Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Treadmill (Review)

Hi there!

STOP! Wait a minute! You want to go check out my guest post over here at Bookshelf Reflections. I know you do...

Title: Treadmill

Author:  Warren Adler
Publisher:  Stonehouse Productions
Published Date:  26th September 2014
Rating: 1 Star

*Thank you to the publisher for the review copy*

Synopsis: Jack Cooper is an unhappy man, mind, body, and spirit. In the blink of an eye he has lost his longstanding job to the economy, his mother to illness, and his wife to her secret lover. Beaten, broken, and crippled by tragedy, he withdraws into total isolation, narrowing his life down to the simplest of routines in order to block out the pain. His day begins with a strenuous workout at the Bethesda Health Club, his personal oasis where his mind and body can be free, and ends in his tiny apartment, where he escapes from reality with his books until he can lose himself in sleep. Nothing more, nothing less. That is, until he meets the enigmatic Mike Parrish. Stolen from the hospital as a newborn and passed around from household to household, Parrish has no official identification. To the government and the world at large, he does not exist. He is an anonymous drifter, but also the first person who breaks through Cooper's emotional confinement. Cooper finds solace in his friendship with Parrish, a man who understands his plight and is sympathetic to his pain. But then Parrish suddenly disappears, leaving Cooper to search for a virtually invisible man. As he looks for clues as intangible as ghosts, and chases leads as fleeting as shadows, his search leads him back to the one place he called his refuge: the Bethesda Health Club. How much can be taken from a man before he has nothing to lose?

Review: I am sorry to say I really hated this book. I have been meaning to read more mysteries, but for some reason I have been picking up the rubbish ones. I am going to keep trying though! I’ll find a hidden gem soon.

This book was supposed to be about a friend who goes missing and then Cooper who tries his best to find out what happened to him, due to his routine being shattered once the man – Parrish – disappears. And I suppose it was about that. But it also somehow included politics, and when the explanation as to how that had a role in it came about, I was left confused. It didn’t make any sense to me, and therefore the mystery was hard to understand.

But putting that aside, the story had more downsides than simply the plot. I felt like the main character, Jack Cooper, was a flat one. We never learned too much about him on a personal level simply because he didn’t hav 
e one. He was a simplistic man plagued by OCD… and that was it. There wasn’t more to know about him and it bothered me.

I also felt like the story was told in a flat and boring way. There were parts that I felt were completely unnecessary and almost served to make more pages. It was slow paced, which added to my felt boredom. I’m surprised I even read all the way through. There were some points (especially the beginning) where there was a big info dump and it was telling and never showing.

Another thing that really bothered me was that Jack believed everything a woman told him simply because he believed he was in love with her. I do understand, but even though there is the term love is blind, I didn’t know it made you naïve and completely trusting immediately either. Ugh.

This is not one I would recommend.

Olivia’s Question: Help me! What’s a good mystery to read?

Olivia-Savannah x

22 comments:

  1. That's really sad :/ Having to sit through a bad book. Even the book cover looks odd XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been bad but this was one I was determined not to DNF for some reason...

      Delete
  2. Yeesh. One thing I can say about mystery books is that, dry storytelling doesn't help its cause. A book has to snag a reader from page one. I like Mean Streak by Sandra Brown. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree with you there. I have heard of that one and I have it on my TBR! I think I am going to enjoy it when I get around to it.

      Delete
  3. Nice review Olivia! :-) Very honest and insightful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you hated it, Olivia. There are some that I just DNF and don't review them because I know it's not going to be an even mediocre review. This one really doesn't look too much like a mystery, though -- just a sad state of affairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always DNF review or review the book because I think if I agreed to it the author at least deserves to see their book out there. Yes, it just was a bit too much political and not enough mystery.

      Delete
  5. I would have never thought this was a mystery based on the cover, seriously. Of course, just by seeing that cover is a no no for me lol
    But even so, I'm sorry you dislike it
    One of the greatest mysteries I've read was Gone Girl and The Millenium trilogy ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover isn't too amazing, but I have been trying to work better at not judging books by their cover. I am on the fence with trying Gone Girl, but I haven't heard of the latter! I will check it out :3

      Delete
  6. Sad to hear that you didn't enjoy the book, I agree with Noelia about the cover, I thought it would be a cheesy romance!!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree, the cover isn't too flattering to the story :/

      Delete
  7. Ouch.. Well, that's a shame. It sucks when books don't work out for you :( This one does sound boring so going to pass on it, thank you for the lovely review x Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my next read will be a better one! And I can understand why you would ^.^

      Delete
  8. Ugh. That sucks! I always download a sample to my Kindle first and try a book out before buying. If it doesn't grab me in those first pages, I'm not reading it! But sometimes you do have to take a chance... It's just better if you're taking a chance on free books than if you pay for one and it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy this one though, thankfully. It was a review copy. But the sample idea is great for when you are actually going to be buying books!

      Delete
  9. Aww. I'm sorry Olivia that you didn't enjoy this one. I understand how it feels to be let down by a book that you couldn't really get into because of issues with plot, character, etc. I hope the next mystery you'll read is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I am looking for the next good one to capture my interest :3

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear you hated this one. This was my first time hearing about it. I have read a lot of Mary Higgins Clark's mysteries over my life. I started reading them when I was in middle school and I always enjoyed them (The Cradle Will Fall, Where are the Children? etc). I have read some of her recent mysteries too. I also liked The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. If I think of any others I will let you know. Good luck finding a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually own those two books, so I will be trying the Dan Brown when I can!

      Delete
  11. I hate characters that are a let down! :( Great review, though. I hope you enjoy your next read!
    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I will as well! I need to now :)

      Delete