same story hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean! Repeating gets boring and it is pointless. I can understand why some authors might do it if that particular book sold well or something, but I do like originality more.

      Delete
  4. Hm. I'm not sure this is the book for me Olivia! The repetitiveness, confusing plot points, and the fact that it felt more MG than YA would likely frustrate me, but I so enjoyed reading your thoughts! To answer your pet peeve question: my biggest one is being on time. It drives me crazy when people are late, particularly in a business situation. I used to deal with that all the time in my former job. Grrr :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can understand why you wouldn't like it too! Oh no, I am one of those people are usually late >.> I think that might be an aspect of culture though. I hope I can work on being more on time!

      Delete
  5. I do love the cover and the premise, although your review makes me think I wouldn't like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it does seem promising! Oh well :P

      Delete
  6. The concept does sound ingenious. It's too bad the story telling is lacking, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! But I was suggested a book with a similar concept called The Collector's Society and I will try that one too!

      Delete
  7. The cover is so beautiful, but it doesn't seem like something I would like. Repetitiveness bothers me a lot, and I don't really like that it feels more MG. Your review was amazing though! <3

    My pet peeve is when people arrive late when they'd said they were going to get there earlier - it just bothers me :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it wasn't a bad review! Writing negative ones can be hard. :/ That seems like a worthy pet peeve!

      Delete
  8. Hmm...I'm not really sure if this one would work very well for me. I get tired of repetition quick--sometimes, it's one of the main reasons I DNF a book. Great review.☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover is great and the plot kinda reminds me of American McGee's Alice video game. I never remember my pet-peeves unless I witness it and I think to myself "oh, that's one of my pet-peeves". So I will pick one that probably bothers us all: people being VERY LATE! 5 minutes is okay, but 20? Especially when we go to the movies and the already-late persons are the ones who stop to buy snacks while I'm going crazy in the background because "The film started 5 minutes ago!!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that one before! Okay, twenty minutes late is a bother, especially with movies because I don't know whether I should go in without them or not! I do tend to be a bit late, five to ten minutes in some occasions myself, though, if I am honest ^.^

      Delete
  10. I'm usually a fan of everything Wonderland related but this feels like it's going to disappoint me. Awesome review though!

    Following ;) You can check out my blog and maybe even return the favor here:
    http://ofstacksandcups.blogspot.com/

    Looking forward to reading more of your reviews ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog, Soudha! I think it might as well, but there are plenty of other retellings out there as well!

      Delete
  11. Wow. Sounds like a lot was going on in this book. There were a lot of negatives you listed. Although it is not my kind of book, your review gave potential readers all of the details someone would want to know about a book before reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wanted the readers to know what was in store for them!

      Delete
  12. I haven't heard of this one, but I can see why you were drawn to the cover and wanted to read it! I liked hearing what you had to say about it. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is still gorgeous, no matter what the content is like ^.^

      Delete
  13. I've been so looking forward to this book, cos I love Alice in Wonderland :) and awwww it's okay if you have some negative reviews. I think, as long as you're honest, and you don't trash the book, you're fine hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it more than I did! And I think the original Alice in Wonderland is awesome too!

      Delete
  14. OH noooo, yikes .. I've been looking forward to this book though, it's a shame it didn't work out for you. Not too sure if I like the idea of the random romance, thank you for the honest review! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like it more than I did, although I do think we have a similar taste when it comes to books.

      Delete
  15. Hmm... I can't make up my mind on whether to add this to my TBR or not. The synopsis first intrigued me but if it's not pulled off right then I might go ahead and give this a miss. Great review :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/book-haul-extravaganza.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a few mixed reviews on this one, you either seem to love it or dislike it! I hope deciding eases up on you.

      Delete
  16. I have totally done this, accepted or bought a book by the cover alone. I did hear folks say this might have been better placed as an MG book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it far too much xD Yeah, it was a bit young in the writing style.

      Delete
  17. Great review. I've been drawn to this book and almost read it before just because of the cover, but I'm glad I didn't in the end. It just seems like a book I really wouldn't enjoy, I'm not really a fan of books that are overly repetitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely the cover that hooked me in! The repetitiveness was a huge down-sider to the read.

      Delete
  18. I'm not much for MG or even a YA that seems MG, so I'll skip this one. Which is a shame because I love all things Alice in Wonderland!
    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice in Wonderland is usually a big hit with me too! So it was a shame this one let me down :(

      Delete
  19. This is on my tbr list, I just haven't had the chance to read it yet. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it more than I did when you do get around to trying it!

      Delete