Thursday, 11 June 2015

The Book Thief (Review)

Hey there, everyone!

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Published Date: 11th September 2007
Rating: 5 Stars


Synopsis: The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that is now a major motion picture, Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul.

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak, author of I Am the Messenger, has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

Review:  Honestly, when it comes to this book I’m not sure where to start. I had been meaning to read ‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak for a long while; it’d just been sitting on my TBR shelf. I must say I was not disappointed. I have heard a lot of people cried at the ending. I didn’t cry, but my was it sad D:

The story is told from the interesting point of view of Death, as in Death being its own character. I think this was one of the many things that drew me to the book, because it was something new and different. It’s also set in Germany during World War II, and follows the story of a young girl called Liesel Meminger. She is the book thief, who has a small habit of stealing books. And as the blurb summarises itself: When Liesel’s foster family hides a Jewish man in their basement, Liesel’s world is both opened up and closed down.

When it comes to choosing a favourite character I cannot choose whether I liked Liesel more or Rudy. Rudy is her best friend, a boy who likes football and fancies himself a charmer of the ladies. He can be rude, he can be nice and he can be persistent too. Either way, he is an unshakable friend to Liesel. And Liesel herself is also quite the character. She has a young child’s mindset and although she sees things in a mature way and within her own understanding she sees the world in a way no one else does. Who else could describe the clouds as long, like a rope, and that the sun is shining in such a way it is burning a hole in the sky?
My face expression after reading this book.

Ah, that is another thing. If you liked the metaphors of John Green, then you really like some of the ones in this book too. I even liked them more than those of John Green, and there were some ironic ones as well. For example, Death saying ‘It kills me sometimes, how people die.’

But really, I don’t feel this review does it justice. I strongly suggest you go read it yourself. The plot, characters and words itself will capture you until all you can do is read and read.

Olivia’s Question: Do you worry about whether historical fiction books are historically accurate?


Olivia-Savannah x

46 comments:

  1. I really do not know what I am waiting for. This book is sitting on my shelf and has also been on my tbr list for the longest time. Everyone loves it but I still have not read it. I think this month I will actuually get to it.

    Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really read it! I hope you get to the book as soon as possible!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Olivia - Great review. I enjoyed this one tremendously too. Did you see the movie yet? I'd recommend it as well. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the movie and I rather liked it! The characters Liesel and Rudy were my favourite although I think they portrayed everything fairly well. The Max storyline wasn't quite there, but otherwise, very good! Possible review of the movie in the future ;)

      Delete
  3. Great review. This is one of my favorite books ever. I love the way it’s written.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you love this one so much :)

      Delete
  4. I've seen the movie but haven't read it yet. It's been on my TBR forever. Glad you loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was pretty great as well! You should try the book whenever you have the time, it is so beautifully written :3

      Delete
  5. I loved this book. Can't remember if I cried or not, I don't think I did. I thought it was so interesting that Death was the narrator. I remember being surprised months later when I saw it in the Young Adult section. I didn't know it was YA when I read it, which speaks to the quality of the story and the ambition of the prose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think YA can have a pretty deep meaning sometimes as well. Death being the narrator was a very original idea and I loved it!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this yet, and I have NO idea why! The only other book that I've read where " Death " has it's own perspective is A Game Of Love And Death by Martha Brockenbrough. I absolutely loved that aspect, so it makes me even more excited to get my butt over to amazon and add this to my wishlist. I've heard nothing but great things about the Book Thief, so hopefully soon I'll stop playing games and just pick it up lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to read this as soon as possible! It's so cool having death as a perspective, and I love it. It really is just as great as the movie, and beyond that too!

      Delete
  7. Now this sounds different. I enjoy historical fiction but death as a character? I'm going to have to think about this one, although it sounds like it was well written and you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The historical fiction element is done well. Although death is a character you don't actually hear too much from him.

      Delete
    2. For your age you are a very accomplished reviewer Olivia. Keep it up!

      Delete
  8. I've tried, on so many occasions, to read this book. I know I'm missing out until I finally decided to give it up and just watch the film. I like historical fiction with actual significance, but for some reason, the quirks of this book and how it was told just didn't work for me. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every book works for someone. Although I did like all those quirks, I guess some could see it as embellishing the story too much and would prefer it to be more straightforward? I hope you liked the film more though :c

      Delete
  9. I read The Book Thief a few years ago and loved it. I thought the point of view was so interesting and the story was powerful. I haven't seen the movie yet. I do like historical fiction and I like them to be fairly accurate, but a little artistic license is okay (half the time I probably do not notice unless it is a time period I am very familiar with).

    Great review! So glad you enjoyed this one.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you liked it too! You're in for a great time when it comes to the movie. Yes, this was a powerful story. I think accuracy is important because I learn from it then as well, but yes, there should be some leeway for artistic license.

      Delete
  10. I have only heard good things about this one. Happy you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the reasons I felt pulled to pick it up.

      Delete
  11. Great review, this is a wonderful book and so it's movie adaption!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard a lot about The Book Thief and like you the book was on my list for a long long time. I might just have to go to the library and pick it up now. I didn't want to know too much about the book but I had to read your reviews (cause they are awesome) and I had no idea Death is telling the story! I can't wait to read it!!
    Andreea Catsfika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to learn something new! I hope you get to :c

      Delete
  13. I don't do much HF but this is beginning to be such a classic I feel like a slacker ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha don't try anything just because of booklover-pressure! If HF is not your thing, then maybe this won't suit you. But it does have a YA feel to it as well.

      Delete
  14. I have a copy of this in my bookshelf, I bought it a couple of months back but I actually haven't read it yet. It does sound really amazing though & I'm not sure what I'm waiting for. Thank you for the awesome review Olivia, you do have me more hyped to read this story soon
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I am looking forward to knowing what you think once you have gotten to it! :3

      Delete
  15. Completely agreed Olivia, how sweet were Liesel and Rudy as characters? They were incredibly charming. This book is one of my favourites!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely the best! I am glad you love it as much as I did :D

      Delete
  16. I'm still deciding if I should read this, not because I don't think it's interesting but more because I know it will be really, really sad :( I'm a bit of a wuss that way. I can see how much you loved this though and I know this is one of those books that I do have to read one day so I will...especially since I can see how much you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If sad books are not for you maybe you will struggle with this one. I think give yourself some time to prepare before you read it might help.

      Delete
  17. Hey Olivia :)

    Nice review :D The characters looks great but I don't know about this book :0
    By the way, if you are interested, I have nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award :)

    http://hp20508.blogspot.ca/2015/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination! You can't read all of them! The characters in this one are really good though :3

      Delete
  18. I loved this book! I had a hard time writing a review for it though, but you did a good job! What I loved most about this book was probably the fact that it was narated by death. And also, there were so many great side characters! I really liked Hans Hubermann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be pretty hard to review some very good books. Thanks! I think that the side characters were done just as well as the main ones.

      Delete
  19. I've actually read half of The Book Thief, but I didn't finish it (the library wanted it back). I remember enjoying the first half, and I'm so glad you liked it! I may have to pick it back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get the chance to read all of it. Libraries can be tricky like that sometimes :P

      Delete
  20. I am glad that this was such a great read for you. I know that there are hoards of people who really love this story. I haven't read it yet, but will at some point. Great review, Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do seem to love it (me now included) so I wanted to try it in the first place. I hope you enjoy it whenever you get around to trying it :3

      Delete
  21. I absolutely sobbed when I read this book - it was just so emotional. I love historical fiction in general, but this one stood out (and I'm proud that it's by an Australian author too!). Fantastic review Olivia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Markus Zusak was Australian! DD: Whoa.

      Delete
  22. First, great review!!
    I've read the book and watched the movie as well. Maybe because I read the book first, I found myself crying at the end.
    The book had such warmth to it and it always kept surprising me. This book is definitely recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read the book first as well, and it is a really emotional read. Thanks for reading, Sandra. x

      Delete