Thursday, 7 May 2015

Liars, Inc. (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Liars, Inc.
Author:  Paula Stokes
Publisher:  Harper
Published Date: 24th March 2015
Rating: 4 stars
 
*Thank you to the publisher for the review copy*

Synopsis: A dark and twisted psychological tale that will keep readers guessing, perfect for fans of I Hunt Killers and Gone Girl.

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money. So with the help of his friend Preston and his girlfriend, Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something, and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?
When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn't think twice about it. But then Preston never comes home. And the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead to Preston's body.

Terrifying clues that point to Max as the killer…

Review: Now where do I start with this book? I am not sure if anything I say will really give it the justice it needs. I absolutely loved this one, and I had been looking forward to it since last year when I fell in love with the cover. I can now assure you there is more than just a cover to this book as well.

Liars, Inc. is a business of setting up lies for other people. Need a permission slip signed that your parents refused to? Done. Need someone to call in sick for you? Done. Need to swap test papers? Done. I like how Liars, Inc. sort of started unintentionally, but then as soon as Parvati and Preston hooked onto that accident they made a business out of it. It was also interesting how a lot of these things the students could’ve done themselves if they had tried hard enough… but they chose not to.



But there was more to this book than simply that! The mystery that unfolds is when Max is being pegged as a murderer. He makes some pretty silly decisions when he is accused, and does a lot of suspicious things. I can excuse him for all of that though, because what would you do if you were under that kind of pressure? There is also the factor of not knowing who is lying in this book. It seems that everyone is lying, and it is hard to discern or guess who is or who isn’t. It made me curious about everyone, and that was one of the reasons this was so good. The OH moment in the mystery where all the clues clicked together bawled me over. I would never have guessed it, but then again, it all seemed so obvious once I knew. There was also enough action in here to keep me satisfied too (although nothing too special.)

Max was a good main character. He was someone who had lived rough on the streets and been homeless as a child, but then was put into foster home. After being adopted, he does have trust issues (which is definitely normal after the childhood he has been through). And because of that I got the impression that this book wasn’t solely about lying and what the consequences are – but also about trust and how to heal yourself enough to trust other people.

Parvati and Preston were the other two main characters. Parvati is rich and confident, and she wants to be a CIA officer. And the likes of which might have to be good at lying every now and again. I wasn’t sure if I could trust her as a character or not, and couldn’t make up my mind about her. I did like her, but as Max’s girlfriend I didn’t want her to be playing him. If she is… I’ll leave that to you and your reading experience.

I couldn’t stop reading. The ending made me realise the major theme sin this were love, lies, trust and family. I would highly recommend it to all YA lovers and those who like a mystery from time to time as well.

Olivia’s Question: What’s the worst lie you’ve told?


Olivia-Savannah x

27 comments:

  1. A company who makes up lies for others? That sound so cool! And rather interesting. I might pick it up myself when I feel like reading another thriller! Great review Oliva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty cool idea and I loved it!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Olivia - This looks really good. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like it had some surprises for you. I always love it when that happens. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good when you don't know what is coming next. The best kind of novels always do this for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you loved this one! I adored this one because it kept me guessing and so intrigued and following all the clues and trying to guess the ending, it kept me up turning the pages like mad!
    Great review Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how much loved this in your review and that made me want to try it out myself. :3 I am glad that you adored it as well!

      Delete
  4. I'm dying to read this book!! Hopefully, my library will have it and I can check it out next week. Glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think of it when you are done! Make sure you let me know x

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear this was a good one. I'll have to keep it in mind for a future read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it because it seems like your kind of book :D

      Delete
  6. Everyone seems to be raving about this book! I'm a little wary of Parvit's seemingly erratic decision-making practices, though. Did you find her to be a bit spazztic as everyone claims?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is worth raving about! Parvati does have some weird decision making skills but I do think it is because she wants to believe she is on top of things, and also because she has some secrets of her own.

      Delete
  7. I've been reading mixed reviews about this one but I do love the sound of a good thriller, the title is pretty catchy itself! Your good review of it does have me intrigued though, let's see :) <3 Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems people either find it predictable and therefore some of the magic is gone, or they love it! It really depends on the kind of reader here.

      Delete
  8. This book sounds interesting - might have to check it out at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. Just the idea of a company selling lies is interesting to me :)

      Delete
  9. I have been wanting to read Liars, Inc. ever since I saw the cover! Glad to know that you loved it so much. It sounds like a great story and I can't wait to read it. :) Awesome review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was what did it for me, and the more I heard the more in love I fell. Hope you like it too x

      Delete
  10. Reviews are everywhere for this, but I still think I want to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you do :D

      Delete
  11. I do so love a twisted tale. I have been seeing this around, but this is the first review that I have read. Thank you for your informative review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice little story with a mystery in it. From your reviews I read, I think you would like this one!

      Delete