Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Hermoine is my Archenemy, and Other Reasons I Don't Like Harry Potter

The world of Harry Potter... a difficult one to fall into. 

I don't know what it is with me, but I just can't fall in love with the books or movies the way I want to. I've read the first three, watched the first two movies. I cannot tell you how many times I had to watch the second movie because I kept on falling asleep throughout it. And when it comes to the books, I have to confess: sometimes I even enjoy the fact that I dislike them. archenemy arch enemy 

I'm always predicting the endings to the plot lines. I despise characters everyone seems to like (yes you, Hermoine) and when everyone is fangirling, I simply sit there and try to remember the characters names so I can feel involved.


BUT. As much as I don't like the stories themselves, I do absolutely adore the world. The magic, the wands, Hogwarts... I can't help but think it would be such a wonderful place to live. It seems like there would be endless places to go, things to see, spells to try. So much trouble to get up to, so much fun to have. As much as I am not a fangirl, I also really do like the merchandise. Like this necklace. It's gorgeous, and I really like the Deathly Hallows symbol. Even though I have no idea what it's about, as I haven't read that far (if I ever will.)

I also really like the idea of the houses. I took the test about a year ago, under the pressure of a very Harry Potter obsessed best friend of mine. I ended up a Ravenclaw, but I wasn't surprised. Many fans have told me that I was one before the test. And I sort of like the idea of that too. Because as far as I remember, any mentions of students from Ravenclaw so far have included them carrying books, studying, or generally being productive. Mostly I like the bookish part.


All in all, I want to say kudos to J.K. Rowling. Maybe I don't like your books - and that's no offense to her. I'm sure she doesn't even care, when she has millions of people who do love them. But she has managed to create this world, change so many people's worlds and really have an affect on them with her stories. As someone who likes to write and is aspiring to be an author herself, it's pretty much the dream any author could wish for. So, J.K. Rowling, I'm just letting you know you're goals :D


If you want this necklace or some other cool fandom-y stuff, make sure to check out Inspire Fandom.

Olivia's Question: Which house were you sorted into?

Olivia-Savannah x

32 comments:

  1. I love the world of Harry Potter and the books are great, I've really enjoyed them so far (Only gotta read Deathly Hallows) but I'm more of a fan of J.K. Rowlings work as Robert Galbraith. I just think those books are so much better. I feel like a Potterhead dies every time I say that. LOL

    I'm Ravenclaw too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can finish the series soon, and I am glad you really like her mystery books as well. Hehehe, I'm sure one does :3

      Fellow Ravenclaw <3

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved the books, I've read them all 4 times and I'm sure going to read them again this year but I have to agree with you on the movies, they are sooo boring. As for the characters I never truly liked Harry or Hermione for that matter but I don't have to love the characters to enjoy a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A massive HP fan! Hope you enjoy the reread. It's unusual to have someone love the books and not like the movies too. But I am glad I'm not the only one. I'm more a character based reader. But if you aren't, I can see why you still love them ;)

      Delete
  3. Noooo you must read on! Hermione is supposed to be an insufferable know-it-all in the beginning, but she gets really badass. ;)

    I did think you would be in Ravenclaw. I'm a proud Hufflepuff myself. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will because of the pressure from a fangirling friend, ahaha :) I hope the transformation happens soon though!

      I can totally see how that suits you ^.^

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Harry Potter. My sister did when were younger. I think I just missed the boat on this one. I want to try off of GP but I have a feeling I won't be becoming a Harry Potter fanatic anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get the feeling I would have loved these so much if I'd read them when I was younger!

      Delete
  5. I love the Harry Potter books! For me it was quite difficult to fall into as well but by the time i read the third book, I got more into it. I've still gotta read the last book though!

    I'm a Slytherin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll have a huge turn in opinion when I get to the right book as well. We'll see :3

      Delete
  6. I was sorted into Slytherin but I'd rather be in Hufflepuff. I think Hufflepuff is the cosiest house. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series and I use to be a big fan girl but not any more. I just grew out of it. Although I still get excited whenever something new from the Harry Potter universe gets released. Perhaps you could just enjoy the movies? There may be one that you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like it would be. I really get the mindset these are best when started at a young age, but you're never too old to be a fangirl. Maybe I should try the third movie :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't even read Harry Potter. I have seen a couple of the movies just because my children had them on at the house. I do hope to read them soon and hope I do enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll love them when you get the chance to read them!

      Delete
  8. I've read them all and watched them all, except for the new HP book - The Cursed Child. I am getting to that soon. I'm sorry you didn't like them but perhaps it's because the earlier books are meant for children? As the books go along, they mature. I dunno, just a thought. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like that one. It amazes me that things are still being published in the series! I'm hoping to love it more as the characters mature. Fingers crossed c:

      Delete
  9. I'm so sad you don't love Harry Potter but I guess I can understand. Maybe your opinion would've been different if you read them when you were younger? I know the first three books may seem childish sometimes since they are meant for a much younger audience.

    Ravenclaw does suit you! I'm a mighty and proud Hufflepuff. I had sorted myself years ago right after a read the books (back in 2009) and then Pottermore confirmed it :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do believe I might have loved them more if I read them when I was younger. Hopefully the fourth book might captivate me some more?

      Delete
  10. Gee...I'm not sure which house I belong in. I know, I know, get with the program, Lonna. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha maybe you'll take the quiz one day and know ^^

      Delete
  11. I think it is okay to not like something everyone is fangirling over and I am pretty sure you are not the only one. I also think it might depend of when you read them - I grew up with the books so there's more of a connection between me and the Harry Potter series as I waited each year for the next book - plus, why the first books are more simplistic, the plot thickens in the next ones and some of the things that happen near the end were planned from the first books - which was surprising for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been good for me, to find some other people who aren't the biggest fans through blogging. I think I would've loved them more if I had started as a child! I am looking forward to better plots and plot twists in the future books now :)

      Delete
  12. The question has to be asked: what did Hermione do to annoy you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know? I just feel like she acts too much like a know-it-all. Which she is, but it could be nice to be humbling sometimes...

      Delete
  13. Hello lovely! This is the first time I've come across a "reader addict" that does not like Harry Potter. This kind of story was never my cup of tea (even when I was little).
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been sorted twice; Gryffindor 1st and Ravenclaw 2nd. I am not a total potterhead, but I love the books more than the movies. I love Hermione, though. That's the great things about characters, not everyone will love them. Hell, I love a good villain, to be honest. Give me the villains!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I wonder which one you feel more like you belong to! Or maybe your personality changes a bit with time. I am glad you like her!

      Delete
  15. I have read all the Harry Potter's and to be honest thought the earlier books were better than the later ones. I liken the series to my experience of the Narnia books - although I did read those as a child and was actually far too old by the time Harry Potter came out ;-) But with both series, I loved the first books, liked the second and third, and kept gradually losing enthusiasm through the rest.
    Maybe you should quit now?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... it's always sad when that happens with a series! Maybe I should...

      Delete