Saturday, 23 May 2015

Top 10: Reasons Why I Write!

This one is for all my readers who are also writers!

Not all readers are writers, but I am one of them. I was a reader before a writer, but now if I had to choose between one of them, I would probably choose writing. (Or maybe not. I'm unsure about this...) I started writing when I was ten because my grandfather passed away. We had a writing exercise and that was my chosen subject to write about. I did burst into tears after reading it aloud, but I learned that it was a great way to release emotions. I dabbled on and off with writing until I was twelve and found the Young Writers Society and became more series. I started blogging at fourteen and realised it wasn’t just novels and poetry I liked writing, but reviews and everything.

1.      Making Characters
This has to be one of my favourite things about writing. Maybe it’s because I love games like Sims and Animal Crossing, or maybe because I’m a character driven reader. But I strive to make my own characters as realistic as possible, with strong relationships between each other. Filling out character profiles is so fun :D


2.      Beauty in Words
This refers to poetry. It takes a lot of practice to find a perfect combination of words that lead to a beautiful poem. But I just love it when everything falls into place and you have a beautiful outcome.


3.      The Community
Through YWS and blogging I have met a lot of authors. Regardless of whether I love their books/writing or not, they all seem like nice people. Agents and publicists included! I have also managed to talk to some of my favourite authors of all time, like Anne Tibbets and Sharon M. Draper.

4.      Making a Change
Writing can raise awareness about a subject and make a change. After reading Carrier and Walled by Anne Tibbets I donated money to a cause. After reading Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper I changed my perspective on those with disabilities. I, myself am writing a novel about sweatshops and human trafficking because I think it is an important subject and hope to make a change with it.

5.      Release Emotions
I don’t think I need to cover this because of the introduction. But I think it explains why lots of poetry is dark and depressing. Who needs to release happy emotions? We need to release the bad ones!


6.      Handwriting
People say handwriting is a dying art, but if it was up to me it wouldn’t be! I think it is pretty :3 I write all my poetry by hand first (mainly because inspiration strikes amongst real life and not behind a laptop screen) and handwrote my novella before typing it.

7.      Imagination
Your brain needs training as well, and so does my imagination. Writing is the perfect way for me to do this.
 
8.      Experimenting
Again, this is mainly to do with poetry. But I love experimenting with the traditional formats and trying to make a nice poem while sticking to the rules. It’s a huge challenge and really difficult in most cases.

9.      Audience
One day I would like to write and know I have an audience. Kind of like I do for this blog, but then for a novel. The idea of that makes me motivated to keep writing.

10.   Fun!
Writing is super fun for me. As fun as reading, or blogging or eating which is my main reason for doing it of course.

New video! Have you heard of We Were Liars?


Olivia’s Question: Do you like writing?

Olivia-Savannah x

28 comments:

  1. I feel liberated while writing, it's a great antidote to all the stress and everything! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reasons for writing anr wonderful and inspirational. You MUST keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Francene! I very much intend to ^.^

      Delete
  3. Hi, Olivia - I sincerely wish you well with writing about human trafficking. It certainly is a subject in which we need to shine more light. I don't think most people realize how widespread it really is.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. It really is something I feel like a lot of people are sheltered from.

      Delete
  4. I am definitely a reader but I wish I could write. You know, when you read a novel and you're like 'man, I wish I could write like that!' I truly respect authors because thanks to them I have my perfect way of escapism. I love diving into books and losing myself in the prose and the story.
    I hope you get to be a professional writer one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Noelia, you are a true lover of books! I am glad that you can enjoy them so much <3 I hope I can be too.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE making characters. I feel like I have so many in my head, I need to get them out. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best part of writing is creating characters and getting to know them as they unfold through the pages. Seeing them interact and sometimes having them take over your story is a wonderful thing, and most of the time they make me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when a character comes to life like that, and you can tell they could easily become their own person and jump off the pages.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on all your points Olivia. Especially about poetry and the beauty of words. And the community of writers, whether online or face to face. Like you, I love character driven stories. As a reader myself, I read because of the character first. And the plot second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Poetry needs more admiration and I love how it can sound <3 It seems like we are very similar readers!

      Delete
  8. I definitely agree with your points, sometimes through reading and writing it's a release of emotions for me. I also love creating characters & stories, awesome topic! <3 Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creativity can be so much and I am glad so many people share in it. Share in doing it and reading the results as well :)

      Delete
  9. Its been quite a while since I have written but I too loved the community

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would like it, you should always come back to writing. It's so much fun ^^

      Delete
  10. You brought up so many excellent points I love writing and the writing community is awesome. I have met so many wonderful people and everyone is so supportive. Glad you found writing! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know you love what you do and being a part of everything it also involves. :)

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad that you love writing so much, Olivia!! Oh, and I totally agree with you about #4 - I LOVED Tibbets books as well and am so glad that they gave attention to IJM, which is a fantastic ministry!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is something I hope I never stop doing. And when something moves you to a cause it really is brilliant :)

      Delete
  12. Sims and Animal Crossing are the best, and like you, I prefer a character driven story. I think it's amazing because you can create anyone or anything and it's just so fun. I stopped writing when I went away to college but I really miss it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to find someone who likes the same games as me. Maybe you can get back to it after college? I hope so!

      Delete
    2. Simulation games for the win! Thanks! I really hope so too, although then I will have a whole new thing to occupy my time-a job *shudders*

      Delete
    3. Oh, the prospect of job searching is scary but I am sure you will be able to handle it well! :c

      Delete
  13. This is excellent! I used to write quite a lot, but then I stopped for no reason. Maybe I should get back into that. But if I were to choose... I don't think I can give up reading. But I am cheeky because as an artist and illustrator I can put my feelings and stories into drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do try it out I hope you can get back into it smoothly. I don't think I can give up reading either. I might go for a bit of both!

      Delete