Thursday, 12 November 2015

Crafty and Cooking Messes: Alice in Wonderland Artwork

Hello everyone ^.^

Today I really wanted to have prepared a proper cooking and crafty messes post for you all. I really have been neglecting this meme and basically haven't had much time for it at all - which is why I wanted to have prepared something. But life has been hectic and that hasn't happened yet, which is why today I am going to share some Alice in Wonderland inspired drawings with you all instead. I drew these in the summer holiday, which was a while back, but I did always intend to share them with you. Which is why you can see some of my process as to how I get to the final drawings as well! Hope you enjoy.


So first I decided to draw a child version of Alice in a kneeling cute position. This is the sketch I used to get the form of what the body should look like. 


I got a little distracted with this drawing because I had never drawn a character in this position, and it was pretty hard for me! I ended up forgetting to take more photos. But this is the finished result in black and white. 



And now with colour!


The second drawing I made was a young adult kind of Alice. She's a teenager, and she is lying down and surrounded by cards and so on. I wanted to have her in a lying position, but not in an easy one. I also wanted to put some more focus on her dress and outfit. So this is the beginning sketch of her body and position.


Then I focused on making her face and her expression. When it comes to manga drawing (the type of art I am best at) I really like the face and hair the most. I put a lot of time into her eyes and hair. I wanted a big and flourishing hairstyle as well. 


The next thing I did was work on her dress. I did this before I finished her hair and some other parts of her body because I knew it was going to be the front part of the picture. Her hair would fall behind her dress, and her legs were underneath it, so I felt like doing what was going to be a forward focus first. I put a lot of time and detail into the dress, and that took me more than an hour to get finished and right! I looked at a lot of Alice in Wonderland pictures to know what kind of dress design I wanted as well. 


Afterwards it was time to put in her legs and and arms. Once I did that I got to out a lot of time and effort into her hair which again, took me quite a while. Usually Alice is wearing trainers or simple shoes, but my Alice is cool, so she is wearing books with have a space-themed kind of design. She's also holding the pocket watch in one hand and a bottle of something labelled 'eat me' in the other. Don't ask me how she is supposed to eat something that comes out of a bottle - I don't think I was thinking too carefully when I added in that detail.  

Finished the background as the next time! She is now surrounded by lots of flying cards. I challenged myself to make one or two of them Queens and Jokers where you could actually identify them. I had a bit of fun with that. This was quickly turning out to be one of my best drawings, so I put time into it. 


I took some "finished" photos and close ups at this stage because this was a favourite drawing of mine and I wasn't sure about adding colour to it... but I did in the end, as you'll see in the last picture. 



This is the final drawing with some colour to it as well! I colour with colouring pencils, so the most fun I had with this was trying to add in lots of shades to her hair, and decided to make the dress white for the most part, with some darker colours mixed in there. 


I hope this post was still fun for you! I'll work harder at the cooking and crafting soon, I promise x

New Video! Winter, the final book in a series I love by Marissa Meyer came out recently! I made my video a book review of Fairest, the novella of the series, in order to celebrate!


Olivia's Question: Do you like drawing or colouring?

Olivia-Savannah x

38 comments:

  1. It's not bad at all! Wow! I really like the second drawing a lot and you should do more of these posts because I love them (not that you have to do blog posts especially for me, just saying!).

    I do draw, and colour. And do all that. But that is kinda my job which made me stop drawing for fun - but I do enjoy what I am doing so I guess I am working for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to slot in some more time for drawing and see where it could possibly take me <3 I am glad you like them though! And you should also share some of your artwork! I have seen bits and pieces on instagram and I am glad you find your work fun.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, those drawings look amazing! I love how you explained how every drawing starts, with very basic shapes and placement, and the end result is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to do more than just present the pictures if I wasn't going to be doing the 'right' kind of post for this meme! So I thought maybe a walk through would be cool :3

      Delete
  3. You did such an awesome job, girl!! I love to draw manga too and this is seriously so cool. I love the details of the her dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it! I would love to see some of your manga sometime, too ;)

      Delete
  4. You are so talented Olivia, so never stop doing everything you love. These are great! I can't even draw stick figures, even though I took Art in high school and passed with an A. Luckily, our teacher wanted us to work with what we were good at, so pottery and oil paints were fun. With paints, it didn't matter what it looked like to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing might not be your thing, but it is so cool to be able to work oil paints and pottery too! I would love to see how pottery works at some point in my life :3

      Delete
  5. I really like your artwork. Very good, indeed! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really good Olivia! I can't draw for the life of me and I wish I could even draw the initial sketches LOL but I do like colouring which for me is easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually worse at colouring! We all have our strengths and weaknesses ;)

      Delete
  7. Olivia you are so creative, intelligent, sporty and beautiful! Such a gifted young lady, your drawings came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Steffy! You really are too kind to me <3

      Delete
  8. i like your crown

    ReplyDelete
  9. [ Smiles ] Wow! You're quite the artist!

    By the way, I would like you to email me the URL of the new blog that you are the co-administrator of. I remembered that you mentioned to me that you are working on a new blogging project and I would like to be supportive of that new blogging project of yours!

    My email address can be found in the "Contact" page of my blog.

    Do enjoy the rest of your week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for wanting to help me out by supporting our new blog! I will send over the link right now, actually :)

      Delete
  10. Good drawings. I understand how it's hard to draw bodies at different angles. I always have some trouble with that and with drawing hands as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! I am working on trying different positions and hopefully I can get better at doing them in time.

      Delete
  11. I like how you're always tapping into your creative side, Olivia. And these drawings are great! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that whatever I do, I can always share it here with my blogger friends <3 Always so accepting!

      Delete
  12. Omg these are amazing! I love them!! :O and I'm such a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland ^-^ I'm currently reading Alice Takes Back Wonderland.
    I'd love to see more posts like these, I really enjoy drawing and seeing other people's art :D

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't actually a big fan of the actual classics >.> But I love all the retellings and so on! I will try to put some more up in time, if I find the time to draw!

      Delete
  13. Hiya boo! Can I just say how FREAKING TALENTED ADN AWESOME you are?? I've tried my hand at Manga so I could draw how I would like for some potential book covers to look and I was a total FAIL WHALE at it...yeah...so I hope I can figure out how to do it soon so I can have my stuff turn out like yours! (One day) :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keionda, you are always too nice! <33 It took me so long to get to these drawings, honestly. Keep practicing and I just know you are gonna kick-butt at this ^.^

      Delete
  14. Awesome drawings! My new saying is I wish I could draw, but at least I can color! I love all the adult coloring books coming out now. I still haven't read any books by Meyer but I want to badly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have been seeing those colouring books! I would love to have one, but unfortunately colouring isn't really my kind of thing... so I probably won't xD You really should try and get one of her books! They are amazing.

      Delete
  15. Wow Olivia you're really good! I really wish I could draw. I can barely make a simple tree look decent, but my friend you are amazing! I've had Fairest from quite some time now, but haven't read it yet, I recently won Winter in a pre-order giveaway, and now I feel like I should read Fairest first before diving in. I know I don't have too, but you know how us bloggers are lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tika! I know what you mean about wanting to read Fairest first - I can be like that too. I hope you like it! And winning Winter is so cool DD:

      Delete
  16. Woah. You draw really good! I wish I could draw like that. I can't draw anything without a copy especially if it's a character from a manga or a book. I'm looking forward to more of your posts like these!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get back into drawing! I did like doing this post and forming it. But yeah, it is easier to copy something! But if you keep doing that, you learn about proportions and soon you can make your own.

      Delete
  17. I don't know that I'd want to feel closer to Levana in ANY way, but hey, wearing crowns is fun! She is absolutely terrifying, though. I listened to Fairest a couple months back and... aah. I thought Chanery was bad, to begin with, but Levana is just so horribly twisted. It was really intense, that one.

    Wow, your art skills are great! I liked the first a lot at the stage before it got coloured in, and it was interesting that you commented, about the second one, that you were hesitant to colour it! It looked so, so gorgeous, though, both ways. You did a truly fantastic job! Your detailing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching! Ahaha that's true if I think about it now. It was such an interesting read, and like you said, intense. I liked the first one most before colouring too, so it is good I have a photocopy of it in black and white before I did colour it. Thank you, Romi <3

      Delete
  18. You amazing multi talented person! These are so good, and you did them with no guide! They are really impressive! I love the first one.
    I usually always see an image for my art. But improvising is so much more fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people like that first one most! I am glad you do. I do a lot of art when I have an image to go first, but I feel like I have no claim to that so I didn't want to share it here ^.^

      Delete