Thursday, 14 April 2016

Mail Order Brides (Review)

Hi there!

Title: Mail Order Bride
Authors: Stacy Henrie, Kristin Holt, Annette Lyon, Sarah M.Eden, Heather B. Moore and Sian Ann Bessey.
Publisher: Mirror Press
Published Date: 9th February 2015
Rating: 4 Stars

*Thank you to Ebooks4review or the review copy*

Synopsis: You can find it here! It's a bit lengthy so I'm just linking it.

Review: Mail Order Brides is a historical fiction romance anthology. I wanted to read it because the concept of mail order brides was entirely new to me. I was interested in seeing what could come of it, and the creativity really astounded me. With the same concept these authors managed to make each short story unique. I just loved reading them all. I have a mini review for each. 

Written in Her Heart: As an opening short story I wanted this one to grip me immediately. And it did. It was sweet and cute. It had coloured characters even though this was a short story, a brilliant writing style and even used flashbacks. I really loved the romance as well. 

Wanted: Midwife Bride: This one showed me that men can be so cruel. I can't believe the way one of them tried to take advantage of a smart woman just because she was smart. I really liked Naomi. She had ambition, a clever, down to earth mind and was sensible. She had trust issues after being hurt the way she was, and that made sense. There was a touch of insta-affection/love, but this is a collection of historical fiction romance short stories. It's makes sense for that to happen, and I'll excuse it a bit in all of these short stories. 

The Sound of Home: This book brought another cruel man. It also dealt with the issue of illness and loss. I liked how Marilyn wasn't afraid of hard work and was willing to put elbow grease into what she was doing. 

For Better or Worse: I loved the situation that these main characters found themselves in. Imagine sending for a mail order bride, only for her to turn out to be a girl you strongly disliked from your childhood. It was the enemies to lover kind of thing that I have not seen in historical fiction before. And I liked it!

An Inconvenient Bride: This was a story where the original husband for the mail order bride passed away before she could arrive there. Carmela is Italian and I liked hearing a little bit about Italy from her point of view. Not much to say about this one, but the characters had chemistry.

The Price of Silver: This was a sweet one to wrap up the collection, but it went a bit too fast for me. Of them all, this was the one I felt the instalove most present in. It was short and sweet though. 


I loved this collection and if I have less to say about a short story, doesn't mean it was worse! I will definitely be looking into works by all these authors so I can try their independent books as well. 

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia's Question: Do you have a penpal?

Olivia-Savannah x

22 comments:

  1. [ Smiles ] You can't go wrong with romance.

    And, thank you for another one of your great book reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pretty much can't! Romances are a classic.

      Delete
  2. I've always avoided stories about mail order brides, because the idea of it made me feel a little bit uncomfortable. I don't know, it just reminded me of those old guys who pay for Asian girls to be their wives and then treat them badly D: But hey, these actually sound quite cute! I may have to give them a try then :) Thank you!!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I didn't really know much about the concept until I started in with reading. But these were pretty tame and all good matches! Most times they were becoming mail order brides to avoid people who were treating them badly.

      Delete
  3. This is a really interesting concept. I like how the different authors contributed their take on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each one did something different and I could really admire the variety! :)

      Delete
  4. Fab review Liv! :)

    Also, just the idea of sending for a mail-order bride & then she's someone you hated from childhood? The randomness of that is just fab! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a funny situation! One of my favourites :D

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed the collection. The story where the bride turns out to be a childhood enemy is one I'd like to read. Love a good enemies to lovers story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be able to enjoy this one :3

      Delete
  6. I liked Wanted: Midwife Bride a lot too. The heroine was great and I just wanted her to trust herself more, and I was so happy when she found someone to help her with that. My other favourite was An Inconvenient Bride because it was funny to see how their relationship changed and how it shows that it takes more than "instant-love" to make a marriage/relationship work. But I do not remember much from the rest of them - which is why I didn't give the book too many stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the two that really stood out to me were the ones that stood out to you too :) A shame the others weren't quite as memorable for you though.

      Delete
  7. Hi - I also enjoy reading stories of mail order brides. I can't imagine that in reality many were very happy, but hey, that's why there's fiction. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I think the concept itself works a lot better as fiction more than anything else.

      Delete
  8. I love anthologies and HF, so these are my type of reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this! Just what you need at the moment <3

      Delete
  9. Who doesn't love mail order brides! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a first for me but I doubt it is going to be a last!

      Delete
  10. I'm not a short story fan but the mail order bride concept sure sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I wasn't for a long time as well, so I do understand :P

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear you enjoyed this collection. I don't know much about mail order brides, so I am curious about the stories. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either until I started reading! So happy this one was a great read.

      Delete