Tuesday, 24 November 2015

The Book Thief (Movie Review)

Hi there everyone!

Today I am going to review the film ‘The Book Thief,’ which I am sure many of you know is also a book by Markus Zusak which I have reviewed here. It’s one of the best book to film adaptions I have ever seen, putting aside the fact that none of the characters or scenes looked even slightly as I imagined them, that is, I still loved it! It was released in 2013.

Although the book is told from the point of view of Death, the movie toys with this idea only at the beginning and end, and a little bit in the middle too. I can understand why they didn’t stress this too much – it would be hard to portray death as a character. So I can forgive them for this. The film, like the book is set in Germany during World War II, and follows the story of a young girl called Liesel Meminger. She is the book thief, who has a small habit of stealing books. And as the blurb of the book summarises itself: When Liesel’s foster family hides a Jewish man in their basement, Liesel’s world is both opened up and closed down.

Although after reading the book I was tied between loving Liesel and Rudy as my favourite characters, in the film Rudy clearly steals my heart. He’s a little different, but he is a cute, sweet and aloyal friend to Liesel all the way from the beginning. As well as never letting her down, he also does all he can to stay happy and optimistic, trying to understand his mysterious friend. I will say though, Liesel’s character also very well portrayed. Rudy is her best friend, a boy who likes football and fancies himself a charmer of the ladies. He can be rude, he can be nice and he can be persistent too. Either way, he is an unshakable friend for Liesel. And Liesel herself is also quite the character. She seems quieter than she does in the book, and more head strong at certain times. But as an actress and an actor, both Sophie Nilesse and Nico Liersch were breathed the characters to life in a way I didn’t think possible.

Ben Schnetzer played Max, the Jewish man who is hidden in their basement. In the book he becomes Liesel’s true friend and they are as close as brother and sister. Although there was a hint at this relationship, the movie and his acting didn’t quite cut it for me. I wanted more of an emotional rollercoaster when it came to this character, and for me it just wasn’t there.

The setting and costuming was very well done. As well as the special effects in the ending – which I won’t spoil for those who haven’t read the book or seen this yet.

The movie is rated a 12 and runs for about 130 minutes. It was directed by Brian Percival who is best known for the work he did with the television show Downtown Abbey. I recommend this to anyone interested in this time period and who doesn’t mind a bit of a sad movie.

Links: Amazon!

Latest video! My latest video is full of book recommendations based on your personality type!


Olivia’s Question: If there was one thing you could endlessly collect, what would it be?

Olivia-Savannah x

32 comments:

  1. I remember finishing the book in January 2014 and the same day I read the last page was when the movie came out in Spain. I went to see it that night with my family and I couldn't stop the tears. I thought all actors did an amazing job (I was quite impressed with Ben actually and his physical transformation for the role) but the kids specially shined in every scene (the last scene with them was just heartwrenching and a change from the book I didn't mind because I thought it suited the story very well). However, I would say I kinda felt a hint of romantic relationship between Liesel and Max? I don't know how to explain it but actually when the movie ended the first thing my parents and sisters asked was: did they get married? so I don't know what they were trying there but I felt it somehow. Maybe it was just us LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, handling the book and the movie in one single day must have been intense! I can definitely understand the tears... :( Yes, in this one I definitely felt more of the hint at the romantic relationship as well but it did work out there well for me and I didn't mind that touch because it just made it all the more heart-wrenching at the end!

      Delete
  2. I have seen this a few times, but I haven't read it yet. I'm thinking of getting to it over the New Year, as I want to read it when Anna and The Swallow Man releases in January. That time in the world's history is being brought to fiction like nothing I have ever seen before. Great review Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about it being portrayed a lot lately, and I think it is good because we need to remember and try to relate to the horrors of the world wars so that we never anything like it occur again.

      Delete
  3. I don't usually have the best relationship with book to movie adaptations, but this is one of my favourites. I loved the book, and I thought, while the movie was different, it was still very good. The 1940's is my favourite time period to read or watch, so it's not really a big surprise that I loved it. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Olivia.

    Ely of Tea & Titles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand - sometimes they are hard to like as much as the books! I am glad this one worked out for you though. It is different but I liked the changes they made.

      Delete
  4. I knew of the movie before I knew of the book. Unfortunately, I have yet to experience either version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should when you get the chance to.

      Delete
  5. I heard that a lot of people cried during the movie, so it seems they poured the appropriate amount of emotion into this one! I'm sad that Max wasn't well casted, he's such an important part of the story. At least Rudy and the costume and setting were great! Nice review <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of people really do! The emotions are especially enough to break you if you have read the book and cried there. I felt like he wasn't but some really did like his part as well. Thanks, Rachel ^.^

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed the book and the movie separately. I found Liesel's character was done really well, and I also have to agree that Max was not well cast. I had been looking forward to seeing how Liesel and Max develop and the actor and his scenes didn't deliver.
    But the movie is something I've watched more than once. The cinematography is amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can understand you there. Ah, you agree with me on the Max side of things. It was such a strong point in the book, it was a little bit of a let down. The cinematography <3

      Delete
  7. Nail polish!
    I should watch this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it! And nail polish is a good thing to collect. Gets my stamp of approval ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi, Olivia - I loved both book and movie. I actually liked the movie just a tad better than the book which is unusual. Nice review! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you must have really loved it! I am glad you could enjoy them both :D

      Delete
  9. I haven't read the book yet, which is why I was putting off watching the movie. I have no clue when I'm actually going to read The Book Thief, so may go ahead and watch the film. Your review really covered some topics I didn't even know occurred in the movie, I definitely need to sit my booty down and watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should definitely go and watch the movie! Many actually watched this one before reading it, and still loved the both of them equally as much.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing the review. I read The Book Thief without realizing it was a YA (not my normal genre). I loved it because I have never cried so much reading a book. The same happened when I saw the movie, on New Year's Eve, too. Of course, it didn't have the same impact for me as the book, but it was very good.

    If I could collect anything, it would be books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were reading outside of your genre, even if it was an accident xd But yes, that is an epic book that everyone should read! And what a movie to watch on New Year's Eve. I am glad you could like the both of them. I think that is my answer too!

      Delete
  11. I have heard so much about this one and need to make time for book and movie.

    I feel like I am already endlessly collecting books and disney tshirts

    ReplyDelete
  12. [ Smiles ] Nice book recommendations, Olivia-Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed the book, but haven't seen the movie yet. It sounds great. I definitely need to check it out. Great review! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like the movie, especially as you enjoyed the book. Hope you get the chance to see it soon x

      Delete
  14. I absolutely loved this movie! Sad, powerful and just brilliant. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I own this book, but stilll haven't read it (clearly I'm missing out!). But I DID see the movie and absolutely loved it. I think it's one of the first movies to ever make me cry. Hopefully I get on to reading that book soon. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really are! Read it as soon as possible! But I am glad that you were able to love this movie so much and it moved you <3

      Delete
  16. I absolutely loved the book, in fact it left me speechless and moved. Unfortunately I didn't experience the same with the film and therefore I did not like it. Probably because it was way too different from the book, and I was expecting something more faithful, which did not happen. But like you said the settings and costumes were very well made. Here's my review http://afilmadaybysonia.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-book-thief-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book is simply wonderful. The movie does fall short in comparison, but I think it was still a decent watch, especially when it came to Liesel and Rudy's relationship.

      Delete