Thursday, 4 June 2015

Ruination (Review)

Heya!

Title: Ruination 
Author: Amanda Thome
Publisher: Athena Alley Press
Published Date: 30th March 2014
Rating: 3 Stars
 
Synopsis: What if everything came down to a single test? If your life was defined at seventeen, could you handle it? Could you accept your fate leaving the ones you love, or would you risk it all and stay?

One test stands between Vanessa and Central. One chance to make the leap across the walls to a better life. At seventeen, Central considers Vanessa an adult. Her labor role, marriage, and housing divisions will be dictated by her performance on the leap.

Dedication and unfaltering friendship has bonded Vanessa to Garrett as they fight for their chance to leap into Central. But what happens when love overtakes reason? When defiance in the name of love creates an unintentional fracture in their nation.

Without warning Vanessa is at the mercy of the nation that’s supposed to protect her. Exiled and abandoned she must fight but she find’s she’s not alone. With her heart divided she seeks her revenge, but will her stand be enough?

Ruination is the next YA dystopian trilogy that will hook you from the start! If you liked Veronica Roth's Divergent series or Suzanne Collins Hunger Games series then be prepared to get addicted to Ruination.

A fast-paced, action-packed series that will keep you on the edge of your seat and begging for book two! It's the perfect trilogy to read for those looking for the next addicting young adult series. 

Review: I haven’t read a dystopian book in a pretty long time, and that is simply because I got a bit sick and tired of them. I do believe it can be hard to find originality in the series. So when I started this one, I wasn’t too sure what it would be like. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it well enough, but it wasn’t all good points.



Like when I read Dark Secrets by Shea Berkley, this book and I didn’t get off to a good start. It came down to the fact that we are introduced to two main characters – Nessa and Garrett. Garrett is in love with Nessa and Nessa is pretty sure she is in love with him. But she refuses him every time, because she doesn’t know how much time she might be able to have with him. That frustrated me because I didn’t want her to regret doing nothing with him when she had the time, instead of putting it off. So it bothered me quite a lot to see her constantly refusing him with such a petty reason.

This seemed to be Nessa's life motto without her even
knowing it!
And the second thing was something dumb she did. Nessa’s mum died when she was younger, so she hated death. So what does she do? For the sake of a game she gets Garrett to swallow some poison and he has to ‘play’ to find the cure. I mean, how dumb could that be? She starts panicking as he starts to die because of the poison and just wanted to shake her because she had done the dumbest thing someone could do >.>

But steadily this book did get better. I actually realised I missed reading dystopian books and I liked the feel of this one. The book managed to play a few tricks on me (I can’t elaborate without spoilers) but I fell for them and then it made me appreciate the skill of the author.

There is a bit of a love triangle in this one, but at the same time there isn’t. Nessa is never torn between the two guys. She loves one, moves on, and then loves the other. But what happens is she has both in her mind – her first love and her current love, and her emotions are getting twisted between the two. So I am not sure what to call that? Anyway, I am #TeamTy.

The world building in my opinion was pretty weak. I spent the better half of the book not sure how the world worked in general and though there was enough basic understanding for us to know how things functioned, I felt like everything could’ve been explored a lot more. But it was okay.

I also felt like at times this book had a lot of similarities to The Hunger Games and Divergent in a way, and then Matched when they had the banquet. But maybe that is simply dystopians being similar because they are the same genre? I’m not sure.

I enjoyed this one enough to want to read the sequel. Especially as this one ended on a cliffhanger!

Olivia’s Question: Have you ever had to take a break from a particular genre?

Olivia-Savannah x

18 comments:

  1. wow, nicely put review, yeah, I'm actually on a break from the historical fiction/literary fiction genre, right now, I'm completely into YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently read a historical fiction and liked it, but I don't have another in my soon to be read future. However, I am crazy about YA. I hope you enjoy the ones you do read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more forgiving of a dystopian ending in a cliffhanger than a contemporary for some reason, I think it's because the world is so bleak and sad, I can understand the story ending in a cliffhanger. and I'm glad that even though you had understandable issues with this book, you liked it enough to read the second book! I would be pissed off with the heroine doing that too after her experience in the past, like WTH! I love the cover though! Awesome review Olivia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you - I prefer cliffhangers more in dystopians than contemporaries. I just got my copy of the sequel and cannot wait to read it!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had mixed emotions with this one. I read very little dystopian. I will read romance from time to time, but feel a big need for a break from it as they all seem so predictable to me. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did :3 As with this genre they do all blur into one, but I do enjoy reading them a lot as well!

      Delete
  5. This one doesn't scream originality to me. Well, I've read way too many dystopia books with the same premise ( sort of). I don't think that I'll read this one any time soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I can understand why you would skip out on this one then :)

      Delete
  6. This cover is really cool, but it sounds like you had some mixed emotions. I might decide to pick it up sometime, nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I <3 that cover. Let me know if you do xx

      Delete
  7. Glad you enjoyed enough to want to continue even with some issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am still looking forward to when I get around to book two!

      Delete
  8. Dystopian is a genre I can't get into. I tend to stick to.genres and not hop around. I am glad you enjoyed it enough to read the sequel.

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, I do understand that not every kind of book suits everyone!

      Delete
  9. I love dystopia but I do have to take a break from time to time and read something nice and fluffy but I always go back to it, totally love it! Great review!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished my break of it! I can understand what you mean though - if I read too much of the same they blend together.

      Delete
  10. Not sure if this one is my cup of tea, but the cover seems interesting. I love how you share underrated books, I always find new books through your blog. Thank you for the helpful review though <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you do! I try to read some popular ones as well as ones people might have yet to discover ^^

      Delete