Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Lumiere (Review & Tour!)

Hi there!

Title: Lumiere (The Illumination Paradox #1)
Author:  Jacqueline Garlick
Publisher:  Skyscape
Published Date:  26th October 2013
Rating: 3 Stars

*Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the review copy*

Synopsis: One determined girl. One resourceful boy. One miracle machine that could destroy everything.

After an unexplained flash shatters her world, seventeen-year-old Eyelet Elsworth sets out to find the Illuminator, her father’s prized invention. With it, she hopes to cure herself of her debilitating seizures before Professor Smrt—her father’s arch nemesis—discovers her secret and locks her away in an asylum.

Pursued by Smrt, Eyelet locates the Illuminator only to see it whisked away. She follows the thief into the world of the unknown, compelled not only by her quest but by the allure of the stranger—Urlick Babbit—who harbors secrets of his own.

Together, they endure deadly Vapours and criminal-infested woods in pursuit of the same prize, only to discover the miracle machine they hoped would solve their problems may in fact be their biggest problem of all.

Review: This book was published in 2013 but recently seems to be given a whole new surge of attention because a new edited edition was released! The minute I set my eyes on the cover of this book, I wanted it. I thought it was beautiful and it also clearly looked like a steampunk novel. If you know me, you know I love my steampunk and yet I feel like I don’t read it enough. Which is why I jumped at the chance to review this.

I had a few issues with this book, but there were also a few things I liked! So I am going to make this a list like review.


The bad:
  • The villain’s name was Smrt. I am so sorry, but I couldn’t get over this. How was this even a name? It doesn’t have a vowel in it!
  • Some things needed a bit more explanation or description. Some things were just ‘there’ (especially in the beginning) and I wanted to know what they were, or what they meant. But they were brushed over.
  • I wanted to see more of the world. There was a whole new world here, but we weren’t getting see much of it.
  • Sometimes the language used to describe things was very strange. Like, I don’t want you to mention his ‘boysenberry lips’. I just want you to kiss him already. The language didn’t always flow so well.

Most of these bad things occur towards the beginning of the book. But around the middle and the end, I got really invested in the story. So here comes the good…

The good:
  • We didn’t see much of the world but what we did see, I really liked. I felt like it was unique and a new place to explore with new rules.
  • The steampunk elements. Because steampunk makes me happy and that was done very well. YAY!
  • Sometimes the language being strange suited this story perfectly and made it unique.
  • I got caught up in the romance and the crazy story at the halfway mark and I wanted to see how things were going to end up.
  • There’s lots of chases in this book. If you like a good chase, this one is for you.
  • The plot twist wasn’t mind-bogglingly huge, but it was also not expected, so it was a pleasant shock!
  • The cover is still perfect and beautiful. It also does a good job of reflecting the novel, which is something you will know once you’ve read it.

That’s all I have to say about this book! It was a mix of good and bad, but I still managed to enjoy this beginning to the series quite a bit. Oh, and it ended on a cliffhanger as well!

Giveaway Time! Enter to win a special PPP up hand cut flying balloon card, signed copy of Lumiere and some bling!


Links: Goodreads and Amazon!


Olivia’s Question: Are you into the steampunk genre?

Olivia-Savannah x

35 comments:

  1. Sounds like the world (what you saw of it) was great and the steampunk elements were cool. But, I can understand the annoyance with the things that weren't so great. Great review! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mixture of both! Now wondering whether not to read the sequel...

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of steampunk, but I haven't found a book that works for me. Blah.

    I don't think I would be able to get over ANYONES name with this one!

    Thanks for sharing Olivia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steampunks can be hard to get right! I would try either the Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve, or Chronicles of Steele: Raven, by Pauline Creeden if you want to get a very good one!

      Delete
  3. Steampunk can make for such unique reads! The world sounds well-written, and I love it when a plot twist is unpredictable until it shocks you - even if it's nothing huge. Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I think a mechanically based world is so intrigue. Plot twists are always welcome to me!

      Delete
  4. The villain's name "Smrt" was just too much for me. I still can't get over it even now. :') lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover looks gorgeous indeed but I've had troubles with steampunk novels before. It's funny that loving fantasy I find steampunk books unbeliavable, but I do LOL Don't mind me, I'm just weird. And although you said there is not much world building at least you liked what you get. There is nothing worse than getting little about the background to understand the story and not liking what you read about it for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't judge you on that! Although I would be curious into knowing more of the reasoning as to why.

      Delete
  6. That cover is gorgeous! Steampunk has become addictive to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you love the genre like me! I LOVE this cover so much <3

      Delete
  7. Hahahaha omg what's with that villain's name?! And the boysenberry lips. I can't stop laughing x'D I'm almost sure I have this on my tbr list, I have been meaning to read more books with steampunk elements :) Great review, Olivia! I liked how you separated everything into these two categories.

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some really weird things... But yes, read more steampunk!

      Delete
  8. Nice list! I didn’t read the book, but your first bad point made me laugh. When I read the synopsis, in my head, I kept saying smart for Smrt. And yeah, boysenberry lips are a bit weird. I don’t think I’ve read Steampunk, but I’m always up for branching out from my reading norms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I tried to edit his name into that for me as well. You should give steampunk a try - it can be a really great read sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Hmm, not sure if this is my type, but I do love the cover! Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The romance sounds well done, but a no vowel villian would bother me too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Olivia!-Savannah!
    Thanks so much for the review! I get a LOT of comments about Smrt. I took a chance there for sure. The reason: I found it in an authentic registry at an old Victorian English graveyard. It was the odd surname of a deceased, who...get this... was the LAST in his line of lineage. There was a handwritten note next to it indicating he died a bachelor and thus, the Smrt namesake was now also laid to rest as well. That was just too cool not to resurrect, so I took that chance. Sorry it bugged you. But, now you can see my reasoning of madness, no? Thanks again! (PS: all the names in the book have secret metaphorical meanings...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that them all having metaphorical meanings sounds like it is interesting. Now I want to know what they are! And it's interesting to know the background story behind that name choice!

      Delete
  12. By far one of your funnier reviews, namely you're perspective on a vowel-less name. :) I love steampunk too and the world-building, though under developed, is enough to entice me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If so, I hope you do try this one. I think in that case you will like it :)

      Delete
  13. I have been wanting to read a steampunk book- but so far I haven't taken the plunge. I do have one on my shelf though- so hopefully I get to it soon. :) I agree with you that this cover is fabulous! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you really should. Steampunk is an awesome but underrated genre!

      Delete
  14. I love steampunk too, but I haven't found a book that is steampunk yet until now. I agree that Smrt, would also drive me insane, just call him Smart at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to make sure I review more of them so you can find them to read :3

      Delete
  15. The cover does look really pretty, but Smrt? WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit strange! But yes, lovely cover <3

      Delete
  16. I've heard pretty mixed things about this one as well. I'm not really feeling that you don't get to see much of the world, I feel as though any type of world-building or explanation is needed in any genre other than contemporary. & seriously SMRT? How would you even pronounce that? SMURT? hahaha, I'm sorry, I can not deal lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also wondering about the pronunciation! And although I did want more explanation in terms of world building, the world was still there and described.

      Delete
  17. I recently started reading steam punk and I really like it. Historically educational for me, oh .... the action awesome. The one I favor is Chronicles of Steele: Raven, by Pauline Creeden. Such a strong protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I really liked that book as well! I can't wait until the sequel comes out so I can read that one as well. And yes, most times it does relate to history as well.

      Delete
  18. Ooh, now this sounds pretty interesting, although I can understand the issues you had with it. When a book doesn’t build up enough, or doesn’t take enough time to expand on a shocking happening or whatnot, it tends to leave one feeling less invested than they otherwise would. I’m with you on the cover, though! I like that quite a bit! I also really like Steampunk as a genre, although... I also don’t read enough of it, despite that love. Not sure if this would be for me, but I really do think I should focus more on reading Steampunk books! That’d be a plan.
    Lovely review! I always enjoy a good list!
    xx

    ReplyDelete