Thursday, 16 March 2017

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children [Movie Review]

Hey everyone!

Today I wanted to a do a movie discussion with you all because I watched Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. The same day that I watched the movie was also the day I finished the book, because I only speed read the book because I wanted to have that knowledge before I saw the movie. That’s just me :D

So, the trailer was AHMAZING and I was really really excited to be seeing this movie. But to be honest, the trailer itself was better than the actual movie itself in many ways. I’m not saying that it was a bad movie – it was okay. But there were definitely points that didn’t make sense, and some that just were different than the book and shouldn’t have been, and then there were some good points too.

First of all, let’s start with what they did differently from the book which I either approved or didn’t approve of. For starters, they changed some of the characters. This both worked and didn’t work at the same time. One of the characters that were changed were Miss Peregrine herself. Instead of being someone who was all for manners and the such, instead they made her someone who was much more focused on time and really looking after her children. And I LOVED that change! It worked so well for the atmosphere of the movie, and the way in which she took control at all times, despite whatever was happening. The actress who played her pulled it off expertly. I was incredibly satisfied with her character.


They also switched Emma and Olive’s power. I wondered why they did that, but maybe it’s just because the peculiarity of air is cooler? They changed it from levitating to air – I see why; for the movie to work it had to be that way. I was fine with that. But I just didn’t like that the switched those powers up. Fire suited Emma’s personality so much! I do see why they did it though.

I also felt like Enoch’s character was interpreted pretty differently as well. He was jealous through and through in the movie, and that’s rather toned down in the book. Don’t get me wrong – I didn’t mind the jealousy at all! But they didn’t give him any personality outside of that, and that’s what bothered me quite a bit.

Another thing which was different were the addition of the twins. I loved the twins, even though they didn’t say much. I wish there was more of them in the movie! And their peculiarity was so cool, so it could have been even more epic if they were featured more.


Speaking of characters, let me just squeeze in that I loved Millard and Horace so much. They should’ve been included a bit more as well!

A small change they made which I didn’t understand the reasoning for which was why they changed the time of the loop from September 1940 to 1943. It made no difference at all on the movie in the slightest! So I was so confused as to why. It’s a number. Don’t change petty things that don’t need changing. #thebookwormrageisreal.

No let’s talk about the plot holes… and there were quite a few! At times, for instance – Emma is standing on the floor without a rope attached to her (she was holding it herself) and without her shoes on (they were in her hands with the rope in the scene I’m thinking of). That gives the impression that she can control the levitation herself. And if she doesn’t always levitate when she isn’t in her shoes or attached to a rope, then why does she even need them? It makes them pointless! She even conveniently levitated downwards when they needed to. That means she could do that at any point! If you want to make her be able to control her levitation, then fine. If you don’t, then fine. But don’t do half on half.


And then as well as that… the twins power itself. They use it once, as a last resort. But once I knew what it was, I couldn’t help thinking about why they hadn’t used it before? Half the issues in this movie could be solved if they unleashed the twins. But no… they don’t use their peculiarity when times call for it at all. So yeah, that was another thing that just didn’t make sense >.>

In fact, I felt like in general they really focused on four, maybe five characters and sort of downplayed all the rest of the peculiarities. They could’ve been used a lot more and I would’ve liked to see them in action. It’s hard in movies when there are powers for everyone to use them – I understand. But if Marvel can manage, so can they with this one :P

The costumes and the cinematography and all of that stuff were good. I liked all the effects, and I think it made it all look really pleasing to the eye. I didn’t really expect anything less from a Tim Burton movie though ;)


Another down was at the beginning, the acting was terrible. All the way up until he meets the kids, I felt like they were reading script lines… Which made me really worry about having to stay seated in that cinema for the next two something hours watching terrible acting. But the actors and actresses all warmed up to it, which made me happy. But yeah, it was a rough start.

I felt like the movie was slightly chaotic – they crammed a bit too much into one movie, and it kind of made the ending a bit rushed and way too fast paced.

ALL IN ALL THOUGH, this is not a bad movie. I’m complaining a lot and pointing everything out – but maybe I’m too critical. (Critical enough that my family doesn’t want to hear my comments and analyzing after a movie, so I write them all in a long review to you guys.) It was a decent watch and fairly enjoyable – I would give it three out of five stars. It just had a lot of issues with it too, which can easily be overlooked if you’re just sitting to watch a nice movie.



Olivia’s Question: Have you seen this movie? What did you think of it? And should I be a bit less critical while watching?


Olivia-Savannah x

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book so I would have nothing to compare it to, but I the way you describe the movie is very chaotic indeed. It also surprisingly sounds like a rush job. It's a shame that Tim Burton no longer makes you think "quality" anymore, instead it's just "dark weirdness."

    Thanks for your review Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this yet, but now I think I might not want to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this one yet only because I still need to read the book. I'm sure I'll be paying close attention to all the difference now that you've pointed it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just put it this way - My bf didn't seem very happy with the commentary I provided throughout the movie (he hasn't read the books). :) I did like the movie, though. I just think it would have been better if it followed the book more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the movie or read the book but Eva Green is a queen so I think I would love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Miss Peregrines before but I wanna read it again as I don't remember much about it. After I read it, I'm definitely gonna watch the movie since the trailer did look pretty cool!

    I think it's good that you were critical while watching the movie. For me, when a book to movie adaptation adds in the crucial (even little) details from the book, it just makes me like the movie more. In my opinion when they don't add them details and create plot holes etc it's quite disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do want to read this book and see the movie. I don't think I could read the whole book and then see the movie all in one day like you did but seeing the movie soon after finishing the book sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this movie. I didn't read the book so I didn't have any expectations whatsoever. I'm glad you're familiar with it enough to tell the little differences between the book and the film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHMYGOSH I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!! *ahem* I mean: I quite enjoyed this film and the book. Yes, you're totally right; plot-holes everywhere. I love Eva Green though, and it was both set in Wales and clearly filmed here!!!!! And it's like: yes! That is my home country! That's y gwlad, right there, in a film! XD Ha, I'm clearly overly-excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't love the movie as much as the book. Go figure! Too much change can be very disappointing. And I agree, if Marvel can do it, so could they. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this movie for the same reasons you did: the visuals are BEAUTIFUL, the actress who played Miss Peregrine was spot on, and overall, it kept me interested. I do agree with you though that it had a lot of faults. I didn't understand that year change either. What's the point of that?? Also, downgrading Enoch to a jealous boy with no other worth was a little annoying as was Emma's inconsistencies with her levitating. But all in all, I really liked it :) Lovely review, Olivia!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete