Tuesday, 6 September 2016

Monthly Wrap Up ~ August 2016


Hi guys! 

It's time for my monthly wrap up here on Olivia's Catastrophe. Apologies for this being a week late!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


August has been a jam packed month for me. In the beginning of August I was in England with my oldest sister who lives there. She has been working for the past year which means she doesn't get as many holidays to visit us. It was nice spending time with her there, and seeing my family. I also did quite a bit of shopping and practically spent all my money (whoops)


I came back hope for the space of a day before my family and I went on a trip to Germany! We went to the Rhine Valley and it was really beautiful and peaceful there. We did things like visit cathedrals in Cologne, go to a salt grotto for a relaxation session and went on a hike trail. It was really nice to have all my two older sisters on holiday with us once again, seeing as they no longer live at home. 





I've been putting extra effort into doing a workout or yoga every day. I started an instagram page called yogidragoness where I'm tracking my yoga progress and clean eating. Yes, I've decided to go on a lifestyle change and hopefully can maintain clean eating for a while to come. I'll be having some posts up about clean eating and yoga every now and again, when I get organised. 

I had some more wisdom teeth out, so now all four are gone... It was a bit worse this time round than before but it was still pretty good. Maybe it took a little longer to heal because I decided to skip the whole soup and yogurt thing, eating solids for dinner after having them out >.> (My sister made homemade chicken pie. NO WAY was I missing out on that meal).


I went on a day trip to Amsterdam with my friends, and that was really nice. Especially as I have been doing summer homework, so it meant time having an adventure and going outside of the house for a bit. There was also a beach trip to a manmade beach in the Netherlands with my family. I loved relaxing there.

And lastly, holiday bible camp happened at my church. It's always nice to volunteer and help in that program. It's mornings for five consecutive days and then the following Sunday as well. I was in charge of running the games and the drama skit (as well as being part of it). It's probably the last year I get to do it because if I do pass my exams this year, I'm hoping to go back home to England to study. 


If you want to follow my lifestyle adventures more closely, just add me on snapchat. My username is ocatastrophe :)


I read nine books in August! I guess I had time to up my usual six a little because it was holidays. I also read more physical books than ebooks, which is always my aim :D So I'm very satisfied with this month.




Smash & Grab by Amy Christine Parker is one I have a review coming of tomorrow, so I won't say much else than it was very enjoyable and a quick, light-hearted read. I also read 

The Help by Kathryn Stockett and that book affected me something fierce. I was reading until late at night in my room in Germany, and reading whenever I could. The voices were so strong and real, and the story was so meaningful. Brilliant. 

The Black Unicorn by Audre Lorde was a poetry collection recommended by my sister. I loved it. The culture was rich within her words, as well as the themes of feminism and independence. Amazing use of techniques and beautiful language.

The Summer That Melted Everything by Tiffany McDaniel was AHMAZING. I have my review of that one first thing in October, which is still quite a wait. But meanwhile, just go and buy it. It was that good. I was up till 2am because of that one. 

You can see my reviews for Tesserae by Mathias B. Freese, The House of Kane by Barbara Casey, Captivate Me and Fight for Me by S.J. Pierce and There Once Were Stars by Melanie McFarlane.




My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry - Frederik Backman 
Fireworks - Angela Carter 
The Dragon of the Month Club - Iain Reading 
My Sweet Vidalia - Deborah Mantella




Popsugar 2016 Challenge:29/40
2016 #BustleReads Challenge: 11/20

Olivia's Question: How was August for you? What did you get up to? What did you read, and what do you plan to read in September?

Olivia-Savannah x

14 comments:

  1. You can do the splits?! Witchcraft!

    Also, not entirely sure I needed to see the pics of your teeth... but... cool? I guess? Maybe? Idek! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's actually not me in that photo! That's my oldest sister and my inspiration <3

      Delete
  2. Awesome pictures! It looks like you had a really good month. (Aside from getting your teeth removed.) :)

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind that too much, so it was a good month overall!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, you've been doing so much traveling lately! It looks like so much fun! Maybe fall will be even better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love it and I was very blessed this summer <3 But now it's really time to crack on with school and save all my money!

      Delete
  4. You and your fam do so much traveling, I'm jealous! And oh boy, your wisdom teeth? I still have mine, I know I should probably get rid of them, but they're impacted so they haven't bothered me yet. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to optimise the summer time as it's the only time we get. I actually secretly like them, in a creepy kind of way >.>

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had loads of fun last month! Not much happened for me aside from tiredness everyday after work. I really didn't feel like posting much of anything. I think I have four October ARCs that I'll be getting out of the way this month. Other than that, I'll just read whatever I feel like. My moods are really all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good month! I'm sorry that work has been so tiring, but at least you can relax a little when you get home I hope. Enjoy those books and stick to that mood reading. It will probably cheer you up most that way.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you have been having a fab busy time!! I got all my wisdom teeth out in one go, could only eat scrambled eggs for days after, it was so sore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a busy but good time! Aww sorry that it was so bad! Some people do have it a lot worse than others :/

      Delete
  7. Love all your photos! Sorry about the wisdom teeth. When I had mine out, I felt awful. And good luck with those challenges :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'm working on them and making a bit more progress this month ;)

      Delete