Wednesday, 8 February 2017

The Sky is Everywhere [Book Review]

Hello everyone!

Title: The Sky is Everywhere
Author: Jandy Nelson
Publisher: Dial Books
Published Date: 9th March 2010
Rating: 3 Stars


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: The Sky is Everywhere was a young adult novel I had in my TBR pile for a long time, and finally got around to read as a buddy read with Hannahreadstoomuch on Instagram. Her bookstagram account is BEAUTIFUL so you should definitely check it out. It was a blast to read with her.

I absolutely, head over heels, fell in love with the beautiful writing in this novel. There were some descriptions which were just so accurate that I couldn’t help but think the author had experienced some of the losses that were personal to me as well. The descriptions… everything was just perfection.

Especially when it came to developing the theme of grief, which is very present in the novel as this family has just lost a daughter. Nelson writes, “My sister dies over and over again every day.” And when I read that line, I think it perfectly describes how it feels to be in mourning. At least, when it came to my cases of personally feeling as if I was torn in two by the death of someone close to me. I can’t imagine what it would be like for it to be a sister. And seeing as I have three sisters, I don’t really want to imagine that.


I really loved the quirky and cool characters. We have Lennie’s Uncle, who everyone seems to fall in love with. He has a thing for bugs, weed, and sitting in trees. When he’s not off having another wedding. And then Gram – how I loved Gram. She had her own unique way of looking at the world. Through the story, we learn that she isn’t perfect despite how hard she tries to be so. But no one is perfect, and it’s good to read novels such as these to remind ourselves that not even adults have to be perfect.

Lennie and Joe both have a passion and an addiction to music. I loved seeing how much they loved it. When people have a passion for something it clearly shows in their whole being. I loved that. Lennie is also someone who writes poetry and leaves it everywhere – on buses, on coffee cups she puts in the bin, on park benches. We get to see this poetry included in the novel, and the format in which that is done is pretty cool. It was playful, beautiful at times, and contributed a lot to the story and her character too.

Lennie also had an addiction to the novel Wuthering Heights. Personally, I deterst that novel with a burning passion. (Which is another story.) Although the ending – and how it relates to this novel in a small way – made me incredibly happy and satisified. Hehe :3 You’ll have to read it to find out exactly what I mean.


The only reason why this novel got the serious back pedal from me which knocked it from 4 to a 3 star rating, was the cheating. I really don’t like reading about cheating in books – maybe because it’s something I so strongly disagree with it in real life. Maybe I wouldn’t mind if the reason were particularly justified. But if the only excuse is because ‘you’re attracted to each other, and you just can’t explain it…’ Well, that just doesn’t cut it as a good enough reason for me.

I liked Joe a lot… I wasn’t really a fan of Toby. I never really got a grip on his character because he seemed so aloof. However, Joe was so alive, and energetic, and I could pretty much feel his presence jumping out of the pages at me.


Last thing that I want to mention is that I don’t mean to boast… but look at my edition. THE PAGES ARE EDGED IN BLUE. I don’t say this often, but I just have to say it now. My edition is WAY cooler than yours ;) (Unless, y’know, we have the same edition. Then you’re cool too.)


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gif Summary:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

Olivia’s Question: Have you ever left something behind on the street, or in a hotel room, etc, for someone else to find?


Olivia-Savannah x

22 comments:

  1. It's not just me that didn't like Wuthering Heights!! Yay!

    Stephanie Jane @ Literary Flits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have her other book, I'll Give You the Sun, and I hear it's better than this one. I have both an audio copy and paperback, I just can't seem to start it. I was almost tempted to buy this book, but I will probably borrow it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people have told me it is her better novel as well. I might give that one a try someday as well. I hope you'll be able to like it when you do borrow it.

      Delete
  3. Once in a while, I'll leave a message in a sign-in book in a hotel I've stayed at. =) I have an idea! I'm traveling again soon...I might leave something and link it back to FLYLēF...percolating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe that sounds like a good idea! I hope it goes down well ;)

      Delete
  4. I have left something in a hotel for someone to find on purpose. It's called a tip! LOL, I am feeling silly today :)

    The book cover and your edition of it does look cool. The synopsis didn't pull me in though so I won't purposely look out for it...

    I am glad you enjoyed the writing. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe a tip sounds like it fits my category for leaving something behind though!

      Maybe not one for you. But it was a nice read!

      Delete
  5. You can totally brag about your edition! I haven't read this book, but I don't like cheating in books, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stumbling across beautiful editions :3

      Delete
  6. Yes, that edition DESERVES the spotlight! I've been wanting to read this book for forever but I'm just not sure how I'll deal with the cheating aspect of the story. I DETEST cheating in books since I also am so against it in real life. Reading about it in fiction isn't any easier XD I love your pictures btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the pictures <3 Yeah, I really am not a fan of cheating in real life either which made it hard to read it. But I say it's worth giving it a go?

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with you in that I am not a fan of cheating in books. It is just not necessary. Books that deal with grief can be tough but powerful if done well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I just don't see its worth. It was very powerful in terms of the handling of grief!

      Delete
  8. I played the clarinet in high school and still play sometimes- so that made me want to read this right away. I am glad to hear that you loved the writing style. Definitely sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh then you would be able to relate to the main character for that reason! And I think it's so cool that you play the clarinet :D

      Delete
  9. At first I thought you meant cheating like on a test or in a sport, and then I was like 'Ohhhhhh....' Lol! I really shouldn't read blogposts when I'm tired! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe nooo, the other kind of cheating ;)

      Delete
  10. Love that the characters really spoke to you in the read. What a pretty cover too

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book.

    I read it many years ago but I can still remember everything that went down. Love, love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to love this one when you read it, Joy ^.^

      Delete