Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Prince Charming Must Die! (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Prince Charming Must Die! (The Grimm Chronicles #1)
Author: Isabella Fontaine and Ken Brosky
Publisher:  Brew City Press
Published Date: 3rd January 2014
Rating: 3 stars
 
*Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the review copy*

Synopsis: Book 1 of the award-winning Young Adult adventure!

On the eve of her 18th birthday, high school junior Alice Goodenough feels on top of the world. Classes are almost finished. She’s about to start her summer job at the local library, where she’ll be surrounded by all of her favorite books. And she has a wonderful boyfriend.

Then the rabbit shows up. The giant talking rabbit. He has a message:
200 years ago, the Brothers Grimm unleashed their stories upon the world.
Literally.

With the help of a magic pen and paper, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm brought all of their fairy tale characters to life. The world was a more magical place … for a time. Cinderella found her prince. Briar Rose's spell was broken. The dancing princesses spent their nights hidden away in a secret underground city. The old miller's boy found true love.

Then, slowly, the Grimms’ characters began to change for the worse. They became Corrupted. Evil. They didn’t belong in our world, but it was too late for the Brothers Grimm to destroy them.

Only a hero can save the day. Every generation for the past 200 years, a hero has been chosen to fight the Corrupted and rid the world of the Grimms’ fairy tales. To her horror, Alice has been chosen as the next hero. As her 18th birthday nears, she begins to realize life is never going back to normal. School will never be the same.

As for her boyfriend, Edward … well, he might be hiding a terrible secret. 

Review: This was a short and quick read, but there are a lot of books in the series and I have them all! Which means in future I will do a mini review of quite a few of the books in the series. Look out for those ;)

What drew me in about this book was the fact that it was a retelling of the Grimm stories. I always have liked those ones and seeing as I am someone who is a great fan of retellings I knew I would love this. And I did! In fact, I loved it from the letter from the authors where they promised some things that they decided before they started to write the series. One of them was there would never be a love triangle. This made me very happy to get started on this novel.



First of all, the main character, Alice, is a fan of books and libraries. In fact, she is even volunteer working at a library, and I have to say that this earned the book some bonus points. Readers love reading about other readers, in most cases. I loved Alice from the moment we met her. Her voice is just so strong in this book and I feel like we’re her best friend along with her as she goes through all the ups and downs this novel brings. She was nice, supportive, but she wasn’t immediately trusting. She was cautious. And basically, I know she is going to develop well in this series and kick some serious butt.

A message for Alice seeing as she has a lot to do if she is going to be the hero.
There was also the fact that this was an introduction to the series. I got that feeling quite a bit, but I didn’t mind it. We had Br’ar the rabbit here to help Alice set up all she needed to know in order to become the hero she needs to be in the future. There was still action enough in this book to keep us satisfied, but I felt like after this one, that is all going to kick it up a notch and become much more suspenseful (hopefully!) Here I felt like we spent quite a bit of time getting the ground information we would need later on.

This one was fun, but I couldn’t quite give it four stars because it was missing something to give it that extra push. I am sure it will be there in the future books. I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

Olivia’s Question: Which Grimm story is your favourite?

Olivia-Savannah x

32 comments:

  1. Oh sounds sweet and really nice and honest review Olivia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm not a fan of that cover, the title made me smile :D I like the sound of a Grim fairytale retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The copy I have has a different cover but I haven't been able to find it online! I like the other more as well.

      Delete
  3. It sounds so very interesting. Sorry it didn't have the suspense you were looking for; maybe like you said that is to come. My favorite Grimm fairy tale is Rapunzel. Was she in this story?
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does come in the future, and I think it is very likely :) Rapunzel wasn't in this one but she may be in future books! I love Rapunzel. You should try the movie Tangled if you haven't seen it already ^^

      Delete
  4. Very interesting! Must keep this in the back of my mind for when I run out of books :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you ever do get the chance to try it!

      Delete
  5. Oh this sounds great. I love fairy tale retellings! I'm seriously stockpiling them. Now I have a new one to add to my hoard. >.< Great review, I can't wait to get my hands on this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to know what you think when you have read it! I am a bit crazy with retellings as well at the moment, if I am honest :P

      Delete
  6. Adding this to my retelling list to-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to knowing what you think!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read. I haven't read any books on fairy tale retelling. This book sounds like it has some unique twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Short and quick sounds nice about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes it is good to have a quickie read around.

      Delete
  9. Is it bad that I've never read any Grimm stories? Shame. I like this kind of retelling. :) Glad you made me aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many of them either, but have mostly heard 'of' them. This is something I need to correct soon!

      Delete
  10. Yeah, you need that oomph factor in books to be amazing. Still sounds fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you said, without it, it was still pretty fun.

      Delete
  11. What a crazy cover this book has o.O And that title! At first I thought this was gonna be a review on the TV series, Once Upon a Time (I love that show!) :P I do love re-tellings, so I'm gonna have to check this book out. Thanks for entering my giveaway and stopping by One Curvy Blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love Once Upon a Time as well! It was my pleasure :3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy your reviews. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award. I know its a bit of challenge to complete, but I think it does help network blogs and participation is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY (I don't want to stress out anyone). Your nomination and more info can be found on my blog at http://constantlymovingthebookmark.blogspot.ca/2015/06/ive-been-nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination! Not sure if I will do it but I will check out your post ;)

      Delete
  14. I really like the idea of Grimm retellings! My interest is automatically piqued when I come across them. :) I like the sound of Alice. Being a reader is definitely a plus, but I also love it when main characters have a strong voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the idea of retellings had me curious as well! Strong voices are the best ^.^

      Delete
  15. I love the Grimm Fairy Tales. My best friend has this old edition of it and it is gorgeous! This one sounds really good, though I'm not a fan of the cover, lol. Great review, Olivia!

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah I need a beautiful edition of those stories <3 Would love that! The cover is a bit weird, but the content is better :3

      Delete
  16. My favorite has always been The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I loved hearing about this book because I love Grimm Fairy Tales. Sounds like a great series- one I plan to read. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a movie based off of that story as well! I hope you enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  17. This would be a good quick read for the summer, I love the Grimm Fairy Tales as well, and this one seems to be under my alley - adding it to my TBR :) Great review as always.
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! It is one that you are likely to race through because it isn't too long.

      Delete