Sunday, 22 January 2017

Blood Red, Snow White [Book Review]

Hello there!

Title: Blood Red, Snow White
Author: Marcus Sedgwick
Publisher: Orion Children’s Books
Published Date: 1st July 2007
Rating: 3 Stars

*Thanks to the publisher for the review copy*


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis: Russia wakes from a long sleep and marches to St Petersburg to claim her birthright. Her awakening will mark the end for the Romanovs, and the dawn of a new era that changed the world. Arthur Ransome, a journalist and writer, was part of it all. He left his family in England and fell in love with Russia and a Russian woman. This is his story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: I was highly anticipating Blood Red, Snow White because it was going to be the first Sedgwick novel that I’d ever read. He is an author I am constantly hearing about, so I was very excited to read this book. And although I did enjoy it, I didn’t love it as much as I truly wanted to.

This novel is told in a fairytale writing style. In the beginning, I was in awe of it. I thought it added a sense of magic to the entire story, and it worked well with the symbolism that was in place for the Russian Revolution. But as the whole novel continued on, this writing style seemed a little annoying, and the too short chapters became frustrating. I just wanted it to be written a normal writing style and get on with the story. And sure enough, the further into the novel I got, the more the writing style seemed to fade away, almost as if the author was done with that illusion too.


The plot was decently good. It was grounded in the history of the Russian revolution, and then in the world war that followed it. Arthur is a journalist who gets caught up in the political and violent Russia which he has fallen in love with. We get to see a lot of horrors unveiling, but the author keeps us slightly distant from them as he is keeping this a friendly novel than one full of graphics to scare away young readers. I liked the plot well enough.


The characters were decent. We have Arthur, our passionate and slightly clueless main character. He has a child and a wife who he has left behind in England, and then he falls in love with Eva in Russia. Of course, romance in Russia is hard because there are sides, and Eva and him are on different ones. Also, Arthur does love his daughter, although he doesn’t love Ivy anymore. He struggles between the family man and wanting to be with the one he really loves. Although there wasn’t a character I disliked, I didn’t really feel that invested in any of the other characters either.


When it comes down to this novel, I did like it, but I didn’t have a sense of depth when reading this novel. I didn’t care about it enough to love it particularly well. I fell in love with the cover, but that’s as far as my emotions go for the novel itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gif Summary:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: What’s your favourite fairytale?

Olivia-Savannah x


20 comments:

  1. Aww, sorry about this one. I have this on my to-read shelf on GR (I think). I was drawn to the cover, as well. I like fast reads, but your review makes me think that this story deserved more depth. BTW, my favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover had me convinced, but I think it just needed to capture my emotions a little bit more. You must be excited for the live action movie then!

      Delete
  2. This book does have a beautiful cover. I am glad that you liked it even if you didn't quite love it. I do love a book with a fairy tale setting so I may check this one out at some point in the future. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still a pretty good read. Maybe this is one for you :)

      Delete
  3. There are books like that. It's likable but it can't bring you to a place where you can get totally lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - it's kind of the in-between state.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! Have a great new day.

    Bloglovin
    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of this one. Great review. I think I'll pass on reading it as there are so many other more current books that I'm eyeing.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand. But thank you for stopping by and reading :3

      Delete
  6. It's a hard one, but I like Cinderella. =) Although, Beauty and the Beast comes a very close second. Oh who am I kidding, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling <3 It's too hard to decide a favourite!

      Delete
  7. I love the look of this book (THE COVER IS GORGEOUS), and fairy tales are my bae, so I'm hoping to read it soon :)
    Great review! Sorry you didn't love it though :(

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to love it though! It sounds right up your street ;)

      Delete
  8. Ooo, that cover is so pretty! I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as you hoped though. This is the first time I'm seeing this book and I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. The cover is indeed gorgeous :3

      Delete
  9. A pity you didn't enjoy it as much as you wanted to :/

    I have to admit that I love this one - not least because it's based on real people.

    Plus, the moral ambiguity of seeing both sides was awesome. I find the Russian Revolution fascinating (although it was undoubtedly full of atrocities - which should not be forgotten,) because it's so tied in with events before and after it. It's one of those moments in history that shines like a firecracker - important because of it's causes, and the things it's caused.

    Plus, the fact that the guy who wrote Swallows and Amazons was a spy in contact with Lenin and Trotsky is worthy of any number of novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you were able to really love this one though! It was really cool to know it was inspired by a true story and that an author was also a spy. The Russian Revolution is very interesting, and we have studied it on my course as well. It really is an important event for world history!

      Delete
  10. Too bad this was just okay book. It sounds like it had promise with the writing style...
    I love fairy tales and it's hard to chose my favorite, but I guess it's Jack and the Bean Stalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a lot of promise, but it was still an okay read. That's a nice story... especially the characters in it too :D

      Delete