Saturday, 22 April 2017

Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass & Sylvie and Bruno [Mini Reviews]

Hey there!

Three mini reviews coming your way...

Title: Alice in Wonderland (Alice #1)
Author:  Lewis Carroll
Publisher:  Macmillan
Published Date: 1865
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: One day, a young girl named Alice is sitting on the riverbank with her sister, when she sees a curious looking white rabbit. She soon after falls into the magical world of Wonderland, where she meets a series of strange creatures.

Review: I was so excited to be reading the original! It was about time, especially after all those retellings like Insanity by Cameron Jace amongst many others. Reading this, I quickly realised that those retellings took the elements they wanted from the story and changed a few, leaving quite a lot of it out.

It was an easy book to read even though it was a classic. No complicated language in this one. It was humorous and I liked the twists on words and word play that there was quite a lot of in this one. I liked Alice’s curiosity and the way she thought about things.

I was pretty confused throughout the majority of this though. It was so nonsensical! I am sure there is a lot of meanings you can read into this fuddle of a story, and maybe some that we choose to read into it that Carroll never meant to represent. But I, for one, couldn’t understand which made this story seem like a lot of nonsense jumbled together. I hate confusing stories and that bothered me a lot.

The Chesire Cat Ring is from Inspire Fandom.

The descriptions were short but essential to the story for understanding (or what little of there this is.) I did like how there were a few life lessons scattered along the story, which were nice to see.

Quote: “And what is the use of a book,” thought Alice, “without pictures or conversations.”

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Through the Looking Glass (Alice #2)
Author:  Lewis Carroll
Publisher:  Macmillan
Published Date: 1871
Rating: 2 stars

Synopsis: Nothing is quite what it seems once Alice journeys through the looking-glass, and Dodgson's wit is infectious as he explores concepts of mirror imagery, time running backward, and strategies of chess-all wrapped up in the exploits of a spirited young girl who parries with the Red Queen, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, and other unlikely characters. In many ways, this sequel has had an even greater impact on today's pop culture than the first book.

Review: Oh dear, I disliked this one even more than the first one. It was just as nonsensical, but even more so if that was possible. Unlike the first book this one was harder for me to follow, and because of that I got bored in some places and it was pretty hard for me to work my way through this book as short as it is.

I loved the poetry though. I have to say, even if I am not one for Lewis Carroll’s stories, I definitely love his poetry. There were poems scattered throughout this story all the way and in those I could deem a meaning and possibility things he was referring to. But in the story itself? I couldn’t find any meaning at all…

I don’t really have much to say. But it was a good to experience the originals of this story. I will be trying some more Lewis Carroll in the future hopefully.

The Chesire Cat Ring is from Inspire Fandom.

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Title: Sylvie and Bruno (Sylvie and Bruno #1)
Author:  Lewis Carroll
Publisher:  Macmillian
Published Date: 1889
Rating:  2 stars
 
Synopsis:  Carroll's last major work: bizarre adventures of 2 young children, combining Carrollian nonsense, linguistic play and philosophical reflection. 46 illustrations

In this novel, Carroll set out to write a children's morality tale that was more typical of the style of children's fiction of his day.

Review: I think that synopsis kind of got this book down to pat. Sylvie and Bruno were two kids who this man seemed to meet in his dreams whenever he fell asleep and believed were faeries. I am not entirely sure what this book was about, and it seemed to just be a collection of stories about what happened when he was asleep and going on adventures with the two children. I know that this is supposed to be childrens literature for his time and I can respect that, but it was a bit hard for me to follow myself.

I think it would’ve been nicer if it simply stuck to being about tales of a man and the two children. Instead we see glimpses of his real life when he is awake and not simply imagining which is a bit annoying because it is hard to tell when he is switching from real life to the dream life. It happens suddenly and well, sometimes I got a bit lost as to when the transitions were happening.

This book was still nonsensical like the rest of his works. I don’t entirely understand them, but I understood this more than Alice in Wonderland.

The Chesire Cat Ring is from Inspire Fandom.

Links: Goodreads and Amazon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Olivia’s Question: Do you like reading the original stories which fuel many of the retellings?


Olivia-Savannah x 

20 comments:

  1. Nonsensical is the perfect word to describe Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. And that edition is so lovely that you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the edition <3 Ahaha yes, no better way to describe it...

      Delete
  2. Well I guess it is safe to say Lewis Carroll might not be for you. He's work is weird and nonsensical and I remember reading Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass several times to try and understand everything. And although I got some stuff, I know a lot went over my head but I believe that's what fascinates me. What was inside his head however messed up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think this is the end of me reading his works. Nonsensical just isn't my type of read I suppose. Even though the lack of understanding may work for others.

      Delete
  3. I tried reading Alice in Wonderland but it was so hard for me to follow because I wasn't very interested in Carroll's writing style and I agree, it was nonsensical, so I DNF'd it. After reading your reviews and thinking about how I DNF'd Alice in Wonderland, I don't think I'm going to read more of Carroll's books unfortunately. However, I must say,the edition you have does look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I share your viewpoints when it comes to the book. I didn't DNF it, because it was so short and I was reading it on holiday so there wasn't much else for me to read anymore.

      Delete
  4. I loved Lewis Carroll’s work when I was a kid. I agree that it’s nonsensical. I probably wouldn’t have the patience for it as an adult. Great mini reviews!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I would have enjoyed them more if I was younger as well...

      Delete
  5. I tend to prefer the original versions of classics, though, there have been retellings that I love.

    Lonna @ FLYLēF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have an equal love in my heart for them both ^.^

      Delete
  6. I do like the originals, especial fairy tales as they tend to be a bit darker and more sinister.
    I haven't read Carroll's original works so I am surprised to hear it's nonsensical.
    Good mini reviews!

    Dinh @ Arlene's Book Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the originals of fairytales are a lot darker and even sadder sometimes... (The Little Mermaid...) Yes, they are so. But that seems to fascinate a lot of people!

      Delete
  7. Sorry these weren't better for you. I listened to the first book and did enjoy it but the audio was really well done and may have made the experience better. Even though I enjoyed the first, I haven't felt the need to move on to the second. I hope you enjoy your next read a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you could like it though! I think most people tend to stop reading after the first one, as I should've :P

      Delete
  8. I'm a big fan of Lewis Caroll, but I must admit that his writing doesn't make much sense...but I think that is what these books are supposed to be like because he is trying to do something new. It is like experimental art. He is trying to make us see everything in a new light. I think there is logic to these books, but it is a reverse kind of logic. I can't say I understand it fully myself, but I liked his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that is what appeals to a lot of people. Then again, I am not so good with experimental or the more modern types of visual art either, so maybe I simply don't have the mind for it myself. I think it comes down to personal taste more than anything in my case :) Glad you could like them ^.^

      Delete
  9. I actually hated Alice in Wonderland. I'm really glad I didn't try to read the 2nd if it was even more nonsensical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of Lewis Carroll's books yet, though a friend of mine has been trying to persuade me for years. I haven't been a huge fan of any of the retellings or movie adaptations of his books that I've seen/read so far, which has made me reluctant to try the originals. I know it's not fair to judge Carroll's works by their imitators, but it's sadly what I find myself doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the retellings were what I enjoyed, so I don't know how much you will like the original. But the significant difference may work for you? I'm not sure...

      Delete