Thursday, 26 January 2017

The Sky and The Sea [Book Review]

Hello there!

Title: The Sky and the Sea
Author: Kevin J. Johnson
Publisher: AuthorHouse
Published Date: 22nd July 2013
Rating: 2 stars

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*


---------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis: "Back to the sea," someone said, and many agreed, so they went. Forsaking the land, they stepped cautiously into the waters, like newborns opening their eyes to peer at the world for the first time. What they found was a world that itself, seemed to be alive--shifting and swaying like some gigantic animal. And it was here they found their new home among the rocks and coral, the fish and fauna. Flowing through the water's veins, they quickly became woven into the sea's intricate pattern. But they never forgot those who had stayed behind. And they longed, one day, to be with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Review: The Sky and the Sea is a collection of mostly poetry and a few short stories which I flew through. It took me under half an hour to consume the whole thing, which was very fast. So here are my thoughts…

When I started off with the reading, I got very excited. The first poem was very good, and it was moving and deep. I was so satisfied that the rest of the poems would be this way as well. But after that first one, it got a little… juvenile and young in the writing style. The poems weren’t as good quality as the first one, and I quickly understood why the author chose to put that one first. I think the writing needs a bit more refining, and some of the poems seemed to have little… point?


However, the author’s use of rhyme was always good. His short stories were mostly good, although there were only two or three – far too few for me to really consider this collection a collection of poetry and short stories. I wanted there to be more stories in order for me to truly think of it in this way.

I think the theme of it being about the sky and sea was prominent in most poems… but the author strays from it from time to time. I mean, there was a poem about popcorn and watching movies! I wondered how that fit in with anything at all, but to each their own…


I felt like there needed to be more a conclusive end to the collection as a whole.

I did have some favourites. IMperfect was the first poem and it was incredibly well done. If a Tree Falls… was also meaningful, and Floating on Ashes and Cinders was beautifully written. My favourite short story had to be The Great Philosopher. I loved it, until the end. Because I was tracking a deeper meaning to the story but then the end kinda ruined that. But the beginning was really good.





All in all, I just don’t think this collection was one for me…

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gif Summary:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: What’s your favourite poem?

Olivia-Savannah x


24 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of poetry in general. A poem about popcorn and movies sounds a bit different to be sure. Sorry this collection wasn't better for you. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, then this wouldn't be one for you in that case! It was very... unique?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collections like this one are usually pretty hit and miss. It sounds like this one was more of a miss for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - they either go really well or not too good :/

      Delete
  4. I'm not good with poem collections, but thank you for giving this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate poetry even though I don't read a ton of it. I like the idea of an anthology of poems and I own a couple of them. I'm glad you could find a couple of favorites in this collection, they sound interesting just from their titles :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you're someone else who enjoys poetry. I really love good poems :)

      Delete
  6. Not really a poetry fan, per say. I do like stories written in verse, but I can't quite connect with straight up poetry. Sorry you didn't love this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it doesn't work out for you, then it just doesn't.

      Delete
  7. It's a shame this collection didn't live up to the standard of its first poem. I love strong poetry books, but would give this one a miss I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a poetry book works out for me, it can be a truly wonderful reading experience.

      Delete
  8. In terms of poetry, I like anything from Maya Angelou.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read poetry in years. I must say that I like old school poets such as Frost and Wordsworth. Too bad this collection was a flop, better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old school is usually my favourite kind as well, but I'm trying to find some modern favourites...

      Delete
  10. Don't know about my favorite poem but get this I'll say my two favorite poets are Bob Dylan and Dr Seuss
    Like your blog by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Seuss is a brilliant poet, and accessible to so many people as well! And thank you ^.^

      Delete
  11. This is Kevin J. Johnson, author of The Sky and the Sea: Poetry and Prose. First off, let me say, this is not an anthology. I wrote all of the poems and stories. I chose the title "The Sky and the Sea" because a lot (but not all of the poems) either deal with one "element" or the other. Also, one of the poems has this same title, and since I felt it was one of the strongest pieces, I chose it as the title to the book. I am sorry this reviewer didn't like the that much, but it did receive favorable reviews from Kirkus and Amazon. I encourage readers to check out those reviews, as well as the book itself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are the links.

      https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/kevin-j-johnson/the-sky-and-the-sea-QWtHKXig/

      https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Sea-Poetry-Prose/dp/1481766449/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486235197&sr=8-1&keywords=the+sky+and+the+sea%3A+poetry+and+prose

      Delete
    2. Thank you for explaining your reasoning and why you wrote the way that you did. Hopefully readers will check out more reviews!

      Delete
  12. No problem. Thank you for taking the time and effort to review it.

    ReplyDelete