Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Destiny (Review)

Heya!

My 200th post, just for you! :3

Title: Destiny (New Avalon #1) 
Author: Andrea Buginsky
Publisher: Self-published
Published Date: 9th September 2013
Rating: 2 Stars

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*
 
Synopsis: Constantly teased and taunted by the popular girls, Elena Baxter desperately wants to fit in. On her sweet sixteenth, she receives two shocking gifts: telekinesis and the surprising truth about her heritage. With high hopes that things will be different now, Elena returns to school to find that nothing has changed. Only this time her hurt feelings and frustration boil into something even she cannot understand.

When her powers explode, chaos ensues and she learns that her new ability is greater than she ever desired. As she learns to control her powers, Elena discovers there’s so much more to her heritage than she ever imagined.

Review: I picked up this book a while ago for review and didn’t get around to reading it until now. It was a very quick read at 88 pages. It didn’t get a two star writing because it was a bad book, because it generally wasn’t. It just didn’t seem to wow me quite enough.

This one is about witches, with powers because they are descendants of the Lady of the Lake, which has something to do with Merlin. I thought that was a pretty cool idea and witches always intrigue me. Elena, the main character doesn’t find out what she is until she is 16. I found that Elena seemed to accept this brand new discovery of her true self too well and easily. It would take me a while before I believed I was a witch.

This book was short, and it was definitely an introduction to the series. I don’t usually mind that, but it did mean a lot of the characters simply spent time talking in this one, and at times it came off as a bit info-dumpy. I think the second book will be better though, because then we can get on with the story right away.

How I felt about this book...
The world building was a bit weak, and especially weak if we are dealing with a paranormal or fantasy kind of book. There was some description but not nearly enough to satisfy my imagination. I think the writing style had a bit of a young feel to it as well, and maybe this is more so an older age MG read or a very young YA one. But I didn’t really like the writing style too much.

What I did like was how all these teenage witches were still dealing with the same problems as any other teenager would have to. These characters were still struggling to keep up with homework and trying to deal with bullies in their school. They are sixteen and realising that with their powers comes responsibility, and I know that other teenagers feel more responsible for their own actions and choices they have to make when they are sixteen as well. So I liked how much other teenagers (myself included!) could probably relate to this.

I still would like to read book two because I want to know how the action and adventure are going to come into play! There’s a promise of some of that in here.

New video! How do you find inspiration for what you write?


Olivia’s Question: Do you have some good witch book recommendations for me?

Olivia-Savannah x

24 comments:

  1. Okay it's a nice and honest review! :-) Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a shame the world building left a lot to be desired, but I do have the second book makes up for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does as well! I have high hopes.

      Delete
  3. Reading the synopsis reminds me of Stephen King's "Carrie." But sorry the world building didn't do much for you. Hope the second book makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Carrie yet but it is on my TBR because I have heard a lot about it! Sounds good to me.

      Delete
  4. Hiya girl! Lovely review! As I read your review I has the slight suspicion this book is totally....well, cliche.. how many books have you seen about witches coming of age and "finding out" they have super powers. The story sounds Intruiging but only 88 pages. :( I hope you like the next one better than this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean. There are many books like this one, but I think the incorporation of it being about Avalon was a bit different than usual. And I don't mind a cliche read from time to time, as long as it is good.

      Delete
  5. The usual tropes..... I think I'll pass on this one, simply because it seems I've read this before. If you had raved about it, I may have considered it. I do hope that you enjoy the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Oh well, this wouldn't be for everyone!

      Delete
  6. Maybe if it was longer, the additional detail could have wow'd you. Just wondering if it was too short and just lacking what it really needed to pop.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think if this was a longer read it might be something I could like more.

      Delete
  7. Great review. This one just doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, so I will steer clear. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame about that :/ And thanks for stopping by Charnell!

      Delete
  8. I would probably feel the same about this book. It reminds of a short book a read a few months back. Same deal, not a bad book, but it wasn't a jaw dropper either.

    I give your review 5 bottles of wine. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Emily <3 It was decent, I just wanted more in order for it to stand out as unique, you know?

      Delete
  9. It feels like it's been a while since I visited your blog, so it's nice to see you're still here ahah. And with a great review no less! I can't decide whether to add this book or not because with a lot to be desired, it's probably not for me. My current reading slump means I need a book to grip me and this might not be it :L

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/review-shadow-study-soulfinders-1-study.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is good to have you back <3 Yes, if you're in a reading slump than this is definitely not for you!

      Delete
  10. Glad there was enough to have you curious about the next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There was just enough there for that to happen.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on 200 posts!!
    About the book .. I don't know. Is 88 pages really a book? Or just a novella?
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! For someone who has been blogging for like a year and a half, that isn't much xD I do think this leans on novella, really.

      Delete
  12. Hey Olivia!! My name is Lee and I run a blog called Lee The Reader!! I have nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award!! Check it out :D Thanks so much! http://leethereader.blogspot.com/2015/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nomination Lee!

      Delete