Friday, 20 January 2017

The Rhine Valley [My Travels]

Hi everyone! Good morning :3

My travels is a series here on Olivia's Catastrophe where I talk about the places I have been to, and what they were like. I want you all to come on my trips with me!


This post is going to be about our trip to Germany in the summer of 2016. We went to Efe, which is also known as the Rhine Valley. It was absolutely beautiful there We stayed in a little apartment kind of house, surrounded by all this greenery and nature. In fact, everywhere we went, we were surrounded by blue skies and lovely green. It was absolutely beautiful.






At one point in our trip we decided we would do a little hike, and walk. My younger sister is in a wheelchair, so when it got to the muddy parts it required a bit more arm strength than I think us girls expected. It was tough going and we didn't complete the trail (we double backed at one point.) It was fun, but very very exhausting as well. My family aren't the type to usually go on hikes when it comes to holidays as well, so this was something new to us!





We also went to a castle. It's kind of tradition in my family that whenever we go on a holiday altogether, that we do stop by some sort of castle. This one was nice, pretty quiet, and we could climb a lot and take nice pictures from a high up place. I enjoyed it. :3



We took a day trip to Cologne as well, so we could see some of the sights there. I really loved discovering the cathedral and everything it had in store for us. It was absolutely breath taking. The stain glass windows were gorgeous, the floor artwork had me wanting to take pictures every time I took a single step, and it was just... it was just so lovely and magnificent! If you go to Cologne, make sure you stop by there!




 Of course, that wasn't the only thing we did in Cologne. We wandered around and admired the view. We managed to find a bridge with locks, and if you know me, you know how much I love the idea of leaving locks on bridges as memories. So I took quite a few photos there as well. 





There were also quite a few trips to eat out. So of my favourites included a smoked salmon and egg bagel which I loved, and some pork which I had for dinner one day. Food always makes me happy :3


We visited a zoo, and I have to admit - not all the owls looked very happy to be there. There were museum trips, boat rides and even a beach trip. (Fun fact: even though I look happy in that beach picture, it is actually freezing...)





That's all I have to say about my trip in Germany with the family! It was a lot of fun :3 Even though we have been to Germany a few times because it's so close to the Netherlands, we'd never been to this place before and it was so nice to explore. Thanks for joining me by reading this blog post!

If you want to follow my travels and stories as they happen to me, then all you need to do is add me on snapchat. Just steal my code from down below:


New Video! My video review of The Tunnel by Helene Louard!



Olivia's Question: Have you ever been to Germany before? Would you like to go?

Olivia-Savannah x 

34 comments:

  1. Rhine Valley looks gorgeous. Thank you for sharing all of the pictures. I love that you try to see a castle every time. We always try to add a National Park to our travels and a theme park with rollercoasters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we aren't the only ones with traditions as well! That sounds like a lot of fun, each and every time :)

      Delete
  2. I've been to Germany once, but never down the Rhine Valley. Your photos make it look beautiful and I love the castle :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you get to go there sometime in the future! The castle was lovely ^.^

      Delete
  3. I flew home from Switzerland w/a layover in Frankfurt once, and while visiting my mother's cousin's family in Schaffhausen, we nipped over the border one evening for a schereschnitt exhibition/show. That is the extent of my experience with Germany. I'd love to go back someday and actually get to see some of it in the day time! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been nice to pop over the border like that. But I do hope you get to go for an extended stay sometime in the future!

      Delete
  4. I love to travel, and it is my mission to get out of this country for at least 2 weeks, soon. I want to visit as many cities on Europe as I can. The only travel I've done outside the US is a Caribbean cruise back in 2011. However, there is a lot of my country that I haven't seen, so I am going to visit those places soon. I really want to see the Redwood Forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always important to explore your country a lot as well as exploring others. I'm so glad you have it in mind to do both, and I hope you get to doing so as well ;)

      Delete
  5. The only time I've been to Germany was to Movie Park when I was really little so I don't remember it. *sniffles* But my dream is to someday go visit the site of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. I may have a slight obsession with the history of it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww :( But we are so close to the country! Hopefully sometime in the future you can just hop on over and explore a little ^.^

      Delete
  6. What an awesome trip! I want to go to a castle someday. These pictures look amazing. It looks like you had a really nice time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to! They can be truly magnificent D:

      Delete
  7. THESE PICTURES. THAT PLACE. I need to visit it one day ! You're so lucky to live so close to a place like this! <3 I would go there and never leave. ;) And what was that you were eating again? Was that eggs and tomatoes I saw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love going there one day! It's so nice to be close. It was eggs and smoked salmon on a bagel. A-breakfast-bagel-kinda-thing ;)

      Delete
  8. I love the pictures with nature! So much green! And I love the pictures that you took at the castle!
    I want to visit Germany, hopefully pretty soon it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love it there, especially with all the greenery <3

      Delete
  9. Hiii
    your article is nice!It made me discover more about Cologne
    I was there a few years ago with my classroom but we only stayed 3 days during the Christmas period and we only saw Christmas markets and chocolate museums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it! And that you were able to enjoy your time there :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, I didn't know you went to Germany! The Rhine valley sure is beautiful, and the other things you did look very fun as well. Glad you enjoyed your time there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nice time there and I can't wait to explore more of Germany in the future ^.^

      Delete
  11. Your pictures are beautiful! That's so cool that you live in the Netherlands and vacationed in Germany. Those are actually two places I want to go the most! My mom's family immigrated from Germany so I'm interested to see where they may have lived. :)

    Happy Reading,
    Miranda @ Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about Europe is how close other countries are, so it really is great to just drive to other countries for a couple of days. I hope you get to go over and visit sometime too x

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous pictures! I'll be heading to Europe this spring for a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This brings back so many memories of my trip to the Rhine Valley. Mine was MANY years ago (1996), but I saw many of these same things!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool that even though we went during different times, we managed to see the same places ;)

      Delete
  14. I love the compositions of the photos, especially the railroad one. It has a nice focal point. Plus, I like capturing the unexpected and few people think to look down to capture that. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your article about Germany. The landscapes photos are really lovely and you look lovely too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is BEAUTIFUL! These photos are making me want to go on a Europe tour. It's on my bucket list of things I want to do and I've just added Rhine Valley to my list (my mental list, I don't actually have a physical list... though maybe I should start one). I don't think I've ever seen locks on bridges, I love the idea of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are going to be touring Europe, then this is definitely a great place to stop by and visit :3 Locks on bridges make me so happy and are so aesthetically pleasing!

      Delete
  17. Loving the pictures - looks like you had a brilliant, albeit cold, time with the family! I went to Cologne back in year 9 with my school - it's so stunning right?!

    I hope you get to travel to other nice places and high heights soon :D

    Amy xo

    www.heavenly-freedom.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little chilly, but it was perfectly alright while we were there! It really is a nice place. Thank you, Amy x

      Delete