Saturday, 30 January 2016

Monthly Wrap Up ~ January 2016

Good morning everyone! Today is going to be my last post of the month, so we have my monthly wrap up post! The first one of 2016.



This month has been up and down for me. At the beginning of the month, even though I started off optimistic, a wave of pessimism struck me and I struggled to keep happy. But with the help of some good friends I managed to pull through that! I feel like this month was pretty uneventful because school decidedly took over my life, but I got a few things done!

I turned 17 on the 29th and my parents have given me a trip to Paris for my birthday! I have a sister studying there for a year so I can't wait to go and spend the week with her sometime in February. One of my best friends has moved back to America which was a sad point for me. Before she left we all went bowling... I haven't been bowling in years, but I surprised myself by winning the first round. I also started up a book club called Owls Be Reading this month because I've always dreamed of being in one myself. Join us, because we'll be staring I Am Malala on the 1st of February!

I've been having a lot of fun improving my photos for instagram as well. I spent one day as a Shadowhunter and have decided I am going to be changing up the Olivia Snaps posts a little... you'll see what I mean (hopefully) next week.



This was my first month working with a TBR and I semi-owned it, semi-failed it. Semi-owned because I read all the ebooks I was intending to and more. Semi-failed because I only read one physical book this month, and it wasn't the one of the two I planned to read!





I'm proud to be able to say that of these books that I read this month I've already reviewed Annabeth Neverending, Soul Reapers, Level Up and also New World Rising. So you can just go and read my thoughts about those ones in the reviews! Vulnerability as the Road to Change by Pratima Nagaraj is a self-improvement book about vulnerability. I didn't think I was going to appreciate it nearly as much as I did. Arrows by Melissa Gorzelanczyk was a book I read in a day. I just loved the cute romance and I have a review of that one coming. I've also got a review of Stygian by Santino Hassell coming in February too. It was a steamy NA that I didn't know I was going to devour and love like I did. I read the whole thing in a day and spent day two rereading the whole thing again. That's the extent of my addiction to it. I am now officially someone who loves the NA genre as well. The book has changed me. The last book I read was Shearwater by Derek Murphy. I read it for an editorial review, and will be reading the full thing when I get an ARC in October. So the review is gonna be a long time coming for that one. But I loved the whole mermaid aspect. I don't think I've read many mermaid stories before.





Don't you just love my over-ambitious TBR! At least anything I don't read, I will pass over to the next month. I've brought over Emma by Jane Austen because I am halfway and didn't finish it last month. And Wonder by RJ Palacio is there again. But the new additions are:

Oliver Twist by Charles Dicken
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (Reread)
Winter by Marissa Meyer
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson

The rest of them are ebooks which are all for review in this case. I've started The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths but I hope to finish it! The others are:

Gabrielle and the Swallows by Esther Dalseno 
The Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin 
Twelve Days in December by Michele Paige Holmes
Soulless by Jacinta Maree
The Bathory Curse by Renee Lake 




The Backlist Books Challenge: 0/50 (Gonna do better next month!)
The 12 Month Classics: 0/12 (Working on it!)
Popsugar 2016 Challenge:7/40
2016 #BustleReads Challenge: 2/20

Olivia's Question: How has January been for you? What did you get up to? What did you read? What do you want to read next month?

Olivia-Savannah x

46 comments:

  1. I see quite a few interesting books for you this week. I hope you love all of them.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books I am looking forward to reading!

      Delete
  2. You signed up for quite a lot challenges. Good luck with all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing better with some of them than others. We'll see how things work out!

      Delete
  3. How exciting! i would love to see Europe one day (Paris, specially). I hope you'll enjoy your time with your sister.

    I know what you mean about spurts of pessimism that can ruin your resolve. Surround yourself with positive people! People say I easily discard people from my life, but that's not true at all. I make efforts in my friendships and relationships, but if they're not reciprocated, or someone constantly ruins my vibe, I drop them like a hot potato faster than they can say boo. Lol.

    I hope you'll have a wonderful February, Olivia. Looking forward Olivia Snaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I hope you do get to see Europe someday. I have a good group of friends and they do help me pull through it. I just gotta get better at voicing when I feel low as well because I'm the sort of person who keeps feelings to myself, mostly. I hope you have a great February too!

      Delete
  4. [ Smiles ] Hmm. It looked as though you were quite busy for the month of January.

    And, the next time that you are feeling depressed, go out to the nearest book-store and purchase a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Renard? That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thank you <3

      Delete
  5. January has been slow for me. Family emergencies have me not wanting to do much of anything by the time my day is over. I just want to be stress free, and I need to learn to say no more often. Sometimes I think people take advantage of my kindness. Blogging wise has been okay. I wasn't expecting to post any this week, but I managed. I know I'll be taking a break around the second week in February, for some personal stuff. I so wasn't planning on a hiatus until later this year.

    I read 23 books this month, so that's great progress. 3 audiobooks, 18 ebooks, and 2 physical books. I'm hoping to read more physical books for the next few months, which should be easy. Arrows was an okay read for me. It was cute, but the mythology seemed so silly to me. I guess that was the point. My review will be up Wednesday for that. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like the month hasn't been too easy for you. But yeah, get used to saying no. It can be so difficult when all you want to do is help everyone, but helping yourself is key as well. You seem to be slaying it with blogging, and yours has grown so much, it makes me so happy when I come to comment and I've seen all the people there before me. But if you need a hiatus, you enjoy your time off and get all that real life stuff sorted.

      *Jaw drops* 23 BOOKS? Oh, how I wish I could read that much! I need to work on reading my physical books as well. It's about time I did that! The mythology was lacking, but I did love the romance itself. I will look out for your review :)

      Delete
  6. I see a lot of great books. I'll be curious to read your review of some of them. Happy 17th birthday!! Have a good time in Paris and take lots of pics.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few reviews coming up of those that I have read! And lots of reviews waiting in the wings to be stuffed on the blog at some time in the future :3

      Delete
  7. I didn't realise how young you are! OK, I now feel totally ancient. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I still *look* about 12 (being ID'd for Lottery tickets, and asked why you're not at school today, is not fun,) but it's been over a decade since I actually *was* 12! (Sigh) 17... wow, that feels like forever ago! ;)

      Delete
    2. You're still young! Enjoy your age <3

      Delete
  8. I just started Arrows today, so yay! I'm so excited for its cuteness! I was supposed to have an entire day to read it, but life changed and now adulting got in the way. I still hope to read a big chunk today. :) Enjoy your weekend!! And great job with the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will be able to enjoy the book! It's a pretty good book ;)

      Delete
  9. Wow have fun in Paris!! It's definitely one of my favorite cities :D And happy belated birthday <3 Wasn't Arrows so darn cute? I binged it in a day too. Can't wait for you to read WRATH, it is one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it there last time so I can't wait to go again! It was just so sweet <3 Looking forward to TWATD all the more now :D

      Delete
  10. I may have to 'borrow' your idea of a monthly reading challenge update. I need the accountability!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should definitely do it! It's so useful for keeping track of everything ^.^

      Delete
  11. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you had a great day and that you enjoy your time in Paris, I bet it will be amazing! I've been Disneyland Paris, but never actually visited Paris itself... I NEED TO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disneyland Paris is pretty cool! And thank you Charnell <3

      Delete
  12. I didn't read nearly as much as I had planned to read this month. I got held up with some things at work and life stuff. I did read two books- both over 500 pages, so I hope I will make more of a dent next month. I am used to reading much more, but I was tired after work demands and didn't read as much each day.

    Awesome about your birthday trip to Paris. Yeah and Happy Birthday too!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two books with that many pages is still quite a feat! But if your blog is anything to go by, you certainly have been busy. Maybe you can fit in more reading next month.

      Delete
  13. I hope you get to The Wrath and the Dawn! I read it in the summer, and I absolutely adored it. I've heard a lot about Symptoms of Being Human, and it looks really good, so I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think!

    You're so lucky to go to Paris! I hope you have a wonderful time, and it looks like a beautiful city. I hope you enjoyed Shadowhunters, too!

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you could love it a lot! I'm hearing quite a few positive things about it. I will be reading TSoBH for a tour so I know I will get to it and hopefully appreciate the themes it is bringing across. Shadowhunters is pretty good so far!

      Delete
  14. Sad to hear you had some not so good times during this month, but I am glad your friends helped you though that period! Have fun in Paris!

    I joined your book club too! And for next month I hope to read Winter too - it was on this month's TBR too, but I didn't get to it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good to me. Thank you <3 I've seen you around there! Hopefully you will read I Am Malala with us all <3 Here's to Winter being good!

      Delete
  15. A trip to Paris, that is my dream vacation. I probably would pass out if I got that as a gift. Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one day you get to go as well ;)

      Delete
  16. Wow! Paris is so exciting. I am sure you will have a great time (cuz how could you NOT). I hope you take lots of pictures and share them. I highly recommend The Wrath and the Dawn and Winter from your TBR. I am so looking forward to the sequel to The Wrath and the Dawn.
    As for my January, I wish I had taken more advantage of my time and got more books read. February has so many great releases I am a bit overbooked.
    Enjoy all you new reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be taking pictures like crazy <3 I can't wait to read those both! Hopefully you can read more in February!

      Delete
  17. Happy belated Birthday Olivia!!! And Paris sounds so cool! It's a place I really wanna visit in the future. My January hasn't been good either so here is to a better February ^^ And I hope you can get to Wonder this time around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, hope February is better for you too! I hope so as well ;)

      Delete
  18. Brilliant wrap-up post. Theres some stuff you posted that I haven't read yet. Hopefully I can get round to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shadowhunters has been great! There are only like a couple of things that bother me though, but it's pretty good :)
    And I love you TBR list! I've been making one myself for this year and it's just so long D: but January has been a great month for me, I got more reading done than I thought I would, given that I've had to work a lot lately, so yay! :D We'll see.

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the fence about Shadowhunters so far but I am still watching it ^^ Hope you can get to all those books you want to <3 Oh, and yay for so much reading!

      Delete
  20. Time flows so fast! It's already the second month of 2016. I began reading the Rise of a New World. I like the begging a lot and I think it will be one of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either! I hope you enjoy the book :)

      Delete
  21. Nice. Every time I see people's TBR lists I feel like a hoarder lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha don't worry, we're all hoarders within <3

      Delete
  22. Happy belated birthday!! I'd love to be 17 again so make sure you enjoy every minute especially Paris!

    I saw your Shadowhunter pics on Instagram, one day I will get back to this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! This is actually my last evening in Paris and I have really LOVED this time. I do hope you finish the series at some point because I just love them so much :3

      Delete