Sunday, 1 January 2017

A New Year, A New Leaf

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to 2017 being a lot better than 2016 was... and you know my reasons for saying so. 

But we shouldn't be starting the new year on a negative comment. Let's all look to the future with a fresh hope in our eyes. And that includes things for this blog as well! Last year I didn't make any resolutions. I'm someone who firmly believes that you can make a resolution at any time and then go for it. Who needs to wait for the new year? Not me! But I do have some resolutions and goals for this year, even if a few of them are to continue goals I started in the middle of the year. I've got six for you:

1. Be consistent with blogging, booktube and bookstagram.


I like to throw myself into the things I love. Blogging and anything to do with books is definitely included it that. I don't know what possessed me to decide that a blog was enough and I want to do all three, but it happened. I love each for different reasons, and I started to slack in all of them excepting bookstagram last year. Towards the end of the year I had months where I only posted here three times, and skipped a months of posting videos...

That's gonna change. My goal is to be posting on my blog regularly. Ideally once every two days, but I already know it's gonna be touch and go when it comes to my exam period. I just want to stick to the motto that prescheduling for my blog, is my best friend. 

In December I also discovered that you could preschedule youtube videos. I never knew that was an actual THING. So hopefully I'll be able to keep up posting a new video every week. 

And bookstagram? Keep doing what I'm doing. Hopefully there will be at the very least, four posts a week :D

2. Bball for Life.



I love basketball. It's a way of escaping my anger, keeping me focused and being part of a team. I know I'm supposed to graduate this year and go to university. My aim is to practice in the summer and try and make the team in uni. Whatever happens, I just aim to keep my love of basketball and give it my all like I do already :)


3. Yoga & Clean Eating.


You probably already know about my lifestyle haul that happened in the summer of 2016. The best thing about clean eating is that it is not dieting. It's just making healthier choices, enjoying it, and indulging once in a while in a balanced manner. I'm not doing it to lose weight, but just to be healthier. I hope to keep it up in 2017.

I also have been doing yoga on the days when I don't have training, or doing my own independent workouts at home. I've been getting stronger and it's something I'm really doing for myself. Again, something I don't want to have end this year. 

4. Read all my physical books. 


I know. I own more than 200 unread physical books. I usually read 100 books a year, plus a couple. So no, this is not a realistic goal. I'm still gonna try though. And the best thing about setting this goal is that I'm going to be feeling more guilty if I buy/attain books, so hopefully NO is going to become a bigger part of my vocabulary. Especially when in a bookstore. So let's see how it goes?

5. Graduate. 


I'm ending my IB diploma, which some people call the end of high school, some people call A levels. It's an international program, it is very hard and consumes life - pretty much. There are countless memes about it online and if you're curious, look into it all includes. My exams start in April/May. I'm just praying I survive, and pass with the required grades to meet the conditional offers I have been given for universities. 

This semi-includes my goal of actually going to university. Which means moving back to England D: But one step at a time... 

6. Make more time for God. 


I don't talk about my faith on here often, but I am a Christian first and foremost in my life. In the beginning and middle of 2016, I was very strong and secure in everything I was doing for the Christian side of my life. Not that I believed any less toward the end of the year. But life and material things started clouding up my view. I'm hoping to get rid of that so I can make more time for God, and seeing what he wants me to do and where he wants me to go. 

So, those are all of my goals! Hopefully by sharing them with others, it will encourage me to stick to them all the more. 

Olivia's Question: Do you have any New Years Resolutions?


Olivia-Savannah x

33 comments:

  1. All such great goals!! I really hope you're able to achieve all of them! Making room in life for the things you're most passionate about is truly important and it's something I hope to do as well. I wish you all the best for 2017! Funnily enough, that last goal of yours is something I've been striving for as well and hope to continue doing through 2017 and onward :D Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anissa, and happy new year to you too! I hope you can ace your own personal goals as well :3

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you can reach all your goals, Olivia! I have no major resolutions myself, I just want to read more physical books and request less on NetGalley and Edelweiss. Let's see how long I can keep this up. 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can! I hope you can read more physical books as well ^.^

      Delete
  3. Awesome goals! Wishing you all the best with these goals and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nas. Happy new year to you too <3

      Delete
  4. I love the joke about IB, it's so true! Good luck with your resolutions, Im looking forwards to writing mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get some clever resolutions :3 It's so accurate, right?

      Delete
  5. You can do this!! I'm thinking that my new year's resolutions will be all about health and I've really started to get into yoga so I'm looking forward to any health and yoga posts you'll share in the new year! I hope you have a wonderful 2017, Olivia :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yay! There will be plenty of those around... and I'm hoping your own health journey will be brilliant and fun ;)

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, saying NO in a bookshop? I think there's laws against that, or there should be ;-)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be the hardest struggle, that's for sure :P

      Delete
  7. Hi - fell over your blog following your 2/5 rating on Amazon for Ender's Game.....
    Don't worry about films NOT following your own 'mind's eye' of a novel - the older you get the more that just seems to happen - watch/read one version and ignore the other. If we were to try and get all of a novel into a film then I, for one, would not sit through 300 hours of anything by Tolstoy.

    IB? Hell, 40 years ago I was in the same boat doing 'stuff' I could not see the point of as 'adults' told me it was 'for the best'. I managed to bum through without any University but - these days? Get the IB done, move on and look for something you are really, really interested in for further study - it matters not what that is, just that (1) you like it and (2) there's a certificate attached to it.

    Blog with a video? Well if a 110 minute movie cannot do justice to the novel of Ender's Game then what good would a 5 minute video do?

    Write. Write well. Good prose will go on forever - good video just gets lost in the white noise that is 'the internet'.

    Finally. Book guilt? Not a problem. You can never, ever, own too many books (even on a Kindle). Some you revisit. Some you don't. (When you move house leave those ones for the new owners/tenants).

    Finally? Time for a cliché. Life is not a rehearsal. OK two clichés. Nobody gets out alive. Have a listen to Sunscreen

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say..... ignore the video on the youTube link as it is fluff - just listen to the lyrics....

      Delete
    2. Hmm... I've had the hardest time trying to decipher this comment as positive or negative but I'll just take it as it is :D

      I find it hard to separate the book from the movie - perhaps because it's one of my favourite books of all time? I understand it can't possibly include every little detail in it - I wouldn't want to be watching those Tolstoy movies either, in that case - but I did expect it to do more justice...

      I really hope to be studying English literature and creative writing at university this year. Which ties in with my writing goals. Just gotta conquer IB first! One step at a time ;) Thank you for the encouragment ^^

      Hehehe, that's true about books. Always there, and always worthwhile :D

      I will do!

      Delete
  8. Aww great goals!! I am sure you can and will achieve them all! Definitely try to play basketball, I know swimming saved my sanity a million times over in college. And you are SO driven, it is really quite impressive! And I hope for a better 2017 for you too- and for us all! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sport is such a great stress reliever, and really good on the mental mind! Loved reading your resolutions as well :3

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year, Olivia! I love your positive outlook and your forward perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those are awesome resolutions!! I wish you the best of luck achieving them :) You can do this!
    I look forward to your posts, and I think it's awesome you play basketball. Keep at it, that's so good :) Also, I totally can relate when it comes to clean eating and making time for God. I'm definitely with you on that cos I need to apply those to my life too!
    Great positive outlook :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I hope I can :D And that you can ace yours as well ^.^

      Delete
  11. Good luck with your goals, Olivia! I'm so impressed that you can blog and do booktubing, and still go to school. I hope exams go well for you:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! It's much easier to balance things I love when they are important to me :-)

      Delete
  12. Excellent goals. I like basketball too but only to watch it and not to play it. I am more of a racquet-sport person -- tennis, competitive badminton and table tennis. Playing sports does help one focus and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon :) I am glad you approve of them! I hope your racket-based sports go well this year ^^

      Delete
  13. Good luck with your goals! And don't feel too bad if you have to let a few slide - it's the working towards them that counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think even journeying to them will be an improvement on myself, as you said ^.^

      Delete
  14. I am with you on the blogging one, only I am not trying to be consistent... just less of a perfectionist and I want to stay away from the "does anyone wanna read this" mentality that I have when it comes to blogging... I am just blogging as a form of documenting my life (well, my readings mostly)!

    Your healthy eating and yoga posts inspire me so much so I hope you will continue with that as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to come past it and get back into it. I really miss reading your blog <3

      Aww, thanks Andreea!

      Delete
  15. I am a librarian at a school that offers the IB program! So I am well aware of what you deal with for that program. :-) Good luck with your goals. It is hard to keep up. I know that I say once in awhile I'll do better with bookstagram, but I just don't have the time. I have done well with blogging, although getting my reviews done has fallen behind the past year for me. I also need to get back to walking again. I need the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must know it well! I hope I can stick to them a lot. It is hard to be on all of the social medias, which is why you have to find your favourites and really stick to those ones in particular.

      Delete
  16. Best of luck with the IB program. I think it is way harder than high school over here! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each program has its own difficulties!

      Delete