Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Life Update: Paris Trip and Summer is Over...

Hello there :)

I know, it's difficult. But it's time to come to sharp realisation for me. School starts tomorrow and that means summer is officially over. Goodbye to the lazy days, the endless time for reading and all the fun I had traveling. Time to head back to the world of work, deadlines and well, school everyday. I shall survive... I hope!

But before we head back into the real world of school and work I am going to desperately cling onto those last moments of the summer by sharing some of my Paris pictures with you! I actually read the book Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins right before I left... and that definitely did something right for me. It made me SO excited, and even though we were only gone for six days my family and I managed to cram quite a lot into those six days. 

One of the first few things we did was take a boat trip down the Seine river and took a long walk. All across the Seine there are lovely bridges, some of which are covered with sparkling locks. Supposedly, if you add a lock to the bridge with a couple's name on it that love is going to last forever. I didn't add one of my own, but it has been a dream of mine to go and see them. I loved it there!


The next thing we did was go to the Museum of Rodin. I am someone who dropped the subject art, but before I did that we still studied one of his most famous works for a long time, which was The Thinker. The museum was pretty interesting, and it is impressive how many different sculptures he managed to make. We could also see how he had so many practices before he came to the finished work. His dream was always to have a museum dedicated to his works, but sadly he died before he could see his dream complete, and before he could finish one of the great pieces he was putting together.




Being the booklover that I am, I also really want to go and see Shakespeare and Co! It's a lovely little English bookshop, and the books are literally everywhere. It's such a wonderful atmosphere. Sadly, no pictures were allowed inside, so there is only one with me outside of it. 


This next thing is actually outside of Paris... but it was definitely the completion of my childhood! We went to Disneyland Paris and it was one of the highlights of my trip. It was less of a rollercoaster park like I expected it to be, but more so an experience to be part of the Disney fairytales. I love Disney and as mentioned, the movies were really part of my childhood. It was so nice to be there, and go on all the rides. There is also a parade in the evening which you really shouldn't miss if you are there because you get to see all the characters and floats! Because of my little sister we were right at the front, and it was just a wonderful experience. 




 There was also the Notre Dame. We only spent a little bit of time there. I really did want to go up on the top but the queue was just hours long and well, we decided not to in the end. But it was such a magnificent building, especially on the inside. I was pretty impressed to know that they still hold Sunday services there and that it is still an active place of worship, which I didn't know before. 


We also went to the Louvre museum! We had never been before and well, there is just SO much in there. I do believe the fact that if you wanted to glance at every piece in the museum it would take you nine months to get through everything. The queue was huge but we came before opening time and were one of the first people in there. Being a fan of Greek Mythology due to the Percy Jackson series and having always loved the Disney movie Hercules I loved the section where we were able to see the Greek pots. But there were just so many magnificent sights... from the Mona Lisa to the Venus de Milo and Napoleon's Chambers. If you ever go to Paris, this is a museum which you should not miss!




On the morning that we were leaving we decided to squish in a very last visit to the Arc de Triomphe. We really wanted to go up high, so we could get a photograph of the view! It was great to see all of Paris from the top. The Eiffel Tower is in the background as well. We didn't visit that because we had done so before.  


 I bought a bunch of souvenirs on the trip as well as three books in Shakespeare and Co which I shall save for the book haul this month! But I can definitely say that Paris has quickly become one of my top cities and if you ever have the chance to go, you definitely should!


Oliva's Question: Have you ever been to Paris? Or what is your favourite city?

Olivia-Savannah x

57 comments:

  1. I've never been to Paris, unfortunately, but it is on my list! I cannot pick one favorite, though...there are too many choices! I did enjoy my visits to San Francisco (age 34), Honolulu (17), London (9), and Davos (my mother's hometown, which I have visited twice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love London, but that might be because it is home city. I would love to go to Honolulu though! You have done quite the bit of traveling :)

      Delete
  2. Again I nice post,
    Nice pictures are with this nice post. Now that summer are over then we might be seeing less of you here. That is not good to hear.

    BTW cheers,
    Have a good day ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming back, Ranvir! I am hoping I will still be able to be just as present even with school around. Let's hope so!

      Delete
    2. Yes......
      we always hope for the best.

      Delete
  3. I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO PARIS. It is my dream to go there. *wistful sigh* All the pictures are fabulous and so many epic places! I desperately want to see that bridge with all the locks on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go at some point! It really was an amazing place, and the lock bridges were partly my favourite.

      Delete
  4. I love you for getting a picture of Tigger, he's by far my favourite! :D I have never been much of a fan of France, but I would definitely like to see Paris. I recently found out about Shakespeare and Co and would love to see that! Also, Disney, because of reasons.

    Lovely photos, Olivia! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have been to France a lot because it is so close to where I currently reside. But Paris was very different! I think you would like Shakespeare and Co. I really did enjoy my summer :3

      Delete
  5. Oh I love your pics! They remind me of my hand high school trip! While I love the City of Lights, I've discovered that I'm a sud de France girl. Give me Nice any day!

    And Tay Disneyland Paris, I here they have some cool rides that can't be found stateside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have explored quite a bit to know your place! I hope you like it. I wonder what the Disneyland in America is like as well.

      Delete
  6. Paris <3 You seem to have had an awesome trip Olivia. I love your photos :) I love Disney and Mythology too and these pictures had me daydreaming a bit here. Looking forward to your haul (video?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a video, and maybe a blog post too. It was a really good time and it seems like we have a lot of the same interests ^^

      Delete
  7. Wow, the photos are amazing! I would love to be able to go on the same trip. Thank you for sharing the experience with us all. I would especially love to go to the Louvre, I ADORE museums so much!
    Aentee at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a museum person too and love everything about them <3 I hope you get to go sometime!

      Delete
  8. Awesome pictures, Olivia. Glad you had a great time. Good luck with the school year; I know you will excel! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane <3 I am very much hoping that will be the case.

      Delete
  9. School is starting for me tomorrow too but I haven't accepted that fact yet ahah. Lovely post and beautiful pictures, it looks like you had a lovely time in Paris and I'm glad :) I've never been but it would be lovely to at some point!

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/09/august-wrap-up_1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha I hope we both have a good first day! It was a very nice trip.

      Delete
  10. *wipes away tears* I want to visit Paris so badly. That is one of my go to places, before I leave this world. The first go to place, actually. Rome is second. I'm so glad that you got to experience such great things this Summer. Now, time to hit the books!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope you get to go at least once! I think you would definitely love it. Oh yes, time to get back into the rhythm of school DD:

      Delete
  11. Sounds fantastic!! Glad you enjoyed your trip, I went to Montreal last week and I read re-read Anna and the French Kiss during the ride too haha. Paris sounds wonderful and I'd love to visit!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that book so much <3 I think it's my all time favourite romance! I hope you had a good time in Montreal!

      Delete
  12. You're so lucky you're only a hop and a skip away from many European countries! Jealous! Looks like a ton of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like how close the countries are together here. It's nice!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful pictures, Olivia. I was in Paris back in 1998, but I didn't see as much as you did.

    There is a bridge in Cologne, Germany that is covered with locks. My husband and I put one on. We call it our locks of love.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will be able to go back and see some more at some point. I didn't know about the bridge in Germany!

      Delete
  14. What a great trip! Paris is on my traveling list but I didn't get to it yet. All the art, ah, so much to see. I am glad you had a lovely 6 days with your family before school starts. Can't wait to see what book you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really enjoy it, especially the food and art! There really was a lot of it, and museums everywhere. We couldn't possibly do it all.

      Delete
  15. Your Paris trip sounds amazing. All of the culture and history you were exposed to. I loved the pics of the Rodin museums but I'm partial to art so that is no surprise. get look in your new school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how much you love art, which is why I think you would like Paris. There are tons of art museums at basically every corner.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness!! I'm so jealous of you; Paris is such a gorgeous city and I want to go, especially to visit Notre Dame and Shakespeare & Co. I'm happy you had an awesome time and good luck with school! I start next month and I don't know whether to be happy or not LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha it's impossible to tell until you get there. I hope you get to go to the city. Those were two wonderful things to see <3

      Delete
  17. [ Smiles ] Nice pictures of Paris.

    Hmm. I never considered school to be the "Real World" when I was your age.

    Why?

    Because, back then, my teachers said that school was to prepare us to fit into the "Real World."

    I do hope that your day back out to school is a fabulous one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, that's actually a pretty interesting situation. But I do believe the real world is out there and around us no matter what we choose to be doing with our time or not.

      Delete
  18. Loved seeing your pictures and hearing about your trip to Paris. I went there this summer, so your post brought back wonderful memories. I did many of the same things you did, except we didn't go to the first museum you went to this time. Oh- and I also missed out on that amazing looking bookstore- but I have written it down to visit it the next time I go to Paris (which hopefully will be in the next 10 years). :)

    Thanks for sharing and hope you had a good day back at school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing your blog posts of everywhere you went before we left ourselves, and noted down a few places from them to visit ourselves, which is why we saw so many of the same things. I am glad you had such a wonderful time there too.

      Delete
  19. WOAH, YOU WENT TO PARIS? It's my dream to go there! One day! *sighs*
    I can't believe that summer is over! I mean where have the days gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! Back to school already and everything DD: I have to try and cram more into the summer next year.

      Delete
  20. That looks like so much fun. I had plans to go to London and Paris during the summer between college and my post-BA, but the exchange rates were so terrible that summer that I couldn’t afford it. Hopefully I’ll get to go someday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a shame about those annoying exchange rates! I hope you will get in there at some point.

      Delete
  21. Wow, what an awesome trip!! booo about school though :P Isn't the Louvre amazing?! Also Notre Dam and the beautiful scenery surrounding it. Ahhh Paris is one of my favorite places to visit. Lovely recap!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Louvre was just something else. So much to see - and so much history in one place. I want to go again someday!

      Delete
  22. It's funny that we both went this summer! You did SO MANY FUN THINGS. I feel like I need to go back to do them all haha. I really wanted to go into the Louvre, but sadly there wasn't enough time. I would have also loved to take a boat trip down the Seine! I'm sure it would be beautiful, especially at night with all the lights. Ah, the lock thing. I've seen it in so many cities now that it wasn't that special anymore - they literally do it in every bigger German city now - I walked around my university town the other day and saw they started it there as well! Some bridges really struggle with the added weight as well. My audio guide in Paris said that some of the locks just randomly disappeared there and the city claims they had nothing to do with it, so it remains a mystery. INTRIGUING. :D

    I hope you have a good start for your new school year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have seen some other bloggers recapping their time in Paris as well, which makes for it being quite the hotspot. I hope you get to go again and do all the wonderful things you didn't have time to as well.

      I have heard that about the locks actually - about how they are weighing down bridges and being dangerous. I didn't know many other places did it too though. I think it's a lovely idea, as long as it is managed safely.

      Delete
  23. Sounds like you had an amazing trip..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woah sounds like such an amazing trip! Those pictures are lovely. I really want to go to Paris someday. Summers are always busy for me though, with all these school & art programs I do, but one day. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you always seem to love those art programs! I am sure there will be a time for you to go that's perfect for you in the future.

      Delete
  25. Since I'm French, I'm very happy to learn that you enjoyed Paris. Did you get to taste the food? I don't want to sound pretentious but France has some of the best food, especially when it comes to desserts. I envy you, you're always travelling and going to amazing place!

    Oh school! Good Luck! I know how you feel. It's so nice to just be able to relax and do whatever you want! I'm going back to uni at the end of September but I'm not eager to leave my holydays at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try a bit - but mostly it was things like ice cream and croissants. I need to go back and get into the food because we didn't do too much of that! But your country was lovely.

      Delete
  26. When I went to Paris I also read a book set in Paris right before I left (The Da Vinci Code) and it made my trip so much more interesting. It was a lot of fun going to the Louvre when I had just read about it in the book. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't read the book I would not have remembered so much from my visit to the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does and I think if I travel anywhere again I will do the same thing!

      Delete
  27. Oh wow you got so much done, I love the idea of the locks on the bridge, it is so romantic. I would love to visit Paris it is such a beautiful city and there are so many things to do and see.

    Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so romantic although it does have consequences, as V did say! I hope you can go :)

      Delete
  28. I enjoyed reading your post. I've never been to Paris before but you totally convinced me about visiting the Lourve Museum one day. I didn't know there were so much in there. I didn't know that the Notre Dame is still an active cathedral. I would love to go to Sunday mass one day. It would be interesting to imagine about the people from the olden days were doing and what they thought when they went to Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is one of the museums that you at least need to try once. There is so much more than just the Mona Lisa which it is mostly known for. I was pretty surprised to learn it was still active!

      Delete