Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Noble Conflict (Mini Review) & Lend Your Hand!

Hi there!

Title: Noble Conflict
Author:  Malorie Blackman
Publisher:  DoubleDay Childrens
Published Date:  6th June 2013
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: Years after a violent war destroyed much of the world, Kaspar has grown up in a society based on peace and harmony. But beyond the city walls, a vicious band of rebels are plotting to tear this peace apart. It is up to the Guardians - an elite peacekeeping force - to protect the city, without ever resorting to the brutal methods of their enemy. When Kaspar joins the Guardians, he has a chance encounter with a rebel - a beautiful girl named Rhea. Haunted from that moment on by strange visions and memories - memories that could only belong to Rhea - he realises he hasn't been told the truth about what the rebels really want, and what he's really fighting for.

Review: I have been reading some dystopian fiction again! This time it’s a book called ‘Noble Conflict’ by a favourite author of mine, Malorie Blackman.

My favourite character in this book is probably Mac. Mac is a friend Kaspar makes in the library as he tries to find out more information on the Insurgents. Like me, Mac is quite the bookworm and spends a lot of time online ^.^ Also, although politics and war strategies aren’t something she can grasp easily, she still tries to have a go at it. I like that type of persistence, and how she was always will to help Kaspar with whatever research he wanted to do.

What I didn’t like so much was the writing style. I mean, it’s a good book and written really well, but in comparison to other Malorie Blackman books I didn’t find it much to her usual standard. Because the world this book takes place in works differently than ours, sometimes I feel like I was being fed a lot of information and backstory in one moment, especially when he was researching with Mac. To me, being fed too much information at once gets a bit boring and I tend to start scanning the words instead…

When I realised this was a 'typical' read and not a
Malorie Blackman special. D:
It was also a bit of a typical dystopian. What I did like about the Hunger Games and Divergent was that it put a bit of a different spin on things. But apart from the setting much things were the same, like Matched: a dark secret in the society, a rising rebellion and a big bang ending with multiple betrayals. Many dystopian novels tend to fall under this category.

I’d rate this book a three out of five, because it was an enjoyable read nonetheless. If you like dystopian, you’ll definitely like this! 

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Lend your hand! September 26th is Mesothelioma Awareness Day! I didn't know about this particular disease until I was approached by Heather who is celebrating her tenth anniversary of recovery from the condition. Most people subject to this disease are diagnosed and then predicted only tenth months to live! I wanted to share about this disease because it is important, and I didn't know anything before I was reached out to. Please help spread the awareness yourself!

You can go check out Heather's blog series to learn more about her own journey. Or head over the awareness page!

Facts! 

Approximately 2,000-3,000 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma every year in the United States.

Mesothelioma is more common in men (80%) than it is in women (20%).

For every 12 pleural mesothelioma cases there is 1 peritoneal mesothelioma diagnosis.

Mesothelioma symptoms may not appear for 20-50 years after the initial asbestos exposure.

It is one of the rarest forms of cancer, afflicting approximately one person in every 166,000.
9 out of every 10 diagnoses affects someone over the age of 60.

Mesothelioma diagnoses have increased four times over since the 1980′s
.



Olivia's Question: Are you a strategic thinker?

Olivia-Savannah x

28 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean by getting too much backstory or information at a time. I prefer it in small pieces cause it feels like you are building a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hadn't thought of that analogy before but it suits what world building should be like perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Hmm I really like dystopian, so I might this a try! :) And Mac sounds great haha.
    Btw that cover reminds me so much of Green Day's American Idiot!
    Thanks for sharing this!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If dystopian is your type of thing, then this might be for you! I didn't know that of Green Day but I know what you mean!

      Delete
  3. When I saw that the publisher was DoubleDay Childrens, I figured it was for ... well ... children. But, it doesn't sound like that's that case. Also, I doubt a child would have finished it if they were just being fed with information for a large part of the book.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah,.. it doesn't quite fit into the childrens category for me, unless these were definitely older children...

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, what a bummer! I mean, if Malorie Blackman is one of your favourite authors, thinking has nothing special about it must have been hard. I haven't read anything by Blackman myself but I'm a bit tired of typical dystopian novels and I tend to stay away from them, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She still is one of my favourite authors of all time! But I can understand that not every single one of an author's books are always wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear it was enjoyable even if typical dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's how The Unquiet was for me. Too much info! Ha! Love the Hugh Laurie gif! There are lots of disease awareness months here in the States. I'm not familiar with Mesothelioma, but I have heard of it. Next month is Breast Cancer Awareness and I participate in it. I do the Walk-a-thon at the end of the month here in my city. We raise money for the Alabama Association for the disease. Now, me and my sister are looking for something to participate in for her condition. I think they do that in March, so I look forward to that. Shout out to all of the people who are dealing with Mesothelioma. Here's to a cure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't get enough of House <3

      Yes, there are quite a few of them but this was one I had never heard of before. It's so good that you are a part of the Alabama Association though, and doing your bit for it when you can. <3

      Delete
  7. It's so disappointing when you a book you are looking forward to reading doesn't meet your expectations.Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is always a shame! But I liked it well enough.

      Delete
  8. I've never read similar genre I think. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I really liked Noughts and Crosses, so I'll have to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noughts and Crosses is one of my all time favourite books! DD:

      Delete
  10. Writing style can be a big thing when you're reading something. Especially if you're used to the author writing a different way. But if I like the characters enough, I can often overlook that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, writing style does affect me quite a lot, and I don't think all readers are aware of how much it can change a story! :)

      Delete
  11. I'm not into dystopian fiction or movies, but if the genre is for you it appears from your review it will be a decent read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been dodging in and out of the dystopian genre, not quite finding a spectacular read. But this one was okay!

      Delete
  12. I had watched so many movies that are based on this concept so I would really like to read this novel. Also it was good to hear that your friend recovered from the disease...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of movies out there like this one, and if you liked those you may also like this one!

      Delete
  13. I tried to read Noughts and Crosses a couple years back- my sister adored it and it was really hyped when I came onto the blogsphere- but it wasn't for me, so I'm hesitant about trying the authors other work, especially if this is being reviewed as only mediocre. Her plot lines do sound teriffically interesting, but- at least when I tried- I wasn't able to sink into her writing.
    So I'm sorry this wasn't the best for you. What's your favourite Blackman novel? And nice review! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I am sorry Noughts and Crosses wasn't for you! That series is actually my favourite series by Blackman, not one of the particular novels but them all <3 But she's still favourite! Not all her books have to be wonderful ^^

      Delete
  14. I loved her Noughts and Crosses series and Boys Don't Cry, but haven't enjoyed many others by her. I wanted to try this, but I am still not sure. I'm sad this reads like many other dystopians though, I was hoping for something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the two by her that I really liked as well and wanted to increase my reader range of hers. But it just didn't work out :/

      Delete