Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Some Writer [Book Review]

Hello there!

Title: Some Writer!
Author: Melissa Sweet
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Published Date: 4th October 2014
Rating: 4 Stars

*Thank you to HMH Kids for the review copy*


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis:  “SOME PIG,” Charlotte the spider’s praise for Wilbur, is just one fondly remembered snippet from E. B. White’s Charlotte’s Web. In Some Writer!, the two-time Caldecott Honor winner Melissa Sweet mixes White’s personal letters, photos, and family ephemera with her own exquisite artwork to tell his story, from his birth in 1899 to his death in 1985. Budding young writers will be fascinated and inspired by the journalist, New Yorkercontributor, and children’s book author who loved words his whole life. This authorized tribute is the first fully illustrated biography of E. B. White and includes an afterword by Martha White, E. B. White's granddaughter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This book is a non-fiction biography of E.B. White’s life for young readers and adults alike. The funny thing is that I won this book in a giveaway which I really can’t remember entering at all! It was on Instagram but I am very happy to have won because I really enjoyed reading this book.

When I started reading it I was unaware of the fact that E.B. White is the author of Charlotte’s Web and Stuart Little. Although I haven’t read the latter I’m well acquainted with the movie as it was part of my childhood. Anyway, I didn’t realise I had read any of the author’s works so I assumed I was reading about an author who was entirely unfamiliar to me. I don’t even know how I might have missed that…


I was so happily shocked when I came to the realization that I did know this author and have actually read some of their works. There’s something different about reading a biography when you are more involved in the author/celebrity’s life and feel like you share some sort of connection with them.

But even if I hadn’t realised this, I would’ve still enjoyed the book. Because I’d really been enjoying the simplistic and clear style in the way that this biography was told. If I was a child or an adult I would clearly be able to get the idea of the way E.B. White lived and how he was the kind of writer who wouldn’t obey rules and regulations and just wrote what he wanted to. He wrote what made him happy. He loved life and his family and his barn full of animals. He went on things like unannounced road trips where he would travel the country and do work for free dinners and meals just to experience going with the flow and living in the moment. He saw the value in the little things and this biography showed me that.


I also really loved the format and illustrations/art included in this biography. There is a boring way to tell a biography, but the artwork in this book really does speak for itself. As E.B. White himself is incredibly creative, it just seemed so fitting that his biography was told with creativity as well. I loved it and this book is beautiful both in word content and art content alike.

It’s a short read and really quick – I finished it in a single day. For someone who struggles with non-fiction but still wants to know more about the authors they admire (like me), this is the perfect way of telling a biography. I could only wish that there were more out there like this one. ^.^


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gif Summary:


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Should only autobiographies exist or do you think it’s alright for others to pay tribute to a writer or celebrity after their death with a biography?


Olivia-Savannah x

20 comments:

  1. I think it's perfectly alright to write about another life's work so long as it's handle with care and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love nonfiction so this might be perfect for me although I haven't read any biographies at all, I think... And the illustrations look so awesome from what I can see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a really good place to start with biographies :)

      Delete
  3. Both books by White were some of my favorite childhood reads. I think we had to read both of them in Elementary school. This sounds like a great biography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White's novels are a favourite for children in primary school, I do believe :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you really enjoyed this one! So great that this will also be easy to read for young readers, so maybe they will be inspired to become a writer too! I like autobiographies but also biographies, I think biographies sometimes re-spark interest in a certain author, celebrity, etc. (especially if they have passed on)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will really be able to inspire some younger ones :3 I personally usually end up reading autobiographies more, but you are definitely right. Biographies are good for those celebrities who have passed on but never wrote their own autobiography.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I think it's totally okay for others to pay tribute to the people who inspire them. As long as they do proper research, I have no problems with it. CW is one of my favorite childhood books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! As long as everything is done in the proper way, I really approve too. I'm glad you like it too ;)

      Delete
  6. I loved Charlotte's Web as a kid!
    I don't usually read a lot of non fiction but this sounds great. I am glad you enjoyed it. It's always nice to get to know the author behind the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! Neither do I, so I was surprised by how I liked this one :3

      Delete
  7. Glad you enjoyed this, I loved Charlotte's web as well - one of my all-time favorites. Great post! x Benish @ Beenazai

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy reading biographies or autobiographies of authors. I loved Stuart Little. I'm yet to read Charlotte's Web, maybe I'll finally get around to it this year.
    Biographies work when they are honest and do the person justice, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be one for you then! I hope you get the chance to squeeze it in this year ;)

      Delete
  9. Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite books as a kid. I'll have to check this biography of the author out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete