Tuesday, 29 March 2016

We Were Liars (Book Review)

Hi there!

Title: We Were Liars
Author:  Emily Lockhart
Publisher:  Hot Key Books
Published Date: 13th May 2014
Rating: 4 stars

 Synopsis: We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken. A tale of love and romance. A tale of tragedy. Which are lies? Which is truth? You decide.


Review: I wanted to read this book so much because I had seen a lot of positive reviews for it and there was quite a big hype. I was also a bit anxious, but as soon as my friend gave it to me for Christmas, I started reading it straight away. I am glad I did!

The first thing I noticed about it was the style of writing, which was different to me. It was nice enough, but sometimes it felt a little dry because it was so simplistic. It was straightforward and not very embellished, so sometimes it was almost poetic. It certainly made the story even more unique. 

The idea of this book is that the main character has been through something traumatising and needs to remember it. It made me think of the book Silver Linings Playbook. If you liked that one you might like this.

The four main characters, who call themselves the Liars were nice enough. I didn’t feel a deep rooted  connection to any of them because for some reason the writer keeps us distant. We don't connect to them because we never sink really deep into knowing them. It was enough to keep me reading through the fairly slow paced beginning until I got to the plot twist everyone was talking about.


Although I did love this book in the end, the most shameful thing is that I had to wait till the end to love it. I wasn't feeling the romance in this one at all because it was so non existent and flimsy. I basically ignored the romance altogether. And the rest of the story was okay - but it wasn't wonderful. 

So how did I give this one a four star rating?

The ending had this amazing plot twist, which makes it hard to review this without spoiling it. I will admit that it is not predictable at all, so when it hits you, you’ll be shocked. It was good, surprising, and then things I didn’t even know were out of place suddenly fell into place. The author does a brilliant job of leaving clues throughout the whole book, and once you know of them you can read it again and go OH in all the places she mentions them! But beforehand... they were all incredibly invisible to me.


The only reason his got four of five stars is that I wish I didn’t need to wait so long for the plot twist to come. I know some readers might’ve lost interest by then. But not us ones who like to endure :D

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

New Video! Discussion post about Supernatural season one!


Olivia’s Question: Where’s your favourite holiday destination?


Olivia-Savannah x

30 comments:

  1. I'm a little terrified of this book, to be honest. I don't know why. I think it's the idea of a group of privileged kids being up to no good for most of the novel. And it certainly looks like it took you a bit to warm up to the novel itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why you should be a bit afraid before starting! It does take a while to warm up to the novel, but I enjoyed it in the end. I certainly could admire the brains behind it.

      Delete
  2. I'm a bit 'meh' about whether to try this book or not.

    Great review though Olivia - and that cat gif rocks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe glad you like my cat choice! Maybe it's one to pick up when there is nothing much else planned?

      Delete
  3. Great review. I also had a hard time connecting to the characters.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always relieving to know I'm not the only one...

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting...
    Oh and I wish I could watch your opinions about Supernatural S01! I'm at work now, so I can't, but I'm going to assume that you love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you get the chance to watch it soon! I did love it though :D

      Delete
  5. This one is still on my wish list, but for some reason I fail to add it to my cart whenever I'm on Amazon. I may just borrow it from the library soon. My favorite holiday destination will always be Orlando, FL. It used to be Daytona and Panama, but I've grown fond of Orlando the last few times I've gone. Las Vegas is another favorite, though I've only been twice. It's just so hot there! It was hard to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should go ahead and borrow it! I would be curious to know your thoughts about this one. It sounds like you've really found a place you love visiting. Orlando <3

      Delete
  6. Glad you endured, Olivia. Sounds like it was well worth it. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plot twist near the end was the best part! D:

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear didn't love until the end, but at least got reward for enduring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad when things turn out to be rewarding ^.^

      Delete
  8. [ Smiles ] Hmm. Interesting!

    I wouldn't mind reading that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might be the only person who did not love this one or find the ending all that shocking. I just felt underwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww such a shame :( I've been watching booktube videos and there are actually a few people who did predict the ending. I don't know how you guys do it though DD:

      Delete
  10. I've seen this book and considered reading it, but I don't think I will. I'm a character lover, so if I can't connect with them, I most likely won't like the book.

    My favorite holiday destination is Portovenere, Italy. Love Italy. This summer, we will be heading to Wales for a little R&R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. For the most part, I'm a character driven reader as well.

      I really want to visit Italy someday! I have been to Wales, and it is such a nice place. Especially in the summer :)

      Delete
  11. This book has been on my radar for a while now girl! It seems like this book was a meh read for you. :( I wish the romance could have been played out better so it kind of leaves me disappointed since I was really anxious to read this one! :( Meh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sort of meh, but in the end it turned out to be the good kind of meh? It was confusing! You should still try it though :3

      Delete
  12. Happy the ending made it all worth it, sucks you didn't connect with the characters though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending did make it all worth it in the end, luckily :D

      Delete
  13. The synopsis sounds like something that will keep you awake and guessing all the time. But I appreciate your honesty. It really happens. Some of my friends would rave about a book and I'll end up not liking it and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plot twist at the end had me thinking about it for ages afterwards! But it was the lead up to it that was a little disappointing...

      Delete
  14. I really enjoyed reading this book too! I agree with a lot of the points you made - I definitely felt distant from the characters. That made it a bit hard for me to read it, but that plot twist made it all worth it! :D
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, someone who shares the same feels! I don't always come across those kind of people too often :3

      Delete
  15. I must confess, this was not a favorite of mine. I can't even really explain how, because I am usually AWFUL at it, but I figured out the plot twist VERY early on. So I assume that is why I was annoyed with it? And I didn't really love the characters, but I DID enjoy the writing (and the setting!) Great review, I am glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still impressed that you managed to do it! I think without the plot twist this book would've been a complete flop for me, so I can see how you didn't like it after that...

      Delete