Tuesday, 13 October 2015

The Butler (Movie Review)

Hi there people!

The other day I re-watched a movie for the second time, and this time I just had to write a movie review. I wasn’t going to before, when I first saw it. I don’t know why – maybe because I was tired and it was late at night, but this film was just so much more emotional the second time round. The movie in question is The Butler, 2013. It follows the life of Cecil Gaines, who grew up on a cotton farm and had the cruel acts of discrimination acted against him as a child. He runs away from the south in an attempt to create a better future for the family he is going to have. Somehow he manages to become a butler in the White House, and serves multiple presidents as the civil rights movement unfolds around him.


I think this film might mean so much to me because I kept thinking of the people who died for us (people like me) to be here in this house right now, receiving equal wages and walking freely on the streets and being able to feel safe. So many sacrificed their lives, had their families torn apart and suffered for the world to be what it is today. And that really digs deep.

What I admire so much about this movie is that although it runs through all the presidents and other historical events – like the KKK, The Black Panthers, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and the Vietnam war in detail, it also manages to show the culture. It goes through the times where disco comes into style, a bit of Michael Jackson, a bit of afros and dangly hoop earrings. The movie really goes through all the time periods with great costuming, music choice for background effect and… it just really goes all out.

One more amazing thing – this movie is loosely based on the true story of Eugene Allen. He worked at the white house for 34 years during the same time periods. His wife and him were invited to a state dinner, just as Cecil and his were in the movie, and so many other elements were included as well.

At the end of the movie I just felt like I had been on such emotional journey myself. When they announced Obama as president I felt like crying; I really I did. I applaud Oprah Winfrey for her final scene in the movie because it was perfect. The moment when she looked up as she reached for her purse touched me to the heart. They described elderly life just as I imagined it to be.

There is an age of a 16 on this film, but I really recommend it to anyone who wants to watch it. It’s one of those movies that really should be more well known. There are famous actors/actresses in it like Oprah Winfery, David Oyelowo, Alex Pettyfer, Cuba Gooding (Fighting Temptations), Lenny Kravitz (The Hunger Games, Cinna) and Robin Williams, amongst many others. The film was directed by Lee Daniels.


Link: Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: What would be the first thing you would do if you went to the White House?


Olivia-Savannah x

34 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this movie before but it looks pretty interesting, I'm glad you enjoyed it :) great review (and love the photos)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/www-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like them! I also think this is well worth seeing at some point :)

      Delete
  2. I really want to see this movie but I have to be in the right mindset (I tend to bawl my eyes out in anything historical). I LOVE the photos accompanying this post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you might want to be prepared in that case. But I think you will be able to enjoy this one quite a lot. Oh, and thank you <3 I wanted to try and include more photography in my posts.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the movie, but I know it's a pretty important one for the African American history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely agree with you there.

      Delete
  4. One of my favorites too Olivia. Forest Whitaker is an amazing actor, as well as director and producer. This is one emotionally charged movie, and I love watching it. The historical aspects, sad and tragic as they are, were highlighted well throughout the film. Oprah did well as an actress here and I don't think I've liked her acting skills this much since The Women of Brewster Place, and let's not forget The Color Purple. Great movie that I think anyone would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was writing this review I was thinking that this would be a perfect movie for you, but of course you have already seen it and been able to enjoy it :) I would agree with you - he did a brilliant job with this movie. The emotion was so evident and it brought out all the moments we really needed to see.

      I haven't watched those two Oprah movies, so I am going to have to make sure I look into them!

      Delete
  5. I know about this movie as there was a real uproar when it didn't land even one Oscar nomination. I remember watching the trailer and thinking, wow this is meant to be quite a delightful (and sad) journey but I never got the opportunity to watch the film. Maybe I will someday and to be honest, I don't know what would I do if I ever found myself at the White House. I would just try and see every single room and wander around the gardens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that a movie like this would have been able to at least be nominated! And probably even win something. I hope you do get that chance. I would probably be the same - I would especially want to see the gardens though.

      Delete
  6. I remember when this movie came out and how much praise it got. The story does sound amazing and really touching, with a very beautiful message. Sadly, I haven't watched it yet, but I'm always the worst person ever when it comes to watching movies, I'd much sooner pick up a book... Maybe I should read the book first? Haha :P

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is a book of this one? But I know what you mean. I don't watch too many movies or telly shows either... so the ones I do, I hope are as good as this one!

      Delete
  7. There are a few movies that I haven't seen yet but REALLY REALLY want to. This is one of those. Thanks for your review of it. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound so prepared for this :D Can't wait to know what you think once you have seen it!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to say I've never heard of The Butler. It sounds really moving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. [ Smiles ] I would not mind watching that movie.

    Thank you for doing a review on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We study this film in English class last year and I loved it too! There was so emotion to it that I just didn't expect. And you're right, it's one of those powerful movies that subtly teaches the viewers so much, it definitely should be more popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw it was actually for history class but I didn't feel compelled to write a review until I rewatched it at home for my leisure. And you're right, this one needs more attention!

      Delete
  11. Can I PLEASE put a heart stamp all over this review? PLEASE?? I agree with everything you say here girl! <3 I too wanted to cry when they announced Obama as president and the acting in this movie is ON THE POINT, RIGHT?? Now from reading your review, I HAVE to watch this movie now! (I'm writing it down now because I need this movie in my life again!) Also, awesome and creative pics! <3 Mwahhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you can agree with all of this! It's so nice to see that more people appreciate this movie :3 It was so emotional! And the acting was PERFECTION! I hope you enjoy rewatching it ^.^

      Delete
  12. New to me but glad to hear you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first thing I would do at the White House is...use the lady's room! He he. This sounds like a wonderfully heartfelt movie. Thank you for the suggestion, Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha well, it might have been a long trip to get there ;)

      Delete
  14. I haven't seen this one but I would like to. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Butler really was a great movie. Some of the stuff was hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand what you mean. A lot of people went through really hard times then.

      Delete
  16. I... feel like I tried watching The Butler, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t. I have watched the trailer, and having read your review I now want to watch it again! It definitely sounds like an emotional, moving, important story, and I’m glad you could take so much away from it. I’m glad it got made and got so much recognition. That’s so incredibly wonderful.

    Lovely review. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did teach me a lot and reach out to me emotionally. It definitely deserves any recognition it receives.

      Delete