Saturday, 11 June 2016

The Reluctant Sacrifice [Book Review]

Hello there!

Title: The Reluctant Sacrifice (The Aramithians #1)
Author: Kerr-Ann Dempster
Publisher: Ink City Books
Published Date: 7th August 2015
Rating: 3 stars

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Centuries ago, sibling rivalry tore Aramith apart. As punishment, the losers were stripped of their immortal birthright and banished to Earth. There, they wasted away from old age and diseases. However, there is hope… 


If a Shaw child, born on the 12th day of the 12th month offers her soul in a public sacrifice, then the exiles will be forgiven and welcomed home to Aramith. 

Aubrey Shaw is that child, but dying for the exiles is not on her to-do list. Using her gift as a Jumper, Aubrey leaps between bodies to escape relentless shape-shifting hunters. Only, shedding her skin is not enough. Not when Joshua, her best-friend-turned-hunter, is hell-bent on dragging her to the altar. 

Will Aubrey’s love for Joshua change his mind? 

Or, will she have to trust the scarred stranger who shows up out of the blue cloaked in lies and secrets? Doing so means giving up on Joshua. But betting on Joshua's love could do more than break her heart. 

It could kill her. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Review: I have quite a lot of mixed feelings when it comes to The Reluctant Sacrifice, so I'll try and discuss them as best I can. I'm going to break the book into stages - talking about the beginning, middle, end, and then lastly, the romance. 

So. The beginning. It took me quite a while to get into this book, and that was mostly because I wasn't really feeling it in the beginning. I liked the main character and the story itself wasn't too bad. It was a bit jumpy and because we were suddenly thrown into this world and the main character had abilities that I couldn't get my grips on, it left me a bit frazzled. And then we slowly started to understand the fantasy/paranormal kind of elements to the story. They were never fully explained, in my opinion, and they didn't entirely convince me. I know fantasy/paranormal can never really be realistic, but it was a little too far-fetched for me? It was beyond what I could really imagine and ground myself in. 



But then the middle happened, and the book quickly picked up for me! I was easily able to really like Aubrey again. She started to show that even though she wanted to be confident and not let life get to her, she was still scared. She still had moments of panic. And I found that to be incredibly realistic. I was able to connect with her through that, and I admired her resilience despite being worried nonetheless. 

In the middle we also get a lot of internal conflict. We start to see the grey area between the people who are supposed to be labelled as good, and as bad. Aubrey starts thinking - if she was in their position, would she do the same thing? We learn more and more about their motives and then we get to see them as true people as well. I started to question who was bad and who was good. I loved the moral dilemma and the way Aubrey was carefully thinking about this. It invested me in the plot and I wanted to know the outcome of things. 



That sort of ties into the romance story. There is a bit of a love triangle here, but then at the same time there isn't one. Josh was who Aubrey really loved since childhood, but now he wants her dead. Sort of a turn off, right? So she is trying to move on, but she can't help the way she feels sometimes. And all the time Coy is there, being patient. But she doesn't know if she can trust him yet. And that created quite a few issues! I liked that romance toss up.



But at the same time, there was the part I didn't like which kind of involved Aubrey doing things because she just "wanted to forget her problems for a while." Yes, we all have our weak moments, but that just seemed a little cliche? I have seen countless girls do the same throughout YA and it's really annoying to have it keep jumping up. >.> So yeah, when I was reading that bit... I was a little annoyed that throughout my favourite section of the book this was included.



And last but not least, the ending. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it, although it has been a while since I have finished the book. It tied up well, I guess, but it made me question if I was really satisfied with the way things worked out? I'm not sure. It was a little sudden with thrown in elements you won't be able to predict, but I'm not sure I entirely understand myself. Hm... I think if you read the book, you'll have to make up your own mind on this one!

Overall a pretty decent read, but it left something to be desired in some areas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gif Summary:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Video: 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia's Question: What do you find hard to let go of?

Olivia-Savannah x

38 comments:

  1. Great reading your review and views of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read them <3

      Delete
  2. Sounds kind of like a take it or leave it type of book. Wish you had have enjoyed it more. I know we all love to fall in a great book and just lose ourselves within it.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. But it was an okay read and I still managed to enjoy it well enough.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you were a little torn by this one - but it made you think! And that, in itself, should work in its favour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty torn but I hope this review did my thoughts justice! But yes, it did get me thinking at one point.

      Delete
  4. It sounds interesting on one hand, but on the other, kinda too farfetched maybe? Strange, I don't usually find things too farfetched, lol... For example, I find the Hunger Games stories entirely plausible ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a strange experience for me. I don't usually find paranormal kind of reads far-fetched but for whatever reason, that's the vibe I was getting here...

      Delete
  5. It sucks when a book leaves you feeling one way or another. I struggle with those kind of reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, these reviews are never easy to write. I hope I did okay :c

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this book. I got this book in a subscription box and I thought it sounded interesting enough. I'm not a big fan of the whole paranormal fantasy genre but I do love fantasy. I don't do well with books that leave you with mixed feelings but I'm now even more interested in reading this book. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see it come through your subscription box! I hope you will like it and I think you will be able to. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as well. :D

      Delete
  7. I remember really liking this, but can't recall everything that happened. I think I gave it 4 stars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it ^.^

      Delete
  8. It's always nice to see reviews for books I normally wouldn't pick up myself. I'm kind of a snob when it comes to reading Kindle books or self-published work, so I appreciate a nice, unbiased review, lol.

    While it seems like there were some technical issues with the story, the plot itself seems engaging. And the fact that the MC actually has agency and isn't just doing things as a result of others' decisions is a nice touch. I'm so tired of seeing female MCs struggle to think for themselves. -_-

    Great review!

    Brittany @ Space Between the Spines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully reading reviews of ebooks and self-published works might be able to convince you to give some of them a try! The main character had real feelings and was very independent. You had to like that about her!

      Delete
  9. Hmm, when things are too far-fetched it's not as fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That's usually a turn off for me.

      Delete
  10. If it takes that long to get into the book, my guess is I wouldn't like it. It would just aggravate me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow beginnings usually bother me a lot too but this one wasn;t too bad!

      Delete
  11. Hmm, these days I probably would have given up on the book if it is as hard to get into as you say here. There are just too many books out there that I want to read! Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Sometimes it can feel like it's not worth it, but this one still seemed to hold some promise.

      Delete
  12. I like the cover of this one but I'm just not sure about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe reading some more reviews to think about it could help.

      Delete
  13. Too bad you didn't enjoy this that much. The plot sounds really interesting, and the love triangle seems to be very different from the usual kind of triangle... which I usually can't stand, to be honest, but this one sounds kinda cool, with the other guy wanting her dead and all haha
    Oh and I love those planner stickers!!! Although I'm really lame when it comes to those things, I just keep them and never want to use them because I feel like I'm wasting them :P

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the stakes of the love triangle have been amped up a bit more than usual. That's why I usually go for a simple layout in my planner, but these ones are indeed gorgeous <3

      Delete
  14. I shouldn't have bothered with the review. The gif said it all. :D
    Kidding. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I do love a good straightforward gif sometimes for those in a rush ^.^

      Delete
  15. As usual, I LURVE your photos! <3 Each time I see them, I see you getting better and better so keep up the good work, chia! <3 YOU DA BOMB! As far as the story, I had no idea what the heck I was looking at when I first saw the cover but then I DID lookout it and it looks EPICAL. I like how the one chick is in the middle of the smoke and stuff. :) And yeah, this book sounds like it was riddled with cliches. :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Keionda you're too nice to me! I'm glad you're liking them because I'm trying my best to be more creative and improve them all the time! And yes, the cover drew me in a lot in the beginning :3

      Delete
  16. Like all the photos you shared and thanks for the honest review of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find that it definitely helps, if I'm struggling to get my thoughts in order, to do things in a list or to segment things into different parts, like you've done here. It helps clarify my thoughts when writing out a regular-style review wouldn't have been able to do that.

    I'm sorry this was a bit of an iffy read for you, especially since it had started getting better. That's always a shame, especially if it's been a rocky start and then things level out and you get comfortable with the plot/characters, only to have it move in a direction you're not happy with. I think romance, and love triangles specifically, are really tricky, since they can just take over the plot and that can be too much, when the focus could be shifted onto other things. I know that when it's done in a way I enjoy, there's a distinct plot arc and the romance subplot as well, and one doesn't entirely take over/away from the other.

    I hope your next read is one you love all the way through! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I was trying to think of ways to write this review effectively to translate my thoughts and the only way I could do it was by focusing on parts. I liked the middle a lot and it renewed my hopes in the novel but it just didn't quite manage to follow through like I would have wanted it to.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad the book eventually picked up for you, and I think I might check out this book because I love internal conflict in books!! Great review.

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be able to enjoy the internal conflict here! It was the highlight of the book for me. :D

      Delete
  19. Great review. Glad you warmed up to the book. Still, I think I will have issues reading this if the characters do anything to forget thier problems. Maybe we should have YA to help face problems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YA is a genre I definitely think helps teenagers with facing problems. But it made me a bit down to see that being handled in such a way.

      Delete