Saturday, 9 April 2016

My Hoarding Catastrophe ~ Book Buying Ban SUCCESS!

Hey Guys! Happy weekend!

My Hoarding Catastrophe is my version of a monthly book haul here on Olivia's Catastrophe. 



You may be wondering where my post for Thursday went. It doesn't exist. Lately, I've been feeling a little of the blogging pressure and I didn't feel like posting that day. So I reminded myself I didn't have to by not doing it! Then I started to freak out on Friday, something along the lines of. 
Me: What if my readers didn't notice the missing post? What if no one actually cares. D:
Me: But what if they DID and they think I won't post anymore?
Me: I'm such a bad blogger...
Me...
Me: Yep, never trying this tactic again. 

Aaaaand onto the books now!

Physical books: As the title of this post suggests, my book buying ban was a SUCCESS! I didn't buy a single book for the whole month. I'm so proud. This proves that if I do want to kick this obsession of hoarding and buying, I can. I got five lovely books, mostly for review. 


Constructed of Magic - Alan Swartz
A Song to Tear The World Apart - Zan Romanoff
Motions and Moments - Michael Pronko (Giveaway win @ Doodles, Doodles Everywhere)
Briar Rose - Jana Oliver
The Boy in the Top Knot - Sathnam Sanghera

Freebies! I only allowed myself two because they looked too good to pass up. 


Batter Up - Robyn Neeley 
The Crown and the Arrow - Renee Adieh 

Review Copies: My next aim in this book buying ban is to resist the one click request and request fewer reviewer copies. Because I honestly can't help myself when it comes to doing this, because all these books sound so good all the time!







The Book of Esther - Emily Barton 
Please Hold - Tricia Stewart Shiu 
Love Blind - C. Desire & Jolene Perry 
The View From Cheap Seats - Neil Gaiman 
Strike - Delilah S. Dawson
Three Truths and a Lie - Brent Hartinger
A Night In With Marilyn Monroe - Lucy Holliday
A Hundred Thousand Worlds - Bob Proehl 
Fates and Traitors - Jennifer Chiaverini
A Hundred Hours of Night - Anna Woltz
Black Widow - Christopher Brookmyre
All in Pieces - Suzanne Young
The After Party - Anton DiSclafani
irreversible - Chris Lynch
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy - Multiple People (xD)
The Flipside - Shaun Johnson
Every Hidden Thing - Kenneth Oppel

Olivia's Question: What books have you recently bought/acquired?

Olivia-Savannah x


36 comments:

  1. ha, glad it's going well - your bank balance will thank you! (Mine's usually pretty angry with me.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The amount of money I have been saving lately makes me SO happy :D

      Delete
  2. LIIVVV! :) Hey love! NEVER feel bad about needing a break! I took a break thinking it was going to be for a week and it ended up stretching to 2 whole friggin' months! So just remember that when you need another break! :) I love ALL OF YOUR BOOKS, especially the one with the cupcake on it....Now I want cupcakes! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back from your break <3 I do think it's okay to take breaks but hopefully I can give some more warning first. Oh, and cupcakes are ALWAYS good <3

      Delete
  3. CRAP. New Neil Gaiman book?? WHERE HAVE I BEEN?

    And always take a break when you need it! I've gone a few Mondays without posting and I always have the panic of "oh god, what if I let someone down?" but who the hell am I letting down? 98% sure that no one will notice if you miss a day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're gonna need this Neil Gaiman one, girl! That's true. I should go a little easier on myself ahaha ;)

      Delete
  4. I can easily go on a book buying ban for physical books, but for ebooks, definitely not lol. I've tried before, and have failed miserably because that one-click feature on amazon is just too irresistible! Congrats on successfully completing your ban though, doesn't it feel good to finally purchase some books?! GIRL, I am sooo freaking ready to read Every Hidden Thing and All In Pieces. I first heard about them on twitter, and I'm glad I came across your post because I forgot to add them to my TBR on Goodreads. I'll be stalking your blog for your review on both titles, let us hope they're good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to realise it's the case for me too. I STILL haven't bought a new book myself, but ebooks I keep clicking for. Aargh, how to stop this? Every Hidden Thing looks so good and it's by an author whose books I have loved since a child as well, which makes me so happy. Happy to be a reminder as well. Fingers crossed for them both :3

      Delete
  5. You have will power Olivia. I did it last year, from October to December, and it was very hard. I'm trying not to buy any now, but with so many sales and new releases that I've been waiting on, it's hard. You got some great ones this month. All In Pieces and The Flip Side look like 2 that I need to read. Hope you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The willpower is coming through but I wish it would bleed into my ebook stack as well. I'm looking forward to trying them all ^.^

      Delete
  6. [ Smiles ] You can still do book reviews of free books that are available in the ebook format.

    There is no getting away for you, Olivia.

    You might not be spending any more money on new books; but there are tons of free ebooks online.

    Therefore, I am expecting to see book reviews from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe I know! It seems I am set up to be addicted any way I turn. But at least I am saving money this way too ;)

      Delete
  7. Nice grabs! I never really ban myself on buying books but I definitely have times where I cut back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all need those cutting back times every now and again.

      Delete
  8. Yaay congratulations! :D I'm doing something similar, I've started to request less books for review and try to read the books I own that I've been wanting to read for ages! It's going pretty well so far :3

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do well with your challenge at reading more of what you own as well!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on completing your book buying ban successfully! I also put myself on a book buying ban in March and I didn't buy a single book! So we are both successful :D But I did splurge and go all out on April 1st hahaha. *hides behind a tree*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for us both managing to haul it through! I haven't bought a book yet ad am contemplating continuing this for another month, hehehe :3

      Delete
  10. Great grabs. Batter Up looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to avoid getting more freebies but this one looked too good to pass up!

      Delete
  11. batter up seems like a great pick. Happy reading and have a good upcoming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! I am really looking forward to trying it out :D

      Delete
  12. Don't worry about blogging pressure, just post when you feel like it. I will always be here to read.

    As for the books, I am so excited for Neil Gaiman's book and can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will start relaxing a bit more and ease the pressure on myself! There are a lot of Gaiman lovers around :)

      Delete
  13. I've started doing better with requesting the review books, but seem to be buying more lately. :-) I need to work on that! And don't let the blogging pressure get to you. That's another thing I'm trying to work on myself. Have a great week!
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like when you get control of one, the other just seems to start spiraling out of control. Hopefully we can both get there <3

      Delete
  14. Well done on sticking to your ban! I could never do as well as you but you've really inspired me to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! It can be difficult at first but then it is just relieving. :)

      Delete
  15. Hi, Olivia - I've been out of the blogging atmosphere for a while too. I traveled to be with my daughter who has been pretty sick. She's better now ... so my blogging will continue. Black Widow by Christopher Brookmyre looks pretty interesting. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear she is better now and that you are back! Looking forward to seeing your blog posts pop back up again.

      Delete
  16. Book hoarding guilty here too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't bought any books per say but I did download a few free fantasy books on to my Kindle app. I'm a book hoarder too but I'be never banned myself from buying them. Just haven't bought anything or been to a bookstore lately. And you don't want me in a bookstore. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just know how to stem the flow from time to time! I can just imagine you let lose in one :D

      Delete
  18. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who stresses about these things - I have such a hard time skipping my "standard" things.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know what you mean! Once you set those standard posts, you feel as if they are the bare minimum you HAVE to do.

      Delete