Thursday, 19 November 2015

Cinder (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author:  Marissa Meyer
Publisher:  Puffin
Published Date:  5th January 2012
Rating: 5 stars

Synopsis: A forbidden romance.

A deadly plague.

Earth's fate hinges on one girl . . .

CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.

Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.

This is not the fairytale you remember. But it's one you won't forget.

Review: ASDFGHJKL

THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY.

Not really. I have plenty to say. Well, where to start? Firstly, I was super excited to read this book. I haven’t ever seen anything but four and five star ratings, and then I love a good retelling as well. Steampunk? Yes, please. When it comes to this book, all I wanted to say was yes please!



And it did not disappoint! Cinder was a good retelling of Cinderella with so many twists in it, which kept me happy! The plague was an interesting add to the story. It kind of gave the whole book more of a dystopian feel (steampunk, retelling, dystopia, fantasy… lots of genres melded into this book perfectly.) It was a scary idea and I liked its inclusion!

The beginning of this book will draw you in from the beginning and will not let you go until the last page. The suspense is high in this one.

As for the characters, I have nothing but love. I did feel like there weren’t enough secondary characters. I can think of about six main characters and that is basically it when it comes to people we know personally. But those we do know are lovely. Prince Kai stole my heart. He was a prince, but not spoilt at all. He was angry and impulsive in his wording sometimes, but he was funny and kind and willing to give anyone a chance. Then there was Cinder, the cyborg mechanic. She was having a hard time pondering what it means to be human there as well as living her difficult like. There was no one I wanted to know more about in this novel, and she was a great protagonist who grew with the story. Torin was someone I liked. I loved how much he supported Prince Kai with seemingly no question of trying to steal power or anything. Iko was a cheeky android who I loved. She was basically human! ^^


The funny thing about the plot is that it is quite predictable in one aspect. We were given a hint to something, and I knew what it would be immediately and that wouldn’t be a surprise. I was right, as well. But it wasn’t necessarily about finding out what that revealing was supposed to be, but more so about everything that happened in between. The journey is important in this book, and the journey has plenty of plot twists that I didn’t see coming in there as well. The end revealing isn’t as important, even if it is predictable.

The idea of the Lunars. So cool. Where did Marissa Meyer pull this idea from?

I don’t think I have much else to say. The world building was done reasonably well, but it was more so the types of people you could get than the world which was stressed on importance.

WHERE IS MY BOOK TWO I NEED IT NOW.

Feels got me like...

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Video! My latest video is my book haul for this month!


Olivia’s Question: What is your favourite fairytale or fable?


Olivia-Savannah x

36 comments:

  1. I really need to start this series, I have heard nothing but good things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series!! And, yeah, it's predictable (especially the first book), and the writing is annoying - how the author feels the need to explain every subtle thing the characters do (the readers are smart, we get it!) - and despite all that, I still love this series so much. I can't wait to get Winter and read it. Really looking forward your reviews for the 2nd and 3rd book (I think 3rd book is my favourite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is the most predictable in my opinion, but I didn't mind or notice the writing style issue. But yes, so much love <3 My copy of Winter arrived yesterday and I am SO EXCITED!

      Delete
  3. I saw this quite some time ago, and meant to put it on my TBR. Now I'm going to make sure it gets on my TBR. Great review! ;)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not your usual kind of book, but maybe you will like this one :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I was very skeptical about starting the series due to the hype and my latest detachment with YA but it was great! And I loved Scarlet even more. I couldn't put it down. I'm currently reading Cress and I'm waiting to get Winter in the mail. And my favourite fairytale, or one of my favourites, is the Grimm's version of Snow White :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me too! Hype always makes me doubt but when I got book 1 and 2 for Christmas last year I knew I had to try it out. Scarlet is actually my favourite in the series! Hope you enjoy Cress <3

      Delete
  5. I read/listened to this one on audio and loved it. I then bought it in paperback, along with book 2, which I have yet to read. I really need to catch up so that I can read Winter. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Scarlet soon! It's so goooooood, I promise :3

      Delete
  6. Eep!! I'm so happy you loved this book!! The series just keeps getting better as it progresses so I really hope you end up loving them all! I'm excited to read Winter! Awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading the final book now. So glad you love it too :D

      Delete
  7. CINDER! ♥ I'm reading the last book right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it. I am so glad to hear you loved it and I can't wait to get my hands on it soon. :) Good luck getting book two.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should read it! It's well worth the time.

      Delete
  9. First of all, love the MC Escher-esque gif. And I'm so glad that you loved this first book in the series - you can just power through the whole thing now!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you do ^.^ I will definitely be powering through Winter soon!

      Delete
  10. I also figured out the major plot surprise right from the start but it didn't take too much away from the story because it was the journey that I found most enjoyable :D hopefully that will continue when I (finally!) continue with the series. Nice review as always Olivia!

    Enchanted by YA: enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/review-name-on-your-wrist-by-helen.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... it was pretty easy to figure out but the journey was SO MUCH fun that I honestly didn't care. I hope you can keep going pretty soon ^.^

      Delete
  11. Ahh you finally read this one! I'm so glad, Olivia. :) I can't wait for you to meet Wolf and Thorne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about time I got around to it! Wolf is my favourite character <3

      Delete
  12. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into this one, but great to hear that you loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you couldn't like it, but not every book is for everyone.

      Delete
  13. I remember reading Cinder for the first time, I totally took me by surprise! I totally understand your initial "OIEUEFILDSJFLKDSJF" review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Fangirling mode ACTIVATED!

      Delete
  14. I am so excited to see a review for book one, I have bought all four books to read back to back but most reviews at the moment have been for Winter. This series looks epic and I cannot wait to dive in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read the first three and don't usually have too much time to put up a lot of leisure reviews but in celebration of the finale book coming out I thought this would be a good time to release the review of book one :D

      Delete
  15. YAY!! I'm so glad you liked this one. To be honest, this book kind of weirded me out before I started. I just thought it sounded strange, and I wasn't big on retellings. This book changed everything for me!! You're so lucky you're reading it now since WINTER IS FINALLY HERE :D Lovely review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends either found the concept to be genius and wonderful, or rubbish and horrible. But when you start reading it - you can't help but love it!

      Delete
  16. Olivia, I'm glad you liked Cinder so much! Unfortunately, it just wasn't one of my favorites, but I still want to try the other books in the series. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Scarlet. :-)

    Julia Anne
    Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, such a shame you couldn't like it :( But I guess it must have been enough if you want to try the second one? Some people do prefer Scarlet over Cinder...

      Delete
  17. Okay, so I thougjt you'd read the whole series up to Fairest now? Or have you read them, but are only reviewing them just now? I AM SO CONFUSED. Anyhow, I'm happy this was so stunning for you! I was... unimpressed with this series, really, up until Cress. Cinder and Kai as indivisuals frustrated the heck outta me, and their romance has never won me over. I have grown to adore Iko, though. She's so cute and sweet and basically the best. LOVE HER!
    The plot twist wasn't a surprise for me, either, although from other reviews I've read it doesn't sound like it really was for many people, and some have said it was probably intentional. I suppose, with it being a retelling and all, a lot of people would have guessed.
    Nice review! I hope you enjoy the next books! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't post all my reviews as I read so I have just read them all excepting Winter but have put up my reviews in a funny order! I am glad you pushed through the series till you liked it, especially as a lot would've given up at that point. Iko is wonderful <3 Cinder and Kai's romance is not my favourite but I still quite liked it.

      Delete
  18. I loved this book too! I didn't notice the lack of characters, but it makes sense because she introduces more characters in each book. I read she was inspired to write the Lunars by Sailor Moon! Iko's my favorite too! Lucky, you don't have to wait for Winter!

    I enjoyed talking to you on Instagram, so I found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I didn't think it was too much of a sore point in book one, but seeing as we have such a vast range of characters in Winter, things make sense. I haven't seen Sailor Moon but I have heard so many great things about that movie so I should seriously see it soon.

      Thanks so much for hopping over and checking out my blog as well x I just went and visited yours too - it looks great!

      Delete